Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Athlone Town

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Athlone Town
    Posted: 21 May 2014 at 10:23pm
ATHLONE TOWN STADIUM SITUATION 'COMPLETELY UNTENABLE' - MAJORITY SHAREHOLDER
21st May 2014
The majority shareholder of Athlone Town stadium says as things stand the gates won't be able to remain open past September 20th - the date of renewal for insurance.

In a letter to this week's Westmeath Independent, Declan Molloy says the club have so far paid no rent on the facility this year.

Mr Molloy invested over 500 thousand Euro to clear debts on the stadium in November 2011, he claims the current situation is 'completely untenable'.
Sponsored Links

PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 10:38pm
Sounds like they are in big trouble.
scottyccfc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyccfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 10:34am
If Athlone go to the wall might aswell scrap first division seriously, if they keep it up its a farce
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...
nice triangles View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nice triangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 11:20am
Apparently Declan Molloy wrote a letter into the Athlone Topic last week further highlighting his frustrations with the club. Continuing non payment of rent was mentioned and possibility of locking gates to stadium. Does anyone have a copy of the letter, and could they share here if possible?
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 1:35pm
Matthews and 5 players quit with apparently the entire senior squad likely to follow suit.

Their chairman didn't bother showing up to the meeting with the FAI investigator.

Serious question marks over whether they'll be able to restart after the break.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 10:52pm
What is wrong with Athlone? This once proud football town failed to full fill a fixture before the break and I see 140 FANS turned up for last weeks game. Yet 2 of the best Junior in the Country are from the Town so football is alive and well on the banks of the Shannon. It's such a shame I'm from a neighbouring town and used to love going to St Mels to see the Town with Larkin, Clarke, Nicholson, Quinn and the O Connors playing. I know it is a long time ago but it's part of your history. Will we ever here the Athlone fans again sing Did ye ever, Did ye ever, play Milan.   
alive and kicking
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 5:17pm
The Athlone supporters trust have told the FAI they`ll be applying for a FD license.
The board still don't want to step down so there could potentially be 2 clubs from Athlone applying for a FD license.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
TheFieldsOfAthenry View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFieldsOfAthenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

The Athlone supporters trust have told the FAI they`ll be applying for a FD license.
The board still don't want to step down so there could potentially be 2 clubs from Athlone applying for a FD license.

Clearly just a game of who blinks first, I mean realistically where are the ST team going to play and where are they going to raise the entry fee and the cost of keeping a team running. Also wouldn't they have to run their own underage teams also? Not even the remotest chance of this happening
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 6:20pm
There are ways around every issue you raise there.
It happened before in Limerick and there were 2 clubs operating out of Galway not to long ago.
Nothing would surprise me in this league.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 1:45pm
Any truth to the rumours of match fixing I am reading about elsewhere? It all seems a bit flimsy but it seems a couple of their newly arrived foreign lads have history in this regard.
max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 4:32pm
Still odds on PP for Friday's game anyways. Supposedly three of the new players and the coach were involved with a corrupt team in Portugal. Funny things going on down there can only see it ending in a seven team first division.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 5:02pm
I think the hardcore Athlone fans would only be delighted if the current Athlone went to the wall. Its been hijacked by head bangers a long time ago and they`ve long since stopped attending games. There is a fans group there willing to take over the club but they`ve been blocked by the current administration.
The current "investors" were involved in a club in Lithuania called "Dainava" that finished with a -131 goal difference in a 10 team league!

Coupled with the fact there was zero questions asked by the FAI, Fran Gavin came out and said he`s no idea what their plans are, betting starts to become the only thing that makes sense.
From what I`ve heard LOI betting is quite big business in eastern Europe and Asia.

Edited by Bitored - 28 Mar 2017 at 5:04pm
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 1:20pm
Saw them vs Ramblers a couple of weeks ago and something was definitely a bit out of the ordinary with the whole occasion. Giving away ridiculous penalties, the keeper allowing himself to be tackled by an outfielder when acres of space, etc...

Fill yer boots on Cabinteely in the meantime!
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Saw them vs Ramblers a couple of weeks ago and something was definitely a bit out of the ordinary with the whole occasion. Giving away ridiculous penalties, the keeper allowing himself to be tackled by an outfielder when acres of space, etc...

Fill yer boots on Cabinteely in the meantime!
Cost me my acca, it was 3-1 with a few minutes to go!
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 10:28pm
Screwed me aswell....had a good lump on them -1...joke
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 7:10pm
More talk of dodgy goals and Asian betting markets in relation to the game at Longford.
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:49pm
Amazing nothing is being done yet

max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 6:04pm
http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-statement-on-athlone-town-afc ;

Soon to be a 7 team first division. Joke shop in Athlone! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic