You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Germany thrash us again?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Will they beat us by 4 goals or more home or away?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
41 [65.08%]
22 [34.92%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
085immersive View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 085immersive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will Germany thrash us again?
    Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by gwhite gwhite wrote:

Don't mind ze Germans taking 6 points off us as long as we go down fighting each time.

Exactly. Can we at least try instead of giving up before a ball is kicked. Defeat with dignity a minimum.

Edited by 085immersive - 19 Jul 2014 at 4:06pm
Sponsored Links

gwhite View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 3:42pm
Don't mind ze Germans taking 6 points off us as long as we go down fighting each time.
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 11:44am
Yeah Philip lahm has just announced his retirement so I think we will definitely beat them home and away now
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 10:28am
More hope

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/2/9386181/lahm-set-to-bow-out
Guest View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 11:47pm
After the Ghana match i have some hope.
Germany are at their strongest in midfield and they will kill us if we play 4-4-2.
I hope MON plays a different formation and give us a chance on the counter,they are not great at the back
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

If we use this formation against germany we might have a small chance with 10 men behind the ball and colemab allowed burst forward
joke right? 
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 11:14pm
If we use this formation against germany we might have a small chance with 10 men behind the ball and colemab allowed burst forward
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 9:47pm
The friendly results do matter, as the rankings tell you.

The Brits have won 1 game in 3 years. What benefit was their hole of a ground when they were playing Azerbaijan, Iceland, and Liechtenstein?

We beat Spain in 89 because our long ball game battered them off the pitch, not because the grass was long and the dressing room wasn't perfect. And in 1989, Lansdowne was a fine international football stadium.

Edited by planning - 18 Jun 2014 at 9:47pm
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Stillhuntinghenry View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by St.Pauli Reloaded 2 St.Pauli Reloaded 2 wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Northern Ireland had a kip of a stadium in Windsor Park and that was a major reason they were able to beat some big teams there. I also dont think its a coincidence that our home form went south once they redeveloped lansdowne.  Small capacity sh*thole stadiums bursting with atmosphere are intimidating for opposition teams not half empty modern mod con stadiums where the crowd are further away fromt he pitch and they can go into their luxury dressing room and play on a perfect pitch.  Look when we beat Spain in 1989. A kip of a pitch. Long bumpy grass, half mucky. You couldnt play a passing game on it. Ideal for our hoofball tactics/ Plus the dressing rooms were small and pokey with poor facilities. 

So your saying we should play them all at Dalyer Clap

Sure we'd have better chance if we got them outta Dublin completely, Finn Park is the spot to take on the Fatherland
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock
St.Pauli Reloaded 2 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St.Pauli Reloaded 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Northern Ireland had a kip of a stadium in Windsor Park and that was a major reason they were able to beat some big teams there. I also dont think its a coincidence that our home form went south once they redeveloped lansdowne.  Small capacity sh*thole stadiums bursting with atmosphere are intimidating for opposition teams not half empty modern mod con stadiums where the crowd are further away fromt he pitch and they can go into their luxury dressing room and play on a perfect pitch.  Look when we beat Spain in 1989. A kip of a pitch. Long bumpy grass, half mucky. You couldnt play a passing game on it. Ideal for our hoofball tactics/ Plus the dressing rooms were small and pokey with poor facilities. 

So your saying we should play them all at Dalyer Clap
In Martin and Roy we Trust !
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 8:53pm

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
TheMightyQuinn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMightyQuinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 8:46pm

I think you are missing my point....

Someone will take points off of Germany...Sweden did. wether or not they will blow a 4 goal lead has nothing to do with it. Germany will have an off day against one of the teams, and it could be against us if we show up prepared to play we could take a point. Just as the north beat england and spain when they were light years ahead of them (I am aware this was years ago, but it shows it is possible).

the results of the past 6 games mean nothing.... we played as good of football as we have seen in years against italy and turkey. judge O'Neills record once we start playing meaningful games and are playing with a full squad.

You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by TheMightyQuinn TheMightyQuinn wrote:

While we may not match Germany in quality, we should not accept taking 0 points from them.
someone in this group is going to get some points from them, and our players/ staff need to believe it can be us. (example: Sweden against them in the qualifiers). We won't best them over an entire qulaifiying campaign, but anything can happen over 90 minutes.

Right, so Germany blow 4 goal leads at home on a regular basis?

Germany won their last ECQ group with 30 points. They won the last group with 28 points, hitting Sweden and us for 9 each. This group will be a walkover for them.

Quote I hate to point to the nordies...but look at some of the teams they scalped over the years.

Yes, their current coach has won 1 game in charge. At the price of other historic results against Iceland, Malta, Luxembourg, and losing 6-0 in Holland. Not exactly a record to write home about.

Quote Part of the appeal of MON is that he is able to get the most out of his players.
While some of the scores were not flattering, we played some of our best football I have seen in years in those friendlies.

He's 6 games without a win. So he's finding out that life after Trap isn't a fiesta of goals and five star football.

Quote Watch the Serbia match again and don't forget apart from us missing a few chances in the first half against Turkey, they still should have been down to 10 men after the opening few minutes. Those games could've been won before the other teams came back.

Teams came back? Turkey took the lead after c15 minutes and held onto it comfortably. Serbia were the better side before half time, and when they did go ahead, there was no response. There's no need for me to watch it again, watching it 20 yards in front of me at the time was punishment enough.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

We will see but I don't think they will in the running for the 2 nd automatic qualification spot but will take some points off Scotland Poland and Ireland at some stage.

I do reckon Georgia will finish 5th, but i'd say the points between 2nd to 4th especially will be minimal with Georgia just a tiny bit off. 

They will cause trouble for the 3 teams you mentioned though. I reckon an away win there could mean two draws in Poland/Scotland will take some heat off us.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 4:40pm
We will see but I don't think they will in the running for the 2 nd automatic qualification spot but will take some points off Scotland Poland and Ireland at some stage.
AKA pedantic kunt
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Georgia have the potential to best us or Scotland or Poland but they don't have the potential to challenge for 2nd. If that sounds like a contradiction fair enough. Howber I think they are a classic troublesome team kinda like Everton. Potential to beat any of the top teams but not good enough for title challenge.

In title terms, Germany are Celtic = they have the league won already. 

Georgia's home form could well keep them in the running right up until the last few games, especially if they pick up the odd point or two away from home. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 4:35pm
Georgia have the potential to best us or Scotland or Poland but they don't have the potential to challenge for 2nd. If that sounds like a contradiction fair enough. Howber I think they are a classic troublesome team kinda like Everton. Potential to beat any of the top teams but not good enough for title challenge.
AKA pedantic kunt
TheMightyQuinn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMightyQuinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 4:32pm
Trap just stayed a little too long. he did well to restore us to a respectable side, but he was too stubborn and stifled all of the growth he helped to cultivate. His unwillingness to pick our more taltend players, try to expand our tactics, or deviate from his "favorites" bit him on the ass. We could only play one way and if we came up against a quality side that was dialed in, we got beat....

We should have canned him after the Euro's... better an hour too early than a minute too late. (I dont mean we should have canned him because of the Euros...I mean because he had taken us as far as that style was going to take us. I was pro Trap up until the Euros and thought he did a good job- but his plan expired).

while we may not match Germany in quality, we should not accept taking 0 points from them.
someone in this group is going to get some points from them, and our players/ staff need to believe it can be us. (example: Sweden against them in the qualifiers). We won't best them over an entire qulaifiying campaign, but anything can happen over 90 minutes. I hate to point to the nordies...but look at some of the teams they scalped over the years. Assuming us, poland, and scotland are all going to take points off of eachother....a single point against Germany COULD determine the group.

Part of the appeal of MON is that he is able to get the most out of his players.
While some of the scores were not flattering, we played some of our best football I have seen in years in those friendlies. with our full squad, a little luck, and the ability to rise to the occasion at least once we should be able to qualify and maybe even take a point or two off zee germans.
You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic