FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rovers V Liverpool MEGATHRED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
captain slog View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captain slog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rovers V Liverpool MEGATHRED
    Posted: 20 May 2014 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Originally posted by captain slog captain slog wrote:

he mentions the word 'unpatriotic', the idea that Irish people who cant speak their own language could regard other Irish people who support 'foreign' clubs 'unpatriotic' is laughable and cringy,as if the soccer team people support is a more important aspect of national identity than your own language

There is a valid point when people who follow an arbitrary foreign side on the basis they have some contrived Irish roots, when they actually don't, call the local players "Irish ***ts".

the made up Irish connection is embarassing, it would be like people claiming Shamrock Rovers have a strong English connection
Sponsored Links

roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 11:28am
Originally posted by captain slog captain slog wrote:

he mentions the word 'unpatriotic', the idea that Irish people who cant speak their own language could regard other Irish people who support 'foreign' clubs 'unpatriotic' is laughable and cringy,as if the soccer team people support is a more important aspect of national identity than your own language
There is a valid point when people who follow an arbitrary foreign side on the basis they have some contrived Irish roots, when they actually don't, call the local players "Irish ***ts".

captain slog View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captain slog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Del-Piero Del-Piero wrote:

http://www.independent.ie/s/soccer/league-of-ireland/the-only-surprise-is-that-people-are-still-surprised-30282650.%20 - http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/the-only-surprise-is-that-people-are-still-surprised-30282650.html
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 7:48am
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

If our soccer media - those print and broadcast journalists - had attended LOI games from a young age, like me, then they might have an inkling of passion for domestic football. But most of them have prob never been through a LOI turnstile in their lives and just obsess about the EPL and SPL. Bless them :)     

dung talk again.

so you have to have been born and raised in an LOI town to have a passion for football ?

and how do you know about the journos? any of the irish ones i have met who regularly report on the EPL have a great knowledge of the domestic game too.

the main thing here is people can feel superior to everyone else.
EPL fan goons thinking their EPL team is the best and irish football is sh*te

and LOI fans with their own superiority complex. yet more turned up to see their team play liverpools reserves in the aviva than goes to tallaght...

both as bad as each other.

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 1:19am
I`ve been finding this thread highly interesting and the best post for me so far came from KingswoodRover, when he addressed the central question: "Is there any other country whose domestic league has been so reduced or ridiculed in the minds of their own population?"

Look across Europe at small nations like ourselves and they put our sham patriotism to shame. The Cypriots have a quarter of our population, yet Limassol or Nicosia will regularly qualify for Europa group stages or even the CL, because they`ll get gates of 18K to fund their progress.

The Danes have a similar population to us, but they dont go streaming across the (nearby) border to Germany in order to follow a Bundesliga team. They`re a proud people who believe in their own domestic league and because of fanbase support and resources, Danish clubs regularly compete at the business end of European competition.

It`s the same for Norway, Sweden, Finland, Switzerland and other small nations like ourselves. The fans support their local football product, in the knowledge that support equals revenue equals comparative success in Europe. We dont seem to have grasped that yet...

If our soccer media - those print and broadcast journalists - had attended LOI games from a young age, like me, then they might have an inkling of passion for domestic football. But most of them have prob never been through a LOI turnstile in their lives and just obsess about the EPL and SPL. Bless them :)     
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 11:33pm
That piece of the show was an absolute embarrassment to the LOI as a whole
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 11:28pm
It is a cringefest! A LOI highlights programme and the main issue is Liverpool reserves end of season piss up!
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 11:26pm
If any Liverpool fans were watching that, I don't think they will any more turned on by LOI. Sadlier came out looking better than the other lad which says enough.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 11:23pm
He is winding up. Clear as day, big smirk on his face,
AKA pedantic kunt
LesVerts View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LesVerts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 11:16pm
richie sadlier is a gobsh*te and hes making a bigger gobsh*te of himself on soccer republic now.
saintjoey View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintjoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 11:09pm
Your mans artical as a whole is right, pats are the team to watch there's no questions about that? His fahey thing is just the usual pick the best player as MOTM stuff ya usually see, Fahey hasn't done much since he's came back, he hasn't been terrible either just not his usual self! There's 2 reasons for this IMO 1 his 2 year absence from the game an I can see him getting fitter every week and 2 him playing holding midfielder! He's not a holding midfielder he might have been made more definsivly minded in England but over here his passing ability in the top half of the pitch is unreal, playing him deep encourages his 40 yard passes which can't come off all the time! When he's hanging around the edge for corners an the ball drops to him he's like the old fahey, little passes taking people on, driving into the box but for some reason unknown to me he's not been played there I hope it changes!
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah wrote:

Fahey was useless that day

Cheers LOL.

Probably wasn't even at the game.
Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others
Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 10:45pm
Fahey was useless that day
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 10:34pm
Not sure about that, I heard from a Pats mate who was at the game that Fahey wasn't up to much that day (like he hasn't been the last while) so not sure if Sweeney is really on the ball with him being "superb" that day. McPahail is worthy of a mention though for any suggested "golden age" I'd have thought. I'm sure other teams fans would disagree with other players as well
Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others
DG80 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 10:03pm
decent article by eamonn sweeney.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/flair-worth-coming-out-for-30263126.html
cup champions
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Who would have known Landon Donovan was Richie sadlier :)

I agree with sadlier that everybody is free to live their the way they want to. And can ignore the league in their country if they want.

But people are also free to nightlight the paradox of someone supporting an English team against an Irish team while still proclaiming to be a proud Irish person and nationalist.

If someone actually said that its totally about entertainment and not about geography and therefore I support man Utd and brazil . I would get that. Its the I support Liverpool Celtic and Ireland cause I am super Irish I am that can be highlighted.

In relation to improving the league, I think facilities which are more family friendly would help. Rugby has grown for a number of reasons and one is fathers and mothers feel like bringing their kids to RDS and thomond park as their is the feel of an event happening. The product In the LOI is not good enough to attract customers it only attracts supporters.

784 in thomand park on Friday night, I don't buy the facilities argument

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

Terrible piece,
There has being much better reading on this thread by ybig posters
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 6:10pm
Terrible piece,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
  Share Topic