You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - UCC/Cork City Patronage Launch - Roy Keane 27-3-14
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UCC/Cork City Patronage Launch - Roy Keane 27-3-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesyIrishGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UCC/Cork City Patronage Launch - Roy Keane 27-3-14
    Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 1:41am

Roy Keane Speaks At Patronage Scheme Launch (27/3/14) 

Roy Keane at Launch
Special guest Roy Keane joined Tony O’Donoghue on stage and offered his thoughts on a wide range of matters, including his new role with the Republic of Ireland, Manchester United and the time he signed for Cork City FC.

Audio Version -

I'm Mick McCarthy's baby!
Sponsored Links

JamesyIrishGuy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesyIrishGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 1:44am

When Keano met Ireland’s granny

Thursday, March 27, 2014
By Liam Mackey

On the subject of keeping tabs on Irish players, Roy Keane generated laughter in the Aula Maxima in UCC last night with a deliciously ironic revelation concerning Stephen Ireland, the Stoke City midfielder who hasn’t played for his country since the infamous ‘Grannygate’ episode in 2007.

“Well I spoke with his grandmother this morning, she was on the flight coming over and she asked me would he get back involved,” said Keane with a broad grin. “And I couldn’t lie to her, I said he’d have a chance if he’s playing well. I think Martin had a conversation with him and all that needs to fall into place.

“We all know how talented Stephen is. Martin will look at that. We wouldn’t be shutting the door on any player. What is important for any player — and Stephen is the same — is it does help to be playing week-in week-out. He’s only just got a run of games at Stoke now. So I certainly wouldn’t be ruling anyone out.”

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/when-keano-met-irelands-granny-263369.html

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesyIrishGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 1:45am

Keane: Moyes deserves time at United

Thursday, March 27, 2014
By Liam Mackey

Roy Keane believes that Manchester United should stick by embattled manager David Moyes but predicts that things will almost certainly get worse before they get better for the club.

Keane, who attended the three-nil loss to Manchester City at Old Trafford on Tuesday night, said: “It’s tough going for United at the moment. It’s not a lack of effort, I’ve seen a few of their games. They’ve lost a bit of confidence. They’re human beings. But it’s not going to get any easier in the next couple of months.

“There’s a bit more pain to come. If they play against Bayern Munich like they have in the last two weeks then they’ll be in massive, massive trouble. At the Liverpool game, I thought United would be okay but they never turned up. Against City, I thought they’d be alright and they never turned up — my God they better turn up next Tuesday night.”

Nevertheless, Keane reckons David Moyes deserves to be given the time required to put things right.

“He’s got vast experience and good staff,” he said. “A couple of senior players, Rio and Giggsy, they’ve got to step up to the plate. One or two of the new players are getting criticism but it’s up to the players who have been there a few years who know what United are about. They also need to get certain players in, certain characters to make sure they battle for every minute of every game.

“I think United will be alright and David Moyes will get plenty of time. The man deserves it. Sometimes a manager has to go but get him to the summer, get a few players in and give him a chance. I don’t think people can comprehend the size of Manchester United.

“Anyone who has got any idea about football will know this was the biggest job — to follow Alex Ferguson. Clever people were saying you want to follow the manager after Alex Ferguson. That’s why David Moyes — give the man time, give him a chance. He’s only been in there two minutes.”

Keane, who was speaking in UCC last night at the launch of a new Cork City patronage scheme, also dismissed Stan Collymore’s call that he and Martin O’Neill – two former Forest men — should replace sacked Nottingham Forest manager Billy Davies at the City Ground, insisting his focus is now firmly on his job as Ireland assistant manager.

“Me and Martin have only been in the door two minutes with the senior team and we’re enjoying it,” he said.

“It’s a big, big challenge ahead and there is so much we have to do. Even the Serbia match, it was a learning curve for us in terms of preparation and boundaries with people, even the media and the FAI. Sometimes with this speculation you’d take it as a compliment. Forest are a top club but my intentions are to continue working with Martin and the senior team and to try and qualify. I don’t tend to get distracted by media stuff.”

However, Keane reiterated he would still hope to return to management in his own right in the future.

“The contract (with Ireland) is obviously a couple of years and I’m delighted to work with Martin, Seamus (McDonagh) and the other staff,” he said. “But I never said for one minute that I wasn’t looking to go and do my own thing. I made massive mistakes, particularly at Ipswich, and I did okay at Sunderland but I’m still learning and I think I’m learning under a top, top manager in Martin and I’m enjoying it. But it’s dangerous to look too far ahead.”

On the subject of his autobiographical work in progress with author Roddy Doyle, Keane quipped: “He’s a good guy for a Chelsea fan.”

Keane said he enjoys Doyle’s company, adding: “He’s clever. I didn’t realise how much I had to say. I think he mentioned that over the course of the few months we’d need maybe 80 or 90 thousand words – I think we got that in the first few hours (laughs). There was nothing wrong with the last book (ghosted by Eamon Dunphy) but I was still a player then and I was under the FA so your hands are tied a little bit and I suffered the consequences — a big fine and a ban.”

* For more information on the Cork City Patronage Scheme, in partnership with UCC, see the club website at www.corkcityfc.ie

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/keane-moyes-deserves-time-at-united-263368.html
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesyIrishGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 1:46am

Keane recalls glory days (and nights) on Leeside

Friday, March 28, 2014
By Liam Mackey

In keeping with his role as guest of honour at the launch of the Cork City FC Patronage Scheme in support of the club’s underage Education and Development Fund, it was appropriate that Roy Keane found time to reflect on his early days in football and, in particular, the critical move from Leeside to Nottingham which paved the way for the creation of a legend.

Keane recalled how, at the outset of his career, his determination to get on an FAI/FÁS soccer course saw him break the rules by signing for both Cork City (“Upstairs in Le Chateau — I wasn’t drinking!”) and, within a couple of days, Cobh Ramblers.

“The FAI charged me which was maybe the start of things to come,” he grinned. “Rightly so, I’d signed for two clubs. They fined me one hundred pounds and Cobh paid it. And going to Cobh was my chance to go on the FÁS course. Playing League of Ireland was a great education. With Cobh we were in the First Division and it was tough but it was great for me when I went to Forest at 19.

“I spoke to the Irish U17s a few weeks ago. You forget how young they are, 16 going over. It’s a shock to the system. It’s hard enough moving when you’re 19, 20 or 21. It’s a big ask. I can only speak from experience: I don’t think it would have suited me going over at 16 but I can understand why it is hard for young players to turn it down when they have the chance.

“Going over at 19 suited me. I had the year with Cobh, a year on the FÁS course, I was physically fine. I was ready for the full team training. Forest was the right club for me, Brian Clough was the right manager, the way they played the game.”

Celebrated Forest boss Clough ensured Keane had time off to go home to Cork, even if it meant having to make allowances for the rather less disciplined young man of those early days (recalling Sidetrax disco in his native city, Keane quipped: “I eventually got barred from there but it wasn’t my fault! Self defence”).

“Brian was very good,” Keane recalled. “I was young, 19, but I was doing well for him and he looked after me. He’d let me go back once a month for three or four nights. He never realised when I went back and played the following Saturday I didn’t play too well because I’d been out four nights in-a-row back then!

“Forest was a brilliant club for me. You need breaks. Rockmount was the right club for me. Cobh was the right club at the right time but I’m sure I could have done okay for Cork City.”

Flashing forward from career beginning to career end, Keane – in praising Paul Scholes’ television analysis of the Manchester derby – observed that the challenges for the retired footballer can be even more testing than those for the neophyte.

“It’s a massive shock to the system. The pitfalls for ex-footballers are frightening in terms of addictions, gambling, bankruptcies and divorces. It’s pretty scary so I think it’s important ex-players get an opportunity at whatever it might be, doing TV or making appearances. Scholesy kept it simple [on TV] and it was the way he played. I loved playing with him and, you know, it was nice to see him.”

NOTE: The Cork City FC Patronage Scheme, in partnership with UCC, is in support of the club’s underage Education and Development Fund, the objective of which is to assist in educating and developing the very best footballing talent on Leeside. For more information, contact Tim Murphy, Chief Executive, Cork City FC on 087-9575362 or tmurphy@corkcityfc.ie

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/keane-recalls-glory-days-and-nights-on-leeside-263530.html

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesyIrishGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 1:47am

Expect Irish evolution, not revolution, says Keane

Friday, March 28, 2014
By Liam Mackey 

While Roy Keane insists that winning is what it’s all about, he has warned against expectations of “a quick fix” as the new management continue their work on shaping a side which can qualify for the finals of Euro 2016.

“Sometimes managers, or the Irish team, can get labelled with a certain way of playing,” Keane acknowledged. “I think if we can win matches. I think that’s the most important thing.

“We have got good players. Even going back to when I played, Ireland got criticised for maybe being too direct, didn’t keep the ball well enough. Even when I played under Jack [Charlton] or even Mick [McCarthy], we were pretty direct. The game is changing but it depends on the players you have available.

“We’ve got a lot of good ball players. Reidy [Andy Reid], Wes Hoolahan, we’ve mentioned Stephen Ireland, all very talented boys. Stokesy [Anthony Stokes]. So it depends on what games come around, what players are available, who’s in good form, who’s in their club teams.

“Again, don’t underestimate Martin’s experience. He’s got great experience and I certainly know from watching his teams over the years, his teams have played different styles of play. They can be very aggressive, they can be a good counter-attacking team, which he certainly did at Aston Villa. Pretty physical and strong up at Celtic. Very good team he built at Leicester. So, as I said, it’s not a quick fix. Don’t be thinking that all of a sudden we’re going to be playing a system that you’ve not heard of. Again, we’ll look at the players and we’ll look at what’s available.”

While expressing the hope that new talent can be introduced to the squad, Keane again insisted that this too has to be a work in progress.

“We’re not putting ourselves under pressure to try and discover players or find out something that the previous management didn’t,” he said. “No, no, it’ll be a slow process on that side of it but what we have to look at [is that] a lot of our players are doing well week in, week out in the Premier League. Martin and myself, we have to try and get a bigger squad. Every player that might be available we’ll look at them. We’re not shutting any doors on any players. But it might just take a bit of time.

“We’ve got potentially four games at the end of the season and we might get an opportunity to look at some other players then. But I know Martin is like myself, we still want to win the football matches. I don’t think we want to be throwing caps around. We want the lads to earn the right to play, particularly for the senior team. So it’s a process we’re enjoying. Martin’s a good guy and I feel lucky to be working with him.”

Since he was speaking on a visit to this hometown, it was perhaps inevitable that Keane would be asked if he’d like to see more Cork men in the national team.

“We keep looking,” he grinned. “Again, if they’re good enough, they’ll get involved. I think it’s important Martin and myself look at the League of Ireland players. I think it’s important we go and watch the games. I think people have been far too negative about League of Ireland football. I think it’s very good and I think a lot of the teams are trying to play good football now.

“It’s great that Cork City have had a good start. Momentum is vital in sport, confidence, backing behind the manager. I saw Cork City play last season, some good stuff. But I don’t get bogged down in terms of getting people like [Dave] Meyler involved. If they’re doing well for the clubs, they’ll have a chance. But, would I like to see more Cork fellas in the Irish squad... probably. If I could, I’d get some lads from Mayfield involved!”

There’s time to smile now but Keane knows the pressure will ratchet up come autumn when the opening phase of the Euro qualifiers will see Ireland face Georgia, Germany and Scotland, all away, with Gibraltar the only competitive game in Dublin this year.

“Yeah, it’s going to be tough, but that’s the name of the game,” Keane acknowledged. “It’s tough at any level. The draw could have been kinder to us but, hey, what do you do, cry about it? We just have to get on with it. The way the games panned out, three of the first games are away, it’s going to be difficult. But I’m looking forward to it. I’m looking forward to the challenge.

“I think what we will have, like all Irish teams I’ve seen or been involved in, they always have a go. They always have a go, despite the criticism. First impressions of the group if we are going to get beaten, then teams will have to be very strong to beat us.”

© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/expect-irish-evolution-not-revolution-says-keane-263529.html

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesyIrishGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 2:13am

Keane’s mixed feelings for Blues boss Mourinho

Friday, March 28, 2014
By Liam Mackey 

It’s fair to say that Keano is somewhat conflicted about ‘The Special One’.

The guest of honour at the launch in UCC of Cork City’s new patronage scheme, Roy Keane was asked his opinion of Jose Mourinho — and his reply was the verbal equivalent of a game of two halves.

“His CV tells you he’s a top, top coach,” he began. “I don’t know, there are some managers that I would say I’d have loved to have played under. He’s probably not one of them who is top of my list.”

Pressed as to why, Ireland’s assistant manager went on: “I’m not sure, I’m not sure. He’s not top of my list. But I could be wrong.

“A lot of players who played under him speak very highly of him. His record is absolutely fantastic and when you watch him, particularly in the Champions League, his record is fantastic.

“And when you go back to [the question of] luck, he’s made the most of it, he’s built on that. That’s why you look at his current Chelsea team, a counterattacking team, a creative team, some good characters down the spine of the team. He knows how to win the big games.”

By now, it was becoming clear that Keane was having second thoughts about the Chelsea manager.

“When I say I wouldn’t like to play under him, I’m not being disrespectful,” he mused.

“He obviously plays the game a lot with the media...”

And then came the complete turnaround. “You know what? Maybe I would have enjoyed playing under him,” laughed Keane. “I’ve changed my mind.”

Keane also said that, while Chelsea — who face Paris Saint-Germain in the quarter-finals — would not be considered the favourites to win the Champions League, this year, he wouldn’t be writing them off.

“The strongest teams at the moment are Bayern, who are fantastic, while the Spanish league is pretty decent,” he said.

“I think the English clubs have slipped a little bit behind. PSG, in fairness, are also very good while Atletico Madrid are outstanding.

“But I would not be writing off Chelsea. Chelsea have the habit of winning the big matches and they have big characters.

“People have criticised John Terry over the years but I have watched them live many times and they win the big matches.”

© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/keanes-mixed-feelings-for-blues-boss-mourinho-263539.html

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic