Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diego Maradona - 1986

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 20>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

De Laurentis already talking about the possibility of renaming the San Paolo after Diego
Just confirmed.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 10:04pm
The 1984 Copa Del Rey final ShockedLOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 10:04pm
My favourite ever player of all time absolutely no question.

I came home sick from school one day as a young lad and my Dad went to the local video shop and brought back World Cup Classics. That was the first time I laid my eyes on seeing the magic of Maradona and have been obsessed every since.

To say I'm absolutely gutted that he's gone is an understatement.

Growing older is sh*te because your hero's grow older too and then ultimately retire or pass away.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 10:19pm
Wouldn’t be in tears but defo did have a big sinking feeling when the missus shared the news with me. He was the most iconic and possibly the greatest footballer off all time in the sport I have invested so much of life towards consuming. Cant but help feel a massive sense of loss.

Edited by t_rAndy - 25 Nov 2020 at 10:20pm
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 10:30pm

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 10:36pm
For f**k sake Embarrassed

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 10:41pm

For f**k sake Embarrassed

I think the caption in the bottom left hand corner refers to UK red top journalists.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 10:51pm
Who gives a fook about what a slimy red top puts on its front page?

What I want to know is Italy v Argentina in the 1990 World Cup semi-final the BIGGEST football showdown of all time

After Argentina v England in 1986, obviously

As in, a match SO big it could only but go down in history

Windsor Park 1993 was quite the showdown as well

But it was only in the hapenny place compared to the above

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 11:03pm
8 page pull out in the Irish Star tomorrow 

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 11:05pm

8 page pull out in the Irish Star tomorrow 
Some difference in attitude from their British counterparts. Clap
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

I’d say the vigils in Buenos Aires will be like nothing ever seen before for a footballer. His god like status there is one that no other footballer has achieved anywhere.

2 games and no goals scored against the mighty Gerry Peyton!

The 1980 friendly and what other?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

I’d say the vigils in Buenos Aires will be like nothing ever seen before for a footballer. His god like status there is one that no other footballer has achieved anywhere.

2 games and no goals scored against the mighty Gerry Peyton!

The 1980 friendly and what other?

We played them in 1979 as well so presuming Gerry played that match as well

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 11:17pm
ah yeah so we did 

Some unicef friendly 
this match was not regarded as a 'full' international by the FAI as confirmed by the results and fixture lists on their official web site and in Donal Cullen's book, 'Ireland on the ball'. The team is regarded as a Shamrock Rovers XI.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 11:26pm
I have the programme for the 1980 friendly

Mint condition

Price: less
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 12:19am
what a legend Gerry Peyton is 
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 12:21am
More4 showing the film at 01:15 

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 12:36am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

ah yeah so we did 

Some unicef friendly 
this match was not regarded as a 'full' international by the FAI as confirmed by the results and fixture lists on their official web site and in Donal Cullen's book, 'Ireland on the ball'. The team is regarded as a Shamrock Rovers XI.
No the Rovers XI was v Brazil.

But yes we played them in 79 as I was there.

For some strange reason it wasnt deemed an international.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 5:42am
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

He dragged Naples from the doldrums to the top of Serie A when it was by far the best League in Europe and never has one player dominated a World Cup to the extent that he did in 1986, and 1990 also, and he was still the headline act in 1994 albeit in a different light.  He was more than just a great footballer but a true character which for many of his adoring fans elevates him above the others for he epitomised the beautiful game for true beauty encapsulates perfection and imperfection.

RIP

He had a terrible WC in '90. One flash of brilliance against Brazil to set up Cannigia's goal.

Don't think there's ever been a footballer who had greater control or mastery over the ball in terms of it seeming like it was stuck to his foot. Ronaldinho probably the only one who comes close.

A genius on the pitch, at a time when defenders tried to take him out with every tackle.

Listening to Tim Vickery last night and he was saying that the first time he appeared in the Argentine newspapers was when he was 11. Imagine having to deal with being viewed as your national saviour from such a young age, it's no wonder his life played out how it did.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 20>
  Share Topic