FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alan Browne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 30>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 10:42am
I wouldn't be a massive fan of Browne but he does pop up with a goal here and there and in fairness was impressive in last two game and a few other games. Due to our complete lack of midfield quality, he is a good squad option at minute.
Sponsored Links

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 6:29am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Makes the EFL Championship Team of Midweek

If ever a post summed up how sh*te we are it's this. 

Whoope-dooooo we've a mid week player of the week in a 2nd tier league. 

Helpful.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 4:05am

If ever a post summed up how sh*te we are it's this. 

Whoope-dooooo we've a mid week player of the week in a 2nd tier league. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

What this Browne revisionism craic about lads? I think he's always been within a range of ok to very good for Ireland and has been one of Preston's main players in the Championship with years, at one point being on the cusp of moving upwards if I remember correctly but not quite working out for him.

I'd be surprised if many Ireland supporters disputed the above points so who is the "up yours" stuff aimed at?

Browne really should have kicked on after the 17/18 or 18/19 season to the next level so to speak. That he didn’t good luck to him don’t know his circumstances but he has stagnated a touch in recent years as a result at Preston. 

He has started this season brilliantly and agreed I thought he did well against France in particular himself helped by Collins did a proper number on Mbappe. 

Would be unreal to see Preston continue their promotion push. 

Edited by kevin100 - 21 Sep 2023 at 10:16pm
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 10:12pm
For John, Hendrick and Smallbone can do little wrong, Molumby can do little right. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 9:57pm

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Disagree, Cullen has been poor the last 4-5 games, but in general has been good and demonstrates an ability to dictate play beyond Browne's ability.

Molumby's been excellent under Kenny - he's been chosen as a scapegoat (like so many other Irish midfielder's before him) due to the crime of not being Pirlo. He was picked out vs France for supposedly hiding from the ball, but as the stats later showed he had more completed passes than any other Irish player in that game despite only playing 67 minutes. Himself and Browne are extremely similar in many ways, but Molumby has more natural ability and a higher ceiling ultimately.
You seem to imagine Hendrick is always bossing the game even when he's only touched the ball twice on 90 minutes to make 2 sideways passes. 
Browne consistently outperforms Molumby at both club and international level so for the moment at least that makes him a better player by a clear margin.
I'd rate his ability level similar to that of Cullen, very good championship performer but maybe a little short of Premier league class. Difference to Cullen though is he makes more direct impact on a game(in a positive way anyway). If we have any promising attacking moments in a match Browne will often be prominent in them - Cullen seldom.

What's Hendrick got to do with anything? He's nowhere near starting any more.

Molumby was arguably WBA's best performer last year, the fans love him. He's got Browne's athleticism and is a more natural footballer, it's that simple.

Cullen is a significantly better footballer who has some ability to dictate play from deep, there's no choice between him and Browne, it's between Browne and Molumby.

Not for me Bob, headless chicken, lacks composure, looked to be improving for a while last season but has reverted to his ineffective runabout style lately. Browne looks to have found a bit extra to his game this season, might just be a short term thing, but he's certainly in form at the moment and affecting games positively. Playing with confidence, miles clear of Jayson on current form. 

Cullen hasnt been great for Ireland lately but he retains credit in the bank for me, plus I'd expect him to improve for the experience in the PL although that's not a given either.

It's Cullen, Knight and one of Browne or Smallbone for me. Molumby as the third just renders the whole midfield too negative for me.

Where have Molumby's performances dropped? He got slaughtered on here after France, but as I've already said he completed more passes than any other player. He's simply getting scapegoated.

Browne has improved a lot technically to the point he's competent on the ball, but he's still quite robotic in his movement and clearly it doesn't come naturally to him. Molumby ain't Pirlo, but he came through at Brighton and it's fairly obvious he has a more natural touch for the intricate stuff than Browne does.
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 9:03pm

Disagree, Cullen has been poor the last 4-5 games, but in general has been good and demonstrates an ability to dictate play beyond Browne's ability.

Molumby's been excellent under Kenny - he's been chosen as a scapegoat (like so many other Irish midfielder's before him) due to the crime of not being Pirlo. He was picked out vs France for supposedly hiding from the ball, but as the stats later showed he had more completed passes than any other Irish player in that game despite only playing 67 minutes. Himself and Browne are extremely similar in many ways, but Molumby has more natural ability and a higher ceiling ultimately.
You seem to imagine Hendrick is always bossing the game even when he's only touched the ball twice on 90 minutes to make 2 sideways passes. 
Browne consistently outperforms Molumby at both club and international level so for the moment at least that makes him a better player by a clear margin.
I'd rate his ability level similar to that of Cullen, very good championship performer but maybe a little short of Premier league class. Difference to Cullen though is he makes more direct impact on a game(in a positive way anyway). If we have any promising attacking moments in a match Browne will often be prominent in them - Cullen seldom.

Molumby was arguably WBA's best performer last year, the fans love him. He's got Browne's athleticism and is a more natural footballer, it's that simple.

Cullen is a significantly better footballer who has some ability to dictate play from deep, there's no choice between him and Browne, it's between Browne and Molumby.

Not for me Bob, headless chicken, lacks composure, looked to be improving for a while last season but has reverted to his ineffective runabout style lately. Browne looks to have found a bit extra to his game this season, might just be a short term thing, but he's certainly in form at the moment and affecting games positively. Playing with confidence, miles clear of Jayson on current form. 

Cullen hasnt been great for Ireland lately but he retains credit in the bank for me, plus I'd expect him to improve for the experience in the PL although that's not a given either.

It's Cullen, Knight and one of Browne or Smallbone for me. Molumby as the third just renders the whole midfield too negative for me.
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 8:54pm

We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 8:34pm

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 3:13pm
Idah Dream!
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 11:25am
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

Been in the doldrums with Preston for a good while. Would like to see him really kick on now. Type of player you could see doing well in Belgium like Cullen did. Good opportunity for European football

I can't see him leaving Preston. 

He must be considered club legend there. It will be 10 years at the club at the start of 2024.

Preston are in with a chance this season. Play-offs at worst.

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

It's been by large a good International window for Alan Browne. His versatility will make sure he's on the plane to Germany in two years time.

Is he going on holidays 
LOL
First post I saw when I searched Browne on ybig. The thing is you'll always nearly have to scroll back a few pages to find the Browne thread. Look id imagine he's fairly settled in life now can only see him moving clubs if he doesn't have to move house etc. 

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 21 Sep 2023 at 11:00am
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 6:51am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

It's been by large a good International window for Alan Browne. His versatility will make sure he's on the plane to Germany in two years time.

Is he going on holidays 
AKA pedantic kunt
PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 3:47am
Modern day Alan McLoughlin
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 3:28am

He really hasn't, Browne has mostly been recognised for what he is, a good Championship midfielder with excellent athleticism. He looked like he might improve to an EPL level player at one stage, but he kind of plateaued a few years ago. At 28 he's very much in his prime, so maybe he will be able to kick on another level now. For me he's one of those players who you'd always want in the squad, but not quite good enough to be a guatanteed starter.

A fair assessment. 

I'd agree with the other poster too, he get's more criticism then he deserves. When you play in a crap team most players look crap. But some get more blame for it then others. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 11:37pm

He performs better than any other midfielder we have who is at any point considered a regular starter under Kenny so for that in itself is reason enough for him to be a regular starter. Agreed about his overall ability level, but that still places him equal to or above our alternative midfield options at the moment.

We're decent enough..
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 11:28pm
Out of contract next summer. Big decision for him to stick with Preston or push for a move like Lenihan who was in a similar position 12 months ago.

Edited by J89 - 20 Sep 2023 at 11:29pm
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 11:18pm
He performs better than any other midfielder we have who is at any point considered a regular starter under Kenny so for that in itself is reason enough for him to be a regular starter. Agreed about his overall ability level, but that still places him equal to or above our alternative midfield options at the moment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 30>
  Share Topic