You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alan Browne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 30>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

strange list... how has connolly or obafemi not made it for selection 

Its players who have played for Ireland, they've only had a couple of games each without much impact. Its slim pickings because we haven't been given youth a chance under Mccarthy or previous managerd. In fairness to Mccarthy, he was straight into the firing line and didn't have much chance to try players out in friendlies 

Edited by t_rAndy - 29 Jul 2020 at 1:52pm
Sponsored Links

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 1:55pm
Afolabi v Czech Republic for the Under 19s should have been nominated for goal of the year. 

Unfortunately all of these nominations add up to another pretty grim year for the seniors. Nobody pulling up trees.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Afolabi v Czech Republic for the Under 19s should have been nominated for goal of the year. 

Unfortunately all of these nominations add up to another pretty grim year for the seniors. Nobody pulling up trees.

Kinda agree with this, Enda Stevens and Egan are the only Irish players in the Premier league that consistently play the 90 mins of games.

Everyone else seem to be squad rotated players.
BaileNuisBhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaileNuisBhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Joe Hodge a shoe-in for his one and should be in the 19's as well after those performances at that higher age-group.
Can't wait to see him in the 21's, hopefully as soon as 2021.

quality player, hopefully he makes the breakthrough 
Say no to Egg Chasing!!!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 2:27pm
what about the award for  'Outstanding contribution to Irish Football' ?

Mark Tighe
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 2:33pm
Presented by former CEO of the FAI - Mr John Delaney
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Kinda agree with this, Enda Stevens and Egan are the only Irish players in the Premier league that consistently play the 90 mins of games.

Do Matt Doherty/Seamus Coleman/Jeff Hendrick/Conor Hourihane/David McGoldrick not exist? Even Ciaran Clark prior to his injury was starting most games. Not to mention Long, Connolly, Obafemi, Duffy, and McCarthy who have all appeared fairly regularly this season. It's been anything but a grim season for Irish players, it's actually been a very encouraging one.
We're decent enough..
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 2:44pm
A poor shortlist for the senior team and really reflects how we've struggled.

Stevens should win it as he's the only one that has had a good season at club level and has played OK for ireland too. Not that club level football is taken into account it seems.

McGoldrick has done OK for ireland, got his goal but you can't say he was very good in the games he played, don't get me wrong, he brings a lot to the team with his hold up play and i think we will see him perform well under Kenny, but player of the year? 

People freak out if you criticise Whelan so i won't, strangely the same people that freak out rip Hendrick to pieces as he's fair game.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 2:49pm

Stevens should win it as he's the only one that has had a good season at club level and has played OK for ireland too. Not that club level football is taken into account it seems.

McGoldrick has done OK for ireland, got his goal but you can't say he was very good in the games he played, don't get me wrong, he brings a lot to the team with his hold up play and i think we will see him perform well under Kenny, but player of the year? 

People freak out if you criticise Whelan so i won't, strangely the same people that freak out rip Hendrick to pieces as he's fair game.

McGoldrick won man of the match in about half our games last year, you certainly could say he was very good. In fact about the only criticism I'd have of him was that he didn't score more, because every other aspect of his play was brilliant. Stevens, by comparison, was pretty average when you consider how good his form has been for Sheffield United. McGoldrick should take the prize by an absolute country mile.
We're decent enough..
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 2:58pm
Some good points made ther oshea 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Do Matt Doherty/Seamus Coleman/Jeff Hendrick/Conor Hourihane/David McGoldrick not exist? Even Ciaran Clark prior to his injury was starting most games. Not to mention Long, Connolly, Obafemi, Duffy, and McCarthy who have all appeared fairly regularly this season. It's been anything but a grim season for Irish players, it's actually been a very encouraging one.

I was referring to a grim year in green, rather than a grim year of club football for the players. For what it’s worth, it’s probably been our best collective year in the premier league for some time.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 4:06pm

Dunno what games you were watching. He was excellent in a couple and solid in the rest. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Nominations for young player of the year. 
Alan Browne
Josh Cullen
Callum Robinson
 I'd expect Browne to pick up this award. 

Where’s young Doherty
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Nominations for young player of the year. 
Alan Browne
Josh Cullen
Callum Robinson
 I'd expect Browne to pick up this award. 

Daft list. Whats the criteria even.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 6:07pm
I think it's that they need to be 25 or under and it's based on how they played in Irish senior international games.

Since Mick hardly capped anyone under 25 in competitive games, there's hardly anyone else that could have been on it. Connolly maybe instead of Cullen, because at least Connolly played in a few competitive games.

It's a bit like that darts player with the beard, the beer belly and a couple of kids that keeps winning the world youth darts championship. Luke Humphreys I think is his name.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Presented by former CEO of the FAI - Mr John Delaney

That would be some picture 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 6:57pm

McGoldrick won man of the match in about half our games last year, you certainly could say he was very good. In fact about the only criticism I'd have of him was that he didn't score more, because every other aspect of his play was brilliant. Stevens, by comparison, was pretty average when you consider how good his form has been for Sheffield United. McGoldrick should take the prize by an absolute country mile.
Scoring goals is kind of the main point of being a striker though isn't it, or setting them up which he doesn't do a lot of either. At least when you are playing one up front its a pretty essential requirement. Sheffield United he can get away with it as they have a number of midfield players that chip in with plenty of goals. We don't. 
I'd still keep him in the team based on overall performances and the fact we currently have nobody better but he's hardly sending shivers down goalkeepers spines. Likeable feller though.
Enda probably our best performer, who'd have thought a left back being that in our team based on the last decade?

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Scoring goals is kind of the main point of being a striker though isn't it, or setting them up which he doesn't do a lot of either. At least when you are playing one up front its a pretty essential requirement. Sheffield United he can get away with it as they have a number of midfield players that chip in with plenty of goals. We don't. 
I'd still keep him in the team based on overall performances and the fact we currently have nobody better but he's hardly sending shivers down goalkeepers spines. Likeable feller though.
Enda probably our best performer, who'd have thought a left back being that in our team based on the last decade?

Sorry, but that's complete revisionism based on his Sheff Utd performances. Stevens was actually quite shaky early on in Mick's tenure (understandable, he hadn't played as an orthodox left-back in quite a while); he got better, but he's been nowhere near as effective for us as he is for Sheffield. I'd say his performances have mostly been proficient rather than eye catching. 

McGoldrick, by contrast, was the fulcrum of the team under Mick. Basically everything in an attacking sense went through him, and he played the role excellently. All you have to do is look at how badly we struggled when he was out injured for a couple of games...  He's was far and away the most important player under Mick, it's just not even close.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 30>
  Share Topic