You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rovers V Liverpool MEGATHRED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deiseblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by LesVerts LesVerts wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

Good Post Ger Thumbs Up<div abp="776"><br abp="777"><div abp="778">Most of the lads I go to Rovers games with have an EPL/SPL club that they follow too. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I would consider myself a Man Utd & Celtic fan as well. I just on the other hand can't understand how so many Irish EPL fans can go so long without being at a live football match. <span style="line-height: 1.4;" abp="779">There must be plenty on this forum alone that the only time they see a live football match watching a team they support is when Ireland play.</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;" abp="780"> </span>Confused<div abp="782"><br abp="783"><div abp="784"><strong abp="785">Not having an LOI team isn't really an excuse for me either. Again, there are 2 or 3 of the lads who go to Rovers games with me have really only started supporting them in the last couple of seasons, the season of the Europa League run to be exact. It's very easy to get into it, and it's usually a great start to a Friday night out as well Thumbs Up

<div abp="787"> <div abp="788">You live in Dublin yes? So there are plenty of LOI clubs within a 10/15 mile radius? <div abp="789"> <div abp="790">Put yourself in my shoes, I live in Carlow, the nearest ground to me is the guts of an hour away. I work, go to college and play gaa/soccer as well as a bit of coaching on the side! <div abp="790"> <div abp="790">Aside from me going to Ireland games home and away (when I can) , going over to Sunderland/Glasgow a few times a season is like a mini break for me! Firstly I go for the football, that's a given, but its nice to get away from Carlow too. <div abp="791"> <div abp="792">Its ignorance on peoples part who actually have a LOI club on their doorstep. <div abp="793"> <div abp="794"> 

It can take nearly two hours to get from northside dublin to tallaght on a friday evening using public transport. How I wish i wish it could take me an hour.

Green Devil - You are an hour away from the RSC in Waterford on one of the finest , underused roads in Ireland & no toll fee either

Edited by deiseblue - 16 May 2014 at 8:55pm
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by deiseblue deiseblue wrote:

Originally posted by LesVerts LesVerts wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

Good Post Ger Thumbs Up<div abp="776"><br abp="777"><div abp="778">Most of the lads I go to Rovers games with have an EPL/SPL club that they follow too. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I would consider myself a Man Utd & Celtic fan as well. I just on the other hand can't understand how so many Irish EPL fans can go so long without being at a live football match. <span style="line-height: 1.4;" abp="779">There must be plenty on this forum alone that the only time they see a live football match watching a team they support is when Ireland play.</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;" abp="780"> </span>Confused<div abp="782"><br abp="783"><div abp="784"><strong abp="785">Not having an LOI team isn't really an excuse for me either. Again, there are 2 or 3 of the lads who go to Rovers games with me have really only started supporting them in the last couple of seasons, the season of the Europa League run to be exact. It's very easy to get into it, and it's usually a great start to a Friday night out as well Thumbs Up

<div abp="787"> <div abp="788">You live in Dublin yes? So there are plenty of LOI clubs within a 10/15 mile radius? <div abp="789"> <div abp="790">Put yourself in my shoes, I live in Carlow, the nearest ground to me is the guts of an hour away. I work, go to college and play gaa/soccer as well as a bit of coaching on the side! <div abp="790"> <div abp="790">Aside from me going to Ireland games home and away (when I can) , going over to Sunderland/Glasgow a few times a season is like a mini break for me! Firstly I go for the football, that's a given, but its nice to get away from Carlow too. <div abp="791"> <div abp="792">Its ignorance on peoples part who actually have a LOI club on their doorstep. <div abp="793"> <div abp="794"> 

It can take nearly two hours to get from northside dublin to tallaght on a friday evening using public transport. How I wish i wish it could take me an hour.

Green Devil - You are an hour away from the RSC in Waterford on one of the finest , underused roads in Ireland & no toll fee either

No denying that mate, I'm in college in Waterford! Just from being there Sunday night to Friday afternoon, along with having a Hurling match/training most Fridays, it's hard to stay down in Waterford you know?
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 12:19am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

So Wednesday night threw up what we all expected.
Grown men decked out in replica Liverpool jerseys asking for directions to Ireland’s national football stadium to see their heroes in action.
A third string Liverpool team made up of a couple of fringe players and reserves attracted substantially more people through the turnstiles than a competitive Ireland match.
Inside, the tune of the Fields of Athenry could be heard but this was not the Paddy Reilly classic.   
The Fields of Anfield Road was sang loud and clear by the Irishmen and women in support of the English team while, up above, a plane, presumably paid for by Irishmen who support a club in Manchester, flew a banner mocking the Irish Liverpool followers below. Confused?
There was also plenty of abuse levelled at the players as you would expect when a team from England is on Irish soil. The young Shamrock Rovers bore the brunt of this.
All this happened in Dublin. Still confused?
If the last few weeks has taught us anything, apart from Liverpool not having any bottle, it’s that Irish followers of clubs like Liverpool and Man United take as much joy in seeing the other lose as they do in their own team winning.
That’s not supporting your team. Supporting your team is actively going to watch them, cheering them on win, lose or draw. You don’t support a team because they are successful or good to watch.
One Liverpool follower in Lansdowne Road was quick to point out that he wouldn’t cross the road to see Ireland play because they are sub-standard.
Now, I am aware that Liverpool’s fine season has unearthed plenty of closet fans who have dusted down their old jerseys. But have they seen Liverpool play the past few seasons? It was hardly free flowing stuff before Rodgers arrived.
Even if it was, is following a football team for them down to how good their team or the product is?
If you have answered yes, you are a customer, not a fan.
Of course, sport is there to be enjoyed and everyone is entitled to support who they want, when they want.
And if it brings a smile to your face, all the better.
There are plenty of people who follow The English Premier League and go about their business in a dignified manner.
But there is something fundamentally wrong when some of the Irish vehemently cheer on an English club who will have five players in England’s World Cup panel against 11 Irishmen, one of who has represented his country with pride at U-21 level.
Don’t get me wrong. For every barstool mouth that calls his Dublin mate a Scouse or Manc ****, there is the self-righteous League of Ireland fan who can sometimes do more to turn people off going to games than attend them.
Both should be ignored.
But don’t turn your back on live football. It simply can’t be beaten.

Clap
Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 12:25am
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by ruairi ruairi wrote:

People do not attend League of Ireland due to apathy and laziness. I know it's hard to hear but it's just my opinion. If you want to have an affinity to a league of Ireland club, take all the cash you'd spend on a weekend trip to Manchester, pick your closest club and back them to win the league, cup, avoid relegation, whatever. Maybe watch their high-lites on soccer republic. get on their online message board, introduce yourself as a new fan, trust me, you'd be surprised at the positive response. Then try and make one or two games a season. It really doesn't take much. 

And you were doing so well.

The above is more dictating, telling people what to do, instead of attracting them to games.

LOI is the only business I know of where the customer is expected to cater to the demands of the club, rather than the other way round.

Rovers are playing at home on Saturday night this weekend for the first time in 8 months. A fantastic noght gor football which if marketed properly, could be "Saturday Night-Rovers Night" going forward.

Sadly the only marketing it will get, is a poster of a random image from a random Rovers game in the past, and the ko timed so that people have time to get to the pub afterwards. This despite the fact that the nearest pub is a sub-2 minute walk across the road. So people won't go and it will be back to the stale old Friday night model afterwards, and back to Square One.

You posted this in the loi section a few weeks ago and you were shot down then. I can only speak for Derry and say that Friday night suits us, other nights have been tried but Friday night brings us the better gates. I don't think clubs will find any massive increase in attendances by changing the day they are playing.

And dont start about price, we are a tenner in, just slightly more than a packet of cigs, if someone doesn't want to part with that to their local club then they can get f**ked frankly

So is it just everyone else you expected to move their games for you Confused
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 12:39am
GerK, RTID and some of the other Rovers lads hit the nail on the head for me already. I will say though that barstoolers are far worse when taken out of the natural habitat, they also had their mouths open wide with amazement when they got stick fired back at them. Two moments at the game summed these fellas up, the fella RTID mentioned who was sl*gging his own countrymen and then calling it on when anyone took umbrage to the term, remember Liverpool have previous for this having killed an Irish football fan before, however this fella would literally have been eaten alive had the stewards not whisked him off LOL. And of course the young lad in the right corner to us who was clearly at his first ever live game, sticking up the finger at us because we weren't clapping his heroes, he got a few choice songs aimed at him for the next few minutes after LOL
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 4:53pm
Richie Sadlier missed the point by a mile in the Sindo
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 5:09pm
Link to Sadlier's piece?
Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 5:19pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 5:20pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 5:31pm
Who would have known Landon Donovan was Richie sadlier :)

I agree with sadlier that everybody is free to live their the way they want to. And can ignore the league in their country if they want.

But people are also free to nightlight the paradox of someone supporting an English team against an Irish team while still proclaiming to be a proud Irish person and nationalist.

If someone actually said that its totally about entertainment and not about geography and therefore I support man Utd and brazil . I would get that. Its the I support Liverpool Celtic and Ireland cause I am super Irish I am that can be highlighted.

In relation to improving the league, I think facilities which are more family friendly would help. Rugby has grown for a number of reasons and one is fathers and mothers feel like bringing their kids to RDS and thomond park as their is the feel of an event happening. The product In the LOI is not good enough to attract customers it only attracts supporters.

Edited by Baldrick - 19 May 2014 at 5:43pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 5:33pm
Well, he did miss the point, so....
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Richie Sadlier missed the point by a mile in the Sindo

The only thing I'm surprised about is that he didn't bring up his sob story about being a childhood Rangers oldco fan and getting the stick he was looking for...
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 6:10pm
Terrible piece,
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

Terrible piece,
There has being much better reading on this thread by ybig posters
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Who would have known Landon Donovan was Richie sadlier :)

I agree with sadlier that everybody is free to live their the way they want to. And can ignore the league in their country if they want.

But people are also free to nightlight the paradox of someone supporting an English team against an Irish team while still proclaiming to be a proud Irish person and nationalist.

If someone actually said that its totally about entertainment and not about geography and therefore I support man Utd and brazil . I would get that. Its the I support Liverpool Celtic and Ireland cause I am super Irish I am that can be highlighted.

In relation to improving the league, I think facilities which are more family friendly would help. Rugby has grown for a number of reasons and one is fathers and mothers feel like bringing their kids to RDS and thomond park as their is the feel of an event happening. The product In the LOI is not good enough to attract customers it only attracts supporters.

784 in thomand park on Friday night, I don't buy the facilities argument

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
DG80 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 10:03pm
decent article by eamonn sweeney.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/flair-worth-coming-out-for-30263126.html
cup champions
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 10:34pm
Not sure about that, I heard from a Pats mate who was at the game that Fahey wasn't up to much that day (like he hasn't been the last while) so not sure if Sweeney is really on the ball with him being "superb" that day. McPahail is worthy of a mention though for any suggested "golden age" I'd have thought. I'm sure other teams fans would disagree with other players as well
Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 10:45pm
Fahey was useless that day
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>
  Share Topic