You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alan Browne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 30>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 7:39pm
McGoldrick has been the best of a bad bunch during an extremely mediocre campaign.

Ought to win it.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 29 Jul 2020 at 7:39pm
Sponsored Links

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

McGoldrick has been the best of a bad bunch during an extremely mediocre campaign.

Ought to win it.

Agreed. Got a soft spot for him but also think he’s really done wonders for us in a couple of games
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 7:07am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Well then McGoldrick became the accidental fulcrum because his initial role at Sheffield United was to score the goals - as in their promotion year. He was given the same job for Ireland. When goals failed to arrive, he morphed into your clumsily-named fulcrum player and did a good job. So if he wins the award he would benefit from revisionism.  

Conan spells it out well in his compelling case for Stevens. Ironically, Matt Doherty, even allowing for his international situation, won't win any award despite being the best Irish player last season by a stretch. Sad that. 

"Accidental fulcrum", that's a new one on me LOL 

The award is clearly based solely on performances for the national team (Whelan is hardly being nominated nominated for sitting on Hearts bench and playing a few games for Fleetwood, is he?). Based on that glaringly obvious fact, Matt Doherty is obviously not going to win any awards due to him not playing that many games for national team Embarrassed

McGoldrick's primary role was never as a goalscorer for Sheff Utd, and the fact you think it was shows that you're talking out of your h*le. He got a decent haul last year in the Championship, but Sharp was their main goalscorer. McGoldrick (as with this season) played the "2nd striker" role, dropping deeper than his partner to link play with midfield. This is how he has always played, right back to his Ipswich days. He was essentially tasked with doing the same thing for Ireland, with the difference being that he didn't have a strike partner alongside him to get a head of the play, meaning he had to pretty much do double the work. And he did that, basically running himself into the ground in every performance.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 8:57am

Your blouse is flapping again, Mrs O'Shea. McGoldrick played as a second striker with Sharp. He was signed as such - of course he roamed.  Your diatribe synchronises nicely with your rambling claptrap on the Manning thread. Here's a boring grab from that lecture to fellow posters: 

"there's something of a self-generated nature to these claims; one person claims player X has this huge weakness, a few other people repeat the claim based solely off person one's statement, and then before you know it it has become "accepted knowledge" that everyone just mindlessly repeats. It's hard to imagine he'd be being considered by a few different EPL teams if that side of his game was quite so bad....

You are that "one person". McCarthy also tasked McGoldrick to score goals. Surprised? He got just one but became valuable elsewhere. He remains so. Your revisionism comment on Stevens was wrong, your comment on McGoldrick wrong, your anti-Trap epic arrogant, your Whelan comment atrocious, your Lenihan-sledge defence was pathetic. 

But hey, it's all accepted knowledge now. Stop flapping, you'll damage a nipple.

Re the point in bold, that is literally exactly what I've said. You are contradicting your own claim (that his primary function at Sheffield United was as a goalscorer) and supporting mine (which is that he remit is actually a fair bit wider than that).

I'm not even going to address the other paragraph; it's the 2nd time in two days you've tried to excise a quote from one thread and requisition it into a completely unrelated thread; obsessed is a word that comes to mind Embarrassed
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:53am

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Your blouse is flapping again, Mrs O'Shea. McGoldrick played as a second striker with Sharp. He was signed as such - of course he roamed.  Your diatribe synchronises nicely with your rambling claptrap on the Manning thread. Here's a boring grab from that lecture to fellow posters: 

"there's something of a self-generated nature to these claims; one person claims player X has this huge weakness, a few other people repeat the claim based solely off person one's statement, and then before you know it it has become "accepted knowledge" that everyone just mindlessly repeats. It's hard to imagine he'd be being considered by a few different EPL teams if that side of his game was quite so bad....

You are that "one person". McCarthy also tasked McGoldrick to score goals. Surprised? He got just one but became valuable elsewhere. He remains so. Your revisionism comment on Stevens was wrong, your comment on McGoldrick wrong, your anti-Trap epic arrogant, your Whelan comment atrocious, your Lenihan-sledge defence was pathetic. 

But hey, it's all accepted knowledge now. Stop flapping, you'll damage a nipple.

Re the point in bold, that is literally exactly what I've said. You are contradicting your own claim (that his primary function at Sheffield United was as a goalscorer) and supporting mine (which is that he remit is actually a fair bit wider than that).

I'm not even going to address the other paragraph; it's the 2nd time in two days you've tried to excise a quote from one thread and requisition it into a completely unrelated thread; obsessed is a word that comes to mind Embarrassed
Sorted! You now accept McGoldrick's role was as a striker - i.e. to score goals. Your wisdom grows with  avoidance of the quote issue - because a quote is a quote no matter where or when it appears (best allow neutrals judge context). 

Apologies to Alan Browne fans and the honourable DeclanDaly. Won't happen again.

Are you even following what is being said, or are you just typing random nonsense? You first claimed McGoldrick's primary function in Sheffield United's team was to score goals; I argued that it was not; you then contradicted yourself by agreeing with me that he was actually a "2nd striker" rather than a goalscorer; and now you're claiming that I've agreed with your original argument that his primary job is goalscoring? Mr. Thick may be a more appropriate moniker LOL

If your argument boils down to "his position contains the word striker, therefore his only job is to score goals" then your understanding of football tactics is about 30 years outdated. It's like saying "a full backs only job is to defend" (whereas in most modern teams it is actually to attack and create chances); or a goalkeepers only job is to catch crosses (when in reality their distribution is now just as important as traditional "goalkeeping skills"). 

McGoldricks role at Sheffield United follows exactly the same logic, he may play up front, but he is not in the team to be a regular goalscorer. Wilder selects him to link play, create space/chances, and defend from the front; and he's excellent at it. That is why Wilder refers to him as "the most complete footballer he's ever worked with".
We're decent enough..
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 4:44pm
Can't disagree with that last statement but....this is the Alan Browne thread so come on...
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:26pm

Y

excise a quote from one thread and requisition it into a completely unrelated thread; obsessed is a word that comes to mind Embarrassed
Sorted! You now accept McGoldrick's role was as a striker - i.e. to score goals. Your wisdom grows with  avoidance of the quote issue - because a quote is a quote no matter where or when it appears (best allow neutrals judge context). 

Apologies to Alan Browne fans and the honourable DeclanDaly. Won't happen again.

Are you even following what is being said, or are you just typing random nonsense? You first claimed McGoldrick's primary function in Sheffield United's team was to score goals; I argued that it was not; you then contradicted yourself by agreeing with me that he was actually a "2nd striker" rather than a goalscorer; and now you're claiming that I've agreed with your original argument that his primary job is goalscoring? Mr. Thick may be a more appropriate moniker LOL

If your argument boils down to "his position contains the word striker, therefore his only job is to score goals" then your understanding of football tactics is about 30 years outdated. It's like saying "a full backs only job is to defend" (whereas in most modern teams it is actually to attack and create chances); or a goalkeepers only job is to catch crosses (when in reality their distribution is now just as important as traditional "goalkeeping skills"). 

McGoldricks role at Sheffield United follows exactly the same logic, he may play up front, but he is not in the team to be a regular goalscorer. Wilder selects him to link play, create space/chances, and defend from the front; and he's excellent at it. That is why Wilder refers to him as "the most complete footballer he's ever worked with".
Wilder is clearly destined to become manager of the EIRE if he considers a striker's role to be the first line of defence. Look at any of the top ranking nations, their centre forwards are all at least relatively prolific which is what they are chosen for. Players in that position there 60 % at least for the purpose of scoring goals, 15-20% maybe for creating them - which is something McGoldrick doesn't do a lot of either, only 2 assists as well this season so half what Stevens contributed - and the remainder for the rest of the toil. Like Long he's great holding up the ball, running the channels, linking play etc but what we need from our centre forward is the Robbie Keane job of hitting the back of the net, as nobody else much is going to do it for us. His saving grace is that none of our other strikers are doing this at the top level either so his auxillary duties justify his place in the side at least.
Apologies to Browney
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 9:10pm
An unnamed Premier league club has made a bid for Alan Browne

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 04 Aug 2020 at 9:11pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Bollocks! All Premier League clubs have names.
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 10:32pm

Where did you see that?
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Bollocks! All Premier League clubs have names.

LOL
El Puto Amo
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Where did you see that?

Jay O'Connor on Twitter. Not a reliable source.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 10:41pm
Going to predict Burnley or West Brom if the story is true.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 10:43pm
A most Burnley name if ever there was one Alan Browne but my moneys on Leeds. Wpupd be great to see hom get a move not one I expected to be honest, we will have some ampunt of Premiership players next season plus top half Championship. 
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 11:04pm
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 11:09pm
Southampton and Crystal Palace were interested in January according to the source. He's in the last year of his contract with Preston and changed his agent recently to push for a move.
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 1:08am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Southampton and Crystal Palace were interested in January according to the source. He's in the last year of his contract with Preston and changed his agent recently to push for a move.

Looks like Southampton selling hojberg to sours, so could be an opening there. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 1:54am
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

A most Burnley name if ever there was one Alan Browne but my moneys on Leeds. Wpupd be great to see hom get a move not one I expected to be honest, we will have some ampunt of Premiership players next season plus top half Championship. 
Bang on is this club not Leeds no? Well well documented they have shown interest in him in the past and Preston are essentially a mini Leeds. Would make sense it is them. Failing that maybe Burnley. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 30>
  Share Topic