You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Germany thrash us again?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Will they beat us by 4 goals or more home or away?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
41 [65.08%]
22 [34.92%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

not exactly true TJ  , we havent seen this team play a competitive game yet, lets see how it goes,

if we get pumped 5-1 by germany do I call for MON out then like I did for Trap ? I cant decide something like that yet.

I think the players will improve, i have good faith in coleman, mccarthy , hendrick ,meyler and brady to actually get better than they are now, maybe gibson too can improve . we can use walters mcgeady and long and try and drag out a few glory cameos from robbie , richie and JOS.

traps tactics and selections were dung , no amount of revisionism is going to change that.

O'Neill will pretty much pick the same players as Trap.

O'Neill and any other Irish manager should not be judged on a game against Germany. They are absolutely way ahead of us in terms of quality.

To a certain degree I'd agree with you HB, but if we set up and lie down the way we done against them at home 2 years ago then the management has to take some blame imo. 

I mean is anyone really expecting us to get anything from those two games, no? The OP has wrote us off before the campaign has even started, so its not surprised he has thrown around the word "trashing" on his thread. 

I'd be pretty confident if we had our best 11 on the field and we set up in a compact manner, to contain Germany we would avoid getting hammered by 5,6,7 goals. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 2:45pm
One of the big gripes with the previous regime was that we never beat a big team. 2001 being our last win over a world class team. When MON was appointed lads were getting very excited thinking that that would be rectified or at worst with Keane on board the players would no longer be afraid and give the big boys a real game.  Now it seems as if that aspiration has been put to one side. 

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

not exactly true TJ  , we havent seen this team play a competitive game yet, lets see how it goes,

if we get pumped 5-1 by germany do I call for MON out then like I did for Trap ? I cant decide something like that yet.

I think the players will improve, i have good faith in coleman, mccarthy , hendrick ,meyler and brady to actually get better than they are now, maybe gibson too can improve . we can use walters mcgeady and long and try and drag out a few glory cameos from robbie , richie and JOS.

traps tactics and selections were dung , no amount of revisionism is going to change that.

O'Neill will pretty much pick the same players as Trap.

O'Neill and any other Irish manager should not be judged on a game against Germany. They are absolutely way ahead of us in terms of quality.

To a certain degree I'd agree with you HB, but if we set up and lie down the way we done against them at home 2 years ago then the management has to take some blame imo. 

I mean is anyone really expecting us to get anything from those two games, no? The OP has wrote us off before the campaign has even started, so its not surprised he has thrown around the word "trashing" on his thread. 

I'd be pretty confident if we had our best 11 on the field and we set up in a compact manner, to contain Germany we would avoid getting hammered by 5,6,7 goals. 

Trap had a number of first team players out injured so we went into game with a weakened team, and Germany it must be said were excellent and punished every mistake we made.

I'd easily write us off now for our game in October .

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 4:48pm
actually don't think we will get trashed, whatever happens i can guarantee you it won't be as bad as the 6-1 home defeat. 

I also think the Germans are a very overrated team tbh, don't think they will get near winning this world cup. 
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 6:17pm
Take 5 or 6 first team players and it probably will be.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 6:35pm
Would expect us to be competitive but still lose both games. But you can say the same for every other non top seed team. In the last 4 qualifying campaigns how many points would Germany have dropped? I'd say it'd be similar to how much we dropped in the last campaign.

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 3:29am
Quote We had a depleted squad in the states, should have beaten Turkey and Serbia given our chances and our defending was very poor. O'Neill isn't stupid and will know we can't possibly go toe to toe against top opposition but at least he gave it a try along with trying McLean in the right forward position. The good thing is we're at least creating chances and were unlucky in some games. The defeats and the poor run of results are bad but as long as he learns from them

Two games finished goalless, two more ended in home defeats and poor performances. Another was a severe hammering. We're 6 months without a win, I would love to know where all these phantom chances and should have won games come from, because I didn't find them. It seems to be a case of getting 11(+6) guys in ragbag fashion and telling them to go out and play like a bunch of blokes out of a pub. Has he heard of the phrase "world rankings"?

We've just got battered by a side in second gear, losing the plot tactically into the bargain. The past 6 months was supposed to get that side organised and ready to go for the next campaign, it's not a holiday gig. He should know what his preferred starting line up is. He should have a clear vision of tactics, shape, and organisation by now. There's no evidence that any of that has been done and it will show when the serious business starts. With respect, we'll need a good bit more to our game than simply "having a go".

we are not competing with germany , we are in a group with three places going , if we live up to our seeding then we qualify.

We're in a group competing with three other teams for one qualifying spot, and a playoff where (thanks in part to recent results) we would be in Pot 2 for, ensuring a difficult playoff.

Because of the teams in the group, there'll be points dropped all over the shop, so Georgia may do an Armenia job on everyone, while Gibraltar have drawn with Slovakia and beaten Malta, so they could be a handful at home too. Getting out of the group is going to be at best, a struggle.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 3:37am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Because of the teams in the group, there'll be points dropped all over the shop, so Georgia may do an Armenia job on everyone, while Gibraltar have drawn with Slovakia and beaten Malta, so they could be a handful at home too. Getting out of the group is going to be at best, a struggle.

Errr...?
Those matches are completely irrelevant and weren't even official FIFA matches, both teams just scrambled together 16 domestic players and basically had a kickabout - Their only official friendly was the 4-1 loss to the Faroe Islands which speaks volumes at how pitiful they're going to be.

Germany will get 30 points by the end, it's pointless contesting with them.

Edited by coyne - 18 Jun 2014 at 3:45am
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 11:07am
Planning the second team qualifies automatically too you know,and best placed third team, its the other third team that go to the playoffs.
AKA pedantic kunt
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Planning the second team qualifies automatically too you know,and best placed third team, its the other third team that go to the playoffs.

in fairness, where did he say he did not know that? It is between Scotland, Poland, Georgia and ourselves and in a group that tight there is no way there will be a best third place spot.

You can disagree with it, but that his is argument. I would tend to agree with it but think he is over rating Georgia
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

in fairness, where did he say he did not know that? It is between Scotland, Poland, Georgia and ourselves and in a group that tight there is no way there will be a best third place spot.

You can disagree with it, but that his is argument. I would tend to agree with it but think he is over rating Georgia

Alot of people on here are over-rating Georgia - They will sit back with 11 men in their own half straight from kick-off and play for a 0-0 draw, teams who don't know how to break down defensive teams will drop points to them, I don't think we're one of them.

Edited by coyne - 18 Jun 2014 at 2:22pm
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Alot of people on here are over-rating Georgia - They will sit back with 11 men in their own half straight from kick-off and play for a 0-0 draw, teams who don't know how to break down defensive teams will drop points to them, I don't think we're one of them.

you are talking cack man, they are not the faroe islands. they wil very much much fancy their chances to beat us. they beat croatia at home in euro 2012 qualifiers, and got a draws with france and spain only beat them 1-0

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

you are talking cack man, they are not the faroe islands. they wil very much much fancy their chances to beat us. they beat croatia at home in euro 2012 qualifiers, and got a draws with france and spain only beat them 1-0

Says you! It was only 2 years ago we beat them 4-0 pre-Euro's in the friendlies, they've not exactly changed alot since then. They got a draw with France because they shoved 11 men in their own half for the entire match, like I exactly described Dead

Edited by coyne - 18 Jun 2014 at 2:40pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 2:42pm

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Says you! It was only 2 years ago we beat them 4-0 pre-Euro's in the friendlies, they've not exactly changed alot since then. They got a draw with France because they shoved 11 men in their own half for the entire match, like I exactly described Dead

We beat them 2-1 away from home on a neutral ground.

Add in the fact that our results recently are very poor, they will look to pick up a result against us.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Quote We had a depleted squad in the states, should have beaten Turkey and Serbia given our chances and our defending was very poor. O'Neill isn't stupid and will know we can't possibly go toe to toe against top opposition but at least he gave it a try along with trying McLean in the right forward position. The good thing is we're at least creating chances and were unlucky in some games. The defeats and the poor run of results are bad but as long as he learns from them

Two games finished goalless, two more ended in home defeats and poor performances. Another was a severe hammering. We're 6 months without a win, I would love to know where all these phantom chances and should have won games come from, because I didn't find them. It seems to be a case of getting 11(+6) guys in ragbag fashion and telling them to go out and play like a bunch of blokes out of a pub. Has he heard of the phrase "world rankings"?

We've just got battered by a side in second gear, losing the plot tactically into the bargain. The past 6 months was supposed to get that side organised and ready to go for the next campaign, it's not a holiday gig. He should know what his preferred starting line up is. He should have a clear vision of tactics, shape, and organisation by now. There's no evidence that any of that has been done and it will show when the serious business starts. With respect, we'll need a good bit more to our game than simply "having a go".

we are not competing with germany , we are in a group with three places going , if we live up to our seeding then we qualify.

We're in a group competing with three other teams for one qualifying spot, and a playoff where (thanks in part to recent results) we would be in Pot 2 for, ensuring a difficult playoff.

Phantom chances? Confused As usual you're talking bolix. Watch the Serbia match again and don't forget apart from us missing a few chances in the first half against Turkey, they still should have been down to 10 men after the opening few minutes. Those games could've been won before the other teams came back. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
TheMightyQuinn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMightyQuinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 4:32pm
Trap just stayed a little too long. he did well to restore us to a respectable side, but he was too stubborn and stifled all of the growth he helped to cultivate. His unwillingness to pick our more taltend players, try to expand our tactics, or deviate from his "favorites" bit him on the ass. We could only play one way and if we came up against a quality side that was dialed in, we got beat....

We should have canned him after the Euro's... better an hour too early than a minute too late. (I dont mean we should have canned him because of the Euros...I mean because he had taken us as far as that style was going to take us. I was pro Trap up until the Euros and thought he did a good job- but his plan expired).

while we may not match Germany in quality, we should not accept taking 0 points from them.
someone in this group is going to get some points from them, and our players/ staff need to believe it can be us. (example: Sweden against them in the qualifiers). We won't best them over an entire qulaifiying campaign, but anything can happen over 90 minutes. I hate to point to the nordies...but look at some of the teams they scalped over the years. Assuming us, poland, and scotland are all going to take points off of eachother....a single point against Germany COULD determine the group.

Part of the appeal of MON is that he is able to get the most out of his players.
While some of the scores were not flattering, we played some of our best football I have seen in years in those friendlies. with our full squad, a little luck, and the ability to rise to the occasion at least once we should be able to qualify and maybe even take a point or two off zee germans.
You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 4:35pm
Georgia have the potential to best us or Scotland or Poland but they don't have the potential to challenge for 2nd. If that sounds like a contradiction fair enough. Howber I think they are a classic troublesome team kinda like Everton. Potential to beat any of the top teams but not good enough for title challenge.
AKA pedantic kunt
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 4:38pm

Georgia have the potential to best us or Scotland or Poland but they don't have the potential to challenge for 2nd. If that sounds like a contradiction fair enough. Howber I think they are a classic troublesome team kinda like Everton. Potential to beat any of the top teams but not good enough for title challenge.

In title terms, Germany are Celtic = they have the league won already. 

Georgia's home form could well keep them in the running right up until the last few games, especially if they pick up the odd point or two away from home. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic