Poll Question: Winners?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [52.94%]
8 [47.06%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 12:21am
Aye but you'd feel like total sh*t tonight, and there'd be a million trolls on here right now.

Every silver lining has a big cloud.
Sponsored Links

daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 12:22am
Originally posted by howsadarethemods? howsadarethemods? wrote:

what we would give to have greeces reord of the last 10 years.
Oh ffs another gimp mod  posting shoite
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 12:51am
Originally posted by howsadarethemods? howsadarethemods? wrote:

what we would give to have greeces reord of the last 10 years.

We'd probably need a manager that implements a stringent defensive system rather than just play a the best players. Somebody like that Italian guy, Trapattoni.
Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 5:25am
Theo Gekas, they would play Greek music at the Ruhrstadion every time he scored for Vfl Bochum (20 goals in 32 games) was hilarious.
No luck last night though.

Edited by Mulvanystrasse - 30 Jun 2014 at 5:26am
liam_in_germany View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liam_in_germany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 6:07am
Fair play to the greeks, I never have them a hope an they may have invented lads ridin each other. But fair play to them
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

I hate that anti football term. As if there's a right and wrong way to play football. They play to their strengths and have the 2004 title to justify it.

Unlucky tonight. They were by far the better team over 120 minutes tonight. Missed chances at vital times will haunt them.

Using that logic what's the better team as its all about the result.

Costa Rica played to their strengths and won on the night and have to prove it.

You can't say they were unlucky and at the same time its all about the result.

surprised by your attitude tonight. You don't normally let emotions come to the surface of your arguments.

A better team is a team that dominated possession and created more chances.

But you want it both ways Coleman.

You say they are entitled to play whatever way they want not matter how defensive they are yet deserve sympathy when they go out.

They have not earned sympathy over the Years. They have been boring neutrals to tears for years.

Either its all about the result or its not and there is no room for emotion. Giving sympathy because they dominated the ball (they were playing a against ten men for 54 minutes ) is emotional.

My view is that they have been ruining games for ages now playing negative defensive football for years. They are entitled to do that, but don't expect my sympathy when they fail at it esp against ten men Costa Rica.

You can be emotional without resorting to insults and using terms like anti football.
My sympathy lies in the fact that they were the better team over the course of the match and still lost. Just like we were in the last 16 in 2002. Both the faith of the Greeks and ourselves is mirrored.

It appears from the tone of your posts you seem to hold the view that there is a right way and a wrong way to play football? They tried to play the so called right way when Santos took over and it was an abject failure. They went back to the tactic they know best and ended up in the knockout stages of the world cup for the first time in their history.

I have not been bored to tears and certainly don't think they have ruined games over the years by Greece. I get enjoyment watching their dogmatic approach to games. Sitting deep, bursting a bollock and never say die attitude whilst then launching forward and hitting teams on the counter or from set pieces. Just because its not your cup of tea doesn't mean it's the wrong way to play the game. As I already have said they have the euro 2004 title and now a last 16 berth (first time in their history as noted above) to justify their tactics.

I enjoy observing the tactics of the different nations at the world cup and how teams tweak certain things to try and gain an advantage. Greece are just one of those nations who provide a tactical headache for the opposition...that is something which I enjoy.

Not sure how good your Spanish is but if you're interested the Costa Rican coach has his own tactics website: www.jorgeluispinto.com
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 11:13am
Have to say that the peno's by the Costa Ricans were excellent. Really didnt fancy them to score after being out on their feet for the latter part of the game. I was only saying that I wouldnt have let Campbell anywhere near a peno but he took it very well. Great to see an underdog progressing far, reminiscent of our run at Italia 90, as George Hamilton may have mentioned once or twice last night.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Curiousdub Curiousdub wrote:

A few players where struggling to run at the end of extra time.

People where talking about how the extra time could impact how brazil get on against Colombia. It will be much worse for Costa Rica.

Heard this said often last night. I can't see how this will make that much difference 5 days later.
Both sides should have recovered sufficiently.
If anything, the Costa Ricans are more likely to be better suited to the climatic conditions than the Dutch and will have a slight advantage.

Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

4 pens pretty much down the middle. A bit witch-crafty for my liking

I keep saying this. Why don't keepers stand in the middle till the penalty is kicked. They're bound to save maybe 2 or so out  of 5.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 12:53pm
Coleman who did I insult, and where did I say there was a wrong way to play football.

You like their style and I don't . personal preference really. I am glad they are out. Its ironic that their supporters should moan about being unlucky as they win many games having not dominating them. Nobody has a divine right to win a football matches but I am not going to have sympathy for a team that gets beaten at their own game esp when it was against ten men.

Edited by Baldrick - 30 Jun 2014 at 12:53pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 1:28pm
Couldnt bring myself to watch the match but delighted for Costa Rica.... 

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 1:40pm

Coleman who did I insult, and where did I say there was a wrong way to play football.

You like their style and I don't . personal preference really. I am glad they are out. Its ironic that their supporters should moan about being unlucky as they win many games having not dominating them. Nobody has a divine right to win a football matches but I am not going to have sympathy for a team that gets beaten at their own game esp when it was against ten men.

There a couple of offensive posts in this thread where you have used expletives towards Greece. If that language was used towards us we would be up in arms and rightly so.

The tone and the comments themsleves - "ruining football for years" - clearly indicate a dislike for the way they play hence providing evidential material to suggest you believe the game should be played in a particular way.

I have no preference how the game should be played. I enjoy all styles of play, however, I do get a buzz when the underdog upsurps a team perceived as superior usually through the use of a particular set of tactics. In the case of Greece their tactic is essentially defensive.

I'm willing to leave it there. I look forward to seeing how Costa Rica plan to deal with the Dutch and vice versa. I make no bones about it...I am firmly in the under dog camp. Vamos Costa Rica!
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 1:51pm

where did I say there was a wrong way to play football.

the clue is in the anti bit of anti-football LOL
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Boban View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 2:05pm
But for a mixture of poor finishing,poor final ball and some great saves by Navas,Greece would have progressed comfortably.They were easily the better team,even before the sending off.So I'd also have sympathy for them.The game is all about different styles and teams maximising the players they have.Yes,Greece could have tried to play a high intensity,attacking game but with the players they have(a lot of them over 30)this would never have suited them.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 2:41pm

There a couple of offensive posts in this thread where you have used expletives towards Greece. If that language was used towards us we would be up in arms and rightly so.

The tone and the comments themsleves - "ruining football for years" - clearly indicate a dislike for the way they play hence providing evidential material to suggest you believe the game should be played in a particular way.

I have no preference how the game should be played. I enjoy all styles of play, however, I do get a buzz when the underdog upsurps a team perceived as superior usually through the use of a particular set of tactics. In the case of Greece their tactic is essentially defensive.

I'm willing to leave it there. I look forward to seeing how Costa Rica plan to deal with the Dutch and vice versa. I make no bones about it...I am firmly in the under dog camp. Vamos Costa Rica!

I could not give a flying sh*te if someone on a Greek forum when we were a joke at the Euros and said FCK off Ireland as you are poison to watch. In fact it would be refreshing that the usual patronising rubbish we did get from many fans if you are great fans etc etc.

Who did I offend by the way if they are offensive posts. Or is it an imaginary offence. You are getting offended hypothetically on behalf of Greek fans.

I am a neutral. I like to see entertaining games. The Greeks do not entertain me, when they play they tend to make the games boring for me. Hence when they get knocked out I am delighted. If I was not Irish I would think the same about us. I would not be offended if anybody was delighted that Ireland were knocked out of Italia 90 or the last Euros. We tend to be much to watch too. Although 2002 was different.,

Greece tend to ruin games for thie viewer and as a result I am delighted they are out. Good enough for them.

It can't be all about the result and then when the result foes not go their way look for sympathy.

Edited by Baldrick - 30 Jun 2014 at 2:42pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

They are playing anti football in my opinion but they are entitled to do it. I am not saying they should be forbidden. In my opinion its great that them and their negative tactics are out just like it was great when we got knocked out of 1990 and 2002 for many neutrals.   We played anti football in 1990 and not long after the rules changed and our tactics were never quite the same.
AKA pedantic kunt
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 2:56pm
Greece do play some dross football but they do get the results - Effectively the Stoke City of the International scene. 

Ireland play dross football too but we're not getting the results atm, there's a difference.

Edited by coyne - 30 Jun 2014 at 2:57pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 3:01pm
Very true coyne.
AKA pedantic kunt
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 3:24pm

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

They are playing anti football in my opinion but they are entitled to do it. I am not saying they should be forbidden. In my opinion its great that them and their negative tactics are out just like it was great when we got knocked out of 1990 and 2002 for many neutrals.   We played anti football in 1990 and not long after the rules changed and our tactics were never quite the same.
I agree with practically everything you've said on this Baldrick but I don't thnk we used negative tactics at all in 2002. I thought the McCarthy era was the most pleasing on the eye football we've played since I started watching Ireland.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic