You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Germany thrash us again?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Will they beat us by 4 goals or more home or away?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
41 [65.08%]
22 [34.92%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 1:35am
Ok sorry I read it quickly and thought you implied that.  Anyway I still believe we will be annihalated by Germany.  Maybe worse than last time.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 1:36am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

It's irrelevant really, our fate will not be decided in our games v Germany. I just hope we are braver than last time and go toe to toe rather than roll over before a ball is kicked

Agreed fully. 

This defeatist attitude a lot of our fans have is very premature, friendly results won't make me panic. 

It's naive and unrealistic to think we can go over their and get a result.

I never said we would get a result, but to 100% write off our chances of avoiding a "trashing" which is clearly what the OP suggested in June is way to premature.

Edited by Green Devil - 17 Jun 2014 at 1:37am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 1:41am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Ok sorry I read it quickly and thought you implied that.  Anyway I still believe we will be annihalated by Germany.  Maybe worse than last time.

No hassle chief Wink

Do I think we'll get a good result? More than likely not, but until I see how we set up and who we have starting, until then i'll reserve my judgement. 

Could easily see us playing 5 at the back, a solid 4 man midfield with Long or Walters up top given a thankless task up front. 

Edited by Green Devil - 17 Jun 2014 at 1:41am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 1:43am
Yeah well according to all Trap's haters such as yourself this new management team (who some people on here descibed as ''all our christmases coming at once') would make us competitive against the top international teams and beat our rivals such as Poland and Scotland which was apparently a failing of Trapattoni. With the players we have at our disposal and the tactics O'Neill has so far employed I can see Traps reign looking like a golden era compared to the absolute wilderness we might experience over the next decade or more.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 1:51am

Yeah well according to all Trap's haters such as yourself this new management team (who some people on here descibed as ''all our christmases coming at once') would make us competitive against the top international teams and beat our rivals such as Poland and Scotland which was apparently a failing of Trapattoni. With the players we have at our disposal and the tactics O'Neill has so far employed I can see Traps reign looking like a golden era compared to the absolute wilderness we might experience over the next decade or more.

Did Trap not take over when we were 2nd/3rd seeds? Toward the end of his reign, will have a big impact on whether we'll be 3rd/4th seeds in future.

You talk about Trap haters, but your defending of him over the years is just as bad. Thats what makes football great, all about opinions. 

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 1:57am
We didn't exactly get humped by them in Germany in the WC Qualifiers - We hit the bar at 1-0 down and it was a decent performance.

Sadly things have changed since then 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 2:01am
Trapattoni took us over as 3rd seeds which we were for every group he was involved with us for. He finished 2nd twice and 4th once. Overall a success given the shambles of the previous 6yrs of management by Kerr and Staunton.  Nobody thought we would qualify for a decade given the state of our national side. He brought us back from the brink and made us for 4 yrs a very respectable international team regaining us to 18th in the world and qualifying us.  Everyone blamed the heavy defeats on him and his tactics during Euro 2012 and Germany etc...  But I think many on here are realising that those defeats would have happened with O'Neill/Keane in charge too.  The players are poor quality. I hate saying it but thats the reality. We have 2 or 3 decent players.   We can change the system, try to pass it and the results will be as bad if not worse.  I wanted to pass it and maybe we have to try and pass it and forfeit results in order to bring on future players but from what I see us trying to pass it out from the back will be a disaster. The players arent good enough to do it.

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 7:52am
What an unbelievably pointless thread set up by snone other than Crap Junior as usual
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 7:56am
fck trapattoni , he gone !

yes we will most likely get pumped by germany, we need to try and get pumped less!

also scotland and poland will get pumped too , we are not competing with germany , we are in a group with three places going , if we live up to our seeding then we qualify.

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 9:34am
Agree with other posters, it's not the Germany games which will decide our fate. I would fully expect them to turn all of us over. Important thing will be to get 6 points on the board against Georgia and Gibraltar. Then make sure we don't lose against Scotland. If we have 7 points out of the first 4 games then that will be very satisfying
Sham96 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 11:49am
I said last week after attending the Portugal v Mexico game how average a side Portugal are.  Was not surprised they got hammered by Germany.  Was and am still pissed off at O'Neills bizarre tactics/substitutions in our Portugal game.  The US with a host of MLS players no better than average Championship players will give Portugal and Germany a real game.  So why can't we?  Klinsman's template for the US side has changed in the last 16 months or so.  He realised the US did not have the players to play out from the back all the time.  He had the US work continually on set pieces with a mix of playing from the back and long ball.   
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 12:42pm

Trapattoni took us over as 3rd seeds which we were for every group he was involved with us for. He finished 2nd twice and 4th once. Overall a success given the shambles of the previous 6yrs of management by Kerr and Staunton.  Nobody thought we would qualify for a decade given the state of our national side. He brought us back from the brink and made us for 4 yrs a very respectable international team regaining us to 18th in the world and qualifying us.  Everyone blamed the heavy defeats on him and his tactics during Euro 2012 and Germany etc...  But I think many on here are realising that those defeats would have happened with O'Neill/Keane in charge too.  The players are poor quality. I hate saying it but thats the reality. We have 2 or 3 decent players.   We can change the system, try to pass it and the results will be as bad if not worse.  I wanted to pass it and maybe we have to try and pass it and forfeit results in order to bring on future players but from what I see us trying to pass it out from the back will be a disaster. The players arent good enough to do it.

TJ it doesn't have to be one or the other. That hoof ball is the only way we can play to be successful. We were as successful under McCarthy as we were Trap when we played a passing game. Mccarthy's squad was better but it still had a lot of journeymen too.  

That statement about the Euro's is ridiculous as O'Neill hasn't been in charge of a competitive game at all yet. Unlike Trap where we learned nothing from the friendlies, O'Neill will have a better  idea of the limitations of the squad. 
We had a depleted squad in the states, should have beaten Turkey and Serbia given our chances and our defending was very poor. O'Neill isn't stupid and will know we can't possibly go toe to toe against top opposition but at least he gave it a try along with trying McLean in the right forward position. 
Defence is a legitimate concern but we're obviously going to tighten up more when we play in Georgia and hopefully have our strongest possible 11 on the pitch. The good thing is we're at least creating chances and were unlucky in some games. The defeats and the poor run of results are bad but as long as he learns from them it'll be constructive. 

A morale boosting win at home to Oman and we'll be in better spirits going out to Georgia. Personally I think we'll draw out there but I don't think it'll automatically be the disastrous result people will make it out to be especially when you see how Spain and France did. Scotland and Poland will struggle out there too imo. A win would be a fantastic result.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 1:29pm
Hold on now lads. All of a sudden its ok to be pummeled by Germany when it wasn't before??  This forum wanted 3 things from the new manager:

1. Be competitive against the top teams, have a go, and lose repectably if we do. no hidings. Actually we wanted a win over a top side not achieved since 2001.
2. Beat the teams in and around our level.
3. Play better football.

Now point number 1 is being disregardedErmm

So that means that many of you totally overestimated the ability of our players now that you are revising your own personal targets for the teams performance this coming term. So it seems we will be hammered by Germany and the likes not due to tactics (which was the claim before) but by our own poor quality of players (not the claim before).

I do get a kick out of seeing some lads posting here I must say.LOL  The amount of unrealistic expectations of many based on the rubbish spouted in the media and started by Dunphy no less!  Dunphy and his pals Sadlier etc sold the public the notion that this group of players is capable of so much more. We can play good football and have a go at the likes of Italy, Croatia, Spain, Germany and give them a right good game. Always reminds of the opposition political party before a general election.  It will all be so much different and better with us in power and of course they get elected and its the same old sh*t. Ditto here.

Edited by Trap junior - 17 Jun 2014 at 1:38pm

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 1:35pm
not exactly true TJ  , we havent seen this team play a competitive game yet, lets see how it goes,

if we get pumped 5-1 by germany do I call for MON out then like I did for Trap ? I cant decide something like that yet.

I think the players will improve, i have good faith in coleman, mccarthy , hendrick ,meyler and brady to actually get better than they are now, maybe gibson too can improve . we can use walters mcgeady and long and try and drag out a few glory cameos from robbie , richie and JOS.

traps tactics and selections were dung , no amount of revisionism is going to change that.

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 1:37pm

Hold on now lads. All of a sudden its ok to be pummeled by Germany when it wasn't before??  This forum wanted 3 things from the new manager:

1. Be competitive against the top teams, have a go, and lose repectably if we do. no hidings.
2. Beat the teams in and around our level.
3. Play better football.

Now point number 1 is being disregardedErmm

So that means that many of you totally overestimated the ability of our players now that you are revising your own personal targets for the teams performance this coming term. So it seems we will be hammered by Germany and the likes not due to tactics (which was the claim before) but by our own poor quality of players (not the claim before).

I do get a kick out of seeing some lads posting here I must say.LOL  The amount of unrealistic expectations of many based on the rubbish spouted in the media and started by Dunphy no less!  Dunphy and his pals Sadlier etc sold the public the notion that this group of players is capable of so much more. We can play good football and have a go at the likes of Italy, Croatia, Spain, Germany and give them a right good game. Always reminds of the opposition political party before a general election.  It will all be so much different and better with us in power and of course they get elected and its the same old sh*t. Ditto here.

A moronic post as has come to be expected. All of a sudden we will be pummeled. And the game is 4 months awaySleepySleepy
FranDaMan View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FranDaMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by rainpaulo rainpaulo wrote:

I'm not to sure we could manage to keep a clean sheet against their U21 side.

Not a hope of it
Are ya a lady burd or a dirt burd?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 1:42pm
As opposed to your sensible posts Kerrzy yeah?LOL

I thought you'd be over in Mississippi now burning crosses

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

not exactly true TJ  , we havent seen this team play a competitive game yet, lets see how it goes,

if we get pumped 5-1 by germany do I call for MON out then like I did for Trap ? I cant decide something like that yet.

I think the players will improve, i have good faith in coleman, mccarthy , hendrick ,meyler and brady to actually get better than they are now, maybe gibson too can improve . we can use walters mcgeady and long and try and drag out a few glory cameos from robbie , richie and JOS.

traps tactics and selections were dung , no amount of revisionism is going to change that.

O'Neill will pretty much pick the same players as Trap.

O'Neill and any other Irish manager should not be judged on a game against Germany. They are absolutely way ahead of us in terms of quality.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic