Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alan Browne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 30>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

And I think it is ridiculous to suggest he is an option! Every pass was either over hit or under hit and he struggled to control simple balls. 
We will have to agree to disagree, but I have thought for a while, based on what I have seen for club and country, that he is somewhat short of what is needed.

Well that's plainly nonsense. He's obviously not brilliantly technically gifted, but his passing, control etc last night were absolutely fine. Just because you have a certain idea in your head about a player doesn't mean you can simply apply it to their every performance, even when it doesn't tie to the reality of how they actually played.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 5:42pm
His passing wasn’t fine though, and you saying so doesn’t change that. I really wish every Irish player was as good as you make them out to be, unfortunately they are not. It isn’t that his passing last night was atrocious, but it always made the player receiving the ballto take an extra touch or put them under pressure. It regularly lead to us coughing up possession soon afterwards. It slowed us down way too much when we did keep it. This is in a friendly where there was next to no pressure on him with the ball. He is extremely limited compared to our other options, and lord knows they are limited enough themselves!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 5:55pm
I'm not "saying" it, I f*cking saw it, he hardly misplaced a pass all game. As I've said, I don't believe Browne is a great footballer, but he played pretty well last night. You wishing that he didn't just to indulge your own sad little sense of misery doesn't make it so. 
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I'm not "saying" it, I f*cking saw it, he hardly misplaced a pass all game. As I've said, I don't believe Browne is a great footballer, but he played pretty well last night. You wishing that he didn't just to indulge your own sad little sense of misery doesn't make it so. 
Calm down, dear! I thought he was poor, you didn’t. You think our squad is infallible, I don’t. Don’t take everything so seriously, for your own good, pet!

Edited by pre Madonna - 11 Sep 2019 at 6:08pm
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

"just to indulge your own sad little sense of misery" Clap
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 3:37pm
scores today. Start him versus the all whites. 
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 5:22pm
He was pretty good I thought against Charlton last week. Didn't seem particularly great at anything but was involved in everything and was captaining the side. A decent all-rounder. Just keep him off set-pieces though, they were dreadful. 

Personnel won't change anything though. We need to setup to actually play football and encourage our midfielders to actually get the ball and not be afraid to make passes. Until then it makes no difference, it'll be the same sh*t over and over. Someone like Cullen who I get to watch regularly is comfortable on the ball and plays great exciting football but he won't make a jot of difference in an Irish side. We've already got lads who are decent to good Championship level players, you wouldn't know it in green though. 

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 8:51am
Started slow in the game last night but grew as the game went on, probably his best game in an Irish jersey so far.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 8:57am
ya but like what did he do last night? he is an ok player but if we want to develop our game what does he add? we need a bit of pace, a bit of creativity. i would put browne in the same category as a Meyler. a very average player, not going to take us to any higher level. thats just me.
Bham_McDermott View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 9:42am
Why tf did he play so far over the wing last night? thought he had a decen game in fairness but would have preferred him in Hendrick's slot and maybe a conventional winger on the right
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 9:46am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

ya but like what did he do last night? he is an ok player but if we want to develop our game what does he add? we need a bit of pace, a bit of creativity. i would put browne in the same category as a Meyler. a very average player, not going to take us to any higher level. thats just me.
While I agree with what you are saying, after the game in Geneva I thought the game against the swiss passed him by somewhat, last night I think for the first time he felt more assured playing international football. Should start our remaining games under Mick McCarthy until someone arrives on the scene that can add a bit more quality.

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 19 Nov 2019 at 9:48am
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 10:14am
if we want to create any chances which may lead to goals i dont think we can play with glenn jeff, hourihane and browne. all effectively similar type players. we will never get anywhere.  
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 10:23am
He was OK I thought. Showed a bit of pace at times and tried to make things happen
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 10:24am

if we want to create any chances which may lead to goals i dont think we can play with glenn jeff, hourihane and browne. all effectively similar type players. we will never get anywhere.  

I’d agree with this. 

I felt our midfield was our weak link last night, simply because it didn’t have the capability to be creative enough as it was. And this required McGoldrick to drop very deep, which left the box empty. While Hendrick was alright, he isn’t a natural “Number 10”, while I don’t believe Browne or McClean have the skills in their locker to create a lot from the wings.

The system kept us in the game, however, when it came to 70 minutes we could have gone a different way by replacing Hendrick with Maguire up top, and Robinson for Browne. Again, this may not have made the crucial difference, but it would have provided for a skilled wide player and a striker to partner McGoldrick.
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I’d agree with this. 

I felt our midfield was our weak link last night, simply because it didn’t have the capability to be creative enough as it was. And this required McGoldrick to drop very deep, which left the box empty. While Hendrick was alright, he isn’t a natural “Number 10”, while I don’t believe Browne or McClean have the skills in their locker to create a lot from the wings.

The system kept us in the game, however, when it came to 70 minutes we could have gone a different way by replacing Hendrick with Maguire up top, and Robinson for Browne. Again, this may not have made the crucial difference, but it would have provided for a skilled wide player and a striker to partner McGoldrick.

Agreed but we need Molomphy to step up. Not sure what the story is with Mccarthy.
It's not me it's you:-)
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:19am
On last nights showing he is worthy of his place in the squad.
Before that I wasn’t sure about him.
Not sure if he should be starting but he did well last night. 
Hourihane on the other hand was brutal. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:21am
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I’d agree with this. 

Agreed but we need Molomphy to step up. Not sure what the story is with Mccarthy.

Personally, I don’t feel McCarthy would have offered much more than Whelan, on the basis of Whelan’s performance last night.

In truth it was on the wings and up top that we needed changes. Egan’s injury really didn’t help.
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

On last nights showing he is worthy of his place in the squad.
Before that I wasn’t sure about him.
Not sure if he should be starting but he did well last night. 
Hourihane on the other hand was brutal. 

Yeah, very disappointed with Hourihane last night. Needs to be much stronger on the ball, dispossessed too easily. Also came deep for the ball a lot in the first half and because the Danes werent pressing (except for their forwards which shows how disorganised Denmark were) he had plenty of time to turn when he got the ball. Alas he never did and simply played a pointless safe ball back to whence it came   In fact I dont think one of our midfielders turned on the ball in the first half. 

Hourihane seemed to react very petulantly to being subbed. Walked head down around the pitch and didnt acknowledge the fans applauding him as far as I could tell. Poor enough. Obviously he was disappointed but you need to hide that disappointment for 20 mins in the circumstances.

Its a pity if Hourihane doesnt up his game as his delivery is a huge asset. Hendrick and Browne both had good second halves after anonymous first halves. Thats ok from Browne as he is still finding his feet but Jeff needs to do better for 90 mins.  Whelan was good throughout. In fact probably Whelans best ever qualifying campaign at 35?

As for McClean, as limited as always on the ball and again not sure he beat the first man with a single cross. His workrate back, particularly near the end, was absolutely heroic, but Id swap that any day for a properly functioning wide man. In fact his efforts perfectly summed up in the yellow card incident. A Dane was slow to react to a pass and McClean bust a gut to get there before him - so far so good. James then, having gotten there, knocked the ball about 8 yards in front of himself with a hilariously awful first touch. To make up for this he tried nonetheless to win the ball from the Dane he had virtually passed the ball too and in the process gave away a free and picked up a card.

Lastly viz Browne, worth noting that at 24 he has 200 plus senior appearances at a high level to his name and 30 odd goals. Thats going to stand him in good stead over the next 10 years hopefully.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 30>
  Share Topic