You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winning the Europa v getting 4th

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winning the Europa v getting 4th
    Posted: 10 May 2014 at 9:41am
My understanding is that the winner of the Europa gains entry to the CL in15/16. What do people think is harder .... Finishing 4th or winning the Europa league ? Either Spurs or United will be faced with challenging for 1 or the other next season if u were the new manger what would you put the emphasis on ?

Edited by Barna Bee - 10 May 2014 at 9:49am
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"
Sponsored Links

dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:48am
If a team wins the Europa does the 4th place team lose out?
Barna Bee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 11:30am
Don't know
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"
tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 11:36am
Originally posted by dundon13 dundon13 wrote:

If a team wins the Europa does the 4th place team lose out?

No.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 11:43am
If I was the manager of one of those clubs I would concentrate more on trying to finish 4th. They should make the knock out stage of the europa league anyway. When there see how you're doing in the league. I don't think Spurs have a good   enough team for 4th tbh
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 7:02pm
A great example of the bollix that has infected modern football. How about yerself Barna, as a Spurs supporter, would you prefer to be in Warsaw  playing Benfica in the final of the Europa league in 2015, or at say, Southampton on the last day of the season hoping for the win that gets ye 4th, to get into the CL and then probably exit it at the group stage the year after after getting a bastard hard draw due to ye never being in it (much) before ??

Since when did football fans start thinking like accountants ?? Ya can be damn well sure what the chairmen of the top clubs think on this one (4th, every single time), regardless of what they utter in public, but that is purely down to the financial side of things. Surely the reason for supporting a football team is to ultimately see them win something, like it or not, 4th place is no reason for celebrating anything, just ask some fans of yer neighbours down the road who have been in this exact place for a decade now. (Yes, I'm aware that should end in 2 weeks time)

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 7:12pm
I think it's a great idea that winning the Europa league should get you into the following years champions league.

I would go further and say winning the fa cup should too. As Deise said winning things is what its all about. The money is on the champions league so match the two things the glory and the cash.
AKA pedantic kunt
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 9:16pm
Defo the Europa league has a much bigger incentive next year and I welcome it. But what happens if the winners qualify through the league and the other finalist? Where does the place end up?
Jackthelad View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:04pm
I know it's unlikely as UEFA are driven by money but this secondary competition has to be looked at again. It's awful to be involved in, plain and simple.
It won't happen but knockout is much better.
I'm sure spurs would prefer it, if it's them that make it tomorrow.
I know I'd rather face say juve in the earliest round and be beat, thus knowing you aren't good enough to win it than plod through a group with muck teams and drag it out. There's still only the 1 trophy at the end of the day.
Point being, you'd save yourself a decent number of games unless you'd a great run and save players on travel.
You mightn't have so many Sunday games then either. I hated them as a fan.
Just my tuppence worth I hope I never see liverpool involved in its current format again.

Edited by Jackthelad - 10 May 2014 at 10:05pm
Oh Poland we loved you.....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

A great example of the bollix that has infected modern football. How about yerself Barna, as a Spurs supporter, would you prefer to be in Warsaw  playing Benfica in the final of the Europa league in 2015, or at say, Southampton on the last day of the season hoping for the win that gets ye 4th, to get into the CL and then probably exit it at the group stage the year after after getting a bastard hard draw due to ye never being in it (much) before ??

Since when did football fans start thinking like accountants ?? Ya can be damn well sure what the chairmen of the top clubs think on this one (4th, every single time), regardless of what they utter in public, but that is purely down to the financial side of things. Surely the reason for supporting a football team is to ultimately see them win something, like it or not, 4th place is no reason for celebrating anything, just ask some fans of yer neighbours down the road who have been in this exact place for a decade now. (Yes, I'm aware that should end in 2 weeks time)

Winning

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:28pm
Great post tribal seems only the English have a very snobby arrogant to the is competition. 2nd rate clubs turning their nose up to it.

Edited by Baldrick - 10 May 2014 at 10:28pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:32pm
Are chelsea the only English side to win it in its current format? Can't think of another. Fulham reached the final if I remember correctly. And Middlesbrough????
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:38pm
Yeah English teams have a shocking record.

Chelsea and before that Liverpool and before that spurs in 84.   Did well in the 70s.
AKA pedantic kunt
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:39pm
Mad thinking boro were in it only a short while back!
That and his achievements in holland are a credit to McLaren.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:42pm
When you think about spurs Newcastle Liverpool and Everton should be ashamed of their performances in this in recent years.

The night spurs won it in 84 was a great night. Tony parks spurs legend.   Liverpool's win was a classic also.
AKA pedantic kunt
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:45pm
Have they done any worse though than how man city have got on in the CL.
Different standard of team being faced obviously, but city won't find many feeling too sorry for them with the money they've spent.
We made the semis a few years back, beaten by atleti in the 2nd leg at anfield If I remember correctly.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:46pm
Boro's run to the final was brilliant. 2 late winners from Massimo Maccarone in the quarters and semis, before Sevilla battered them in the final.

Atletico needed a Forlan goal in extra time to beat Fulham. 4 years later Atletico are preparing for a potential title showdown with Barcelona and a Champions League final, while Fulham are thinking about their upcoming trips to Brentford and Bournemouth.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

Boro's run to the final was brilliant. 2 late winners from Massimo Maccarone in the quarters and semis, before Sevilla battered them in the final.

Atletico needed a Forlan goal in extra time to beat Fulham. 4 years later Atletico are preparing for a potential title showdown with Barcelona and a Champions League final, while Fulham are thinking about their upcoming trips to Brentford and Bournemouth.

Mad 1 isn't it.
Not to mention where boro and rangers find themselves after recently making the final.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic