You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Raheem Sterling better than Messaldo at 19?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Raheem Sterling better than Messaldo at 19?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [7.50%]
1 [2.50%]
4 [10.00%]
32 [80.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 4:34am
Originally posted by athlonecelt athlonecelt wrote:

Rooney at every age > Sterling at any age

Eh, Sterling is 19 chief, and I think it is safe to assume he is currently at his best, meaning like he hasn't disimproved since he was, say, 14 or 15. If you are comparing a 26 yr old Sterling to a 26 year old Rooney, I'll have a go of your DeLorean when yer done with it. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Sponsored Links

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 4:46am
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Top fishing by LD Clap

Me bollix, a perfectly valid and topical comparison by LD, for all those who responded with 'fcuk off' or a load of 'LOL' , tell us exactly why ya think this isn't the case ?? Even allowing for club/personal bias, here is a BBC link to Brendan Rogers' (the manager of the year) opinion, he states that Sterling is arguably the best young player in Europe at the moment. http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27096737

If Tribal Army comes on here and nominates some 18 yr old in the Romanian 3rd division, I will defer to his superior knowledge, other than that, start shouting some names of other 19 year old footballers producing better football and on a more consistent basis than Sterling. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 9:45am
Cortois who is 21 possibly. But Sterling is on some form at the moment.
AKA pedantic kunt
Jackthelad View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Jackthelad Jackthelad wrote:

Sweet Vincent

I am guilty of skimming the question originally so heartfelt apologies to LD who asked a perfectly legitimate question bar his use of the word messaldo   

In response I think he's possibly better than Ronaldo was at that age, hard to call.
But not messi.
Oh Poland we loved you.....
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 11:38am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Top fishing by LD Clap

Me bollix, a perfectly valid and topical comparison by LD, for all those who responded with 'fcuk off' or a load of 'LOL' , tell us exactly why ya think this isn't the case ?? Even allowing for club/personal bias, here is a BBC link to Brendan Rogers' (the manager of the year) opinion, he states that Sterling is arguably the best young player in Europe at the moment. http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27096737

If Tribal Army comes on here and nominates some 18 yr old in the Romanian 3rd division, I will defer to his superior knowledge, other than that, start shouting some names of other 19 year old footballers producing better football and on a more consistent basis than Sterling. 

The question wasn't is Sterling one of the best young players in Europe. At the moment he is showing maturity beyond his age and is very effective. He's still not comparable to Ronaldo or Messi when they were 19. Not a chance
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 11:42am
Originally posted by WindBag WindBag wrote:

@LANDON....YES....yes i am. I am 7 BSM approved beers into it..

And i think u are too hip to be square...

Better question for ya....Rooney or Sterling at 19...who was better?..

Flip that question to the other mugs...... sorry Andy.. Rooney never fulfilled his supposed potential (world class) nor will Raheem 'The Queen' Sterling. .
BSM approved beers
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 11:43am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Top fishing by LD Clap

how do you manage to post such sense at 445am posting links aswel I'm doing well to string 2 words together at that hour!
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 12:06pm
Ronaldo was quite poor at that age, I remember him being referred to riverdance due to the number of unnecessary stepovers and lack of end product. Sterling has been a very influential force in this team, Rodgers has curbed his lifestyle traits and made him a player who can play many different roles, so he clearly is adaptable and has a footballing brain to go with his pace and deceptive strength. Messi at 19 was on a different level though and it was pretty obvious he was going to be the world's best.
Oh and I am not sure what was meant by the 'Rooney' comparisons,but give me Sterling now over the brainless lad running around Goodison Park yesterday.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 12:09pm
Good question this.
Exceptional talent is sterling.
Better than ronaldo at 19, not messi
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 12:19pm
Just read back my opening post. I really should have clarified Sterling aged 19 V Messi/CR7 aged 19 LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 12:20pm

Just read back my opening post. I really should have clarified Sterling aged 19 V Messi/CR7 aged 19 LOL
Jackthelad View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 1:08pm
Ya your right actually LD, I take back my earlier apology, ya gobsh*te
Oh Poland we loved you.....
Boban View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 1:17pm
Ronaldo was awfully inconsistent at that age and infuriating to watch alot of the time.I don't think it's laughable to compare him at that age and Sterling,as some on here seem to.I would question whether Ronaldo at 19 would have performed as well as Sterling did last week against City in such a huge game.He had a habit of going missing in those type of games earlier in his career.

Messi at 19?I don't think Ronaldo or Sterling at that age even come close.
tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 9:39pm
Messi was 19 for the first half of 2007. That's the first year he came in the top 3 for the Balon D'Or(he won it the next year).
I don't think Sterling has shown yet that he's close to being as good as Messi was at 19.

Ludwig von Drake View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig von Drake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 9:56pm
Messi was sensational in 2007, this was his goal against Getafe. 

Max Power View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 10:10pm
Neither. People forgetting Ronaldo was one of the players of the tournament in Euro 2004 at the age of 19 when Portugal got the the final. Sterling has 2 England caps and isn't even guaranteed a starting place this years World Cup in a very average England team.
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 10:10pm
amazing
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 10:33am

Top fishing by LD Clap

In fairness there is no way Sterling (who hasn't even played in the CL, nor made a big impression for England) could be mentioned in the same breath as Ronaldo or Messi at 19.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic