You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish property market

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 51>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Irish property market
    Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 4:04pm
It's gone absolutely mad out there.
I am hoping to buy soon, so a few questions for any property gurus on here.
All houses in Dublin are going to bids. It's every area now from what I can see as opposed to the more affluent areas, which was the case last year.

- If I can get a property now (If I am highest bidder), should I jump at it?
- Is this just going to get worse? Even if they start building again, surely the cost of them new houses will be more expensive again.
- Areas on the outside of Dublin, or in commuter towns still have ok value. Is it worth looking at Lucan, Leixlip, Celbridge, Maynooth to buy?
- Will this bubble spread to aforementioned locations
- Could this bubble collapse again in a few years and bring the house prices right down again?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 4:14pm
The bubble could absolutely collapse. The big issue at the minute is supply side caused by the following:

1) The number of people in negative equity who cannot afford to sell their houses, even though they might need to, to get bigger or smaller houses etc;
2) The fact the banks are not lending to builders or developers to construct new properties in Dublin despite the fact they are necessary;
3) (following on from above) the fact that there is still little money to be made in developing: even with a free site, the cost of building a 50 apartment block would be similar to or more than the amount you could get from selling them at current prices;
4) The fact a number of banks are refusing to crystallise losses and repossess houses in negative equity, sell them, and write off the difference.

Also, a lot of the buyers out there are cash buyers. There are some demand side issues (banks being reluctant to give mortgages to people who can well afford them, banks not giving buy to let mortgages) that should, theoretically, have a depressing effect on the market but, frankly, the huge issue at the minute is still the tiny number of properties coming to the market. The question is whether that situation is likely to change: that is the great unknown. If Ulster Bank pulls out of the market (or, more likely, is sold) then, given the number of mortgages they have (they have always been more focused on mortgages than AIB and BOI), things could get interesting and it would probably have a downward effect. But could the bubble burst again? Yes, absolutely. The reason for the current bubble (and it is only a small one) is the tiny number of dwellings for sale. It's not market fundamentals (rising salaries, rising employment, profitability of building, cheap finance availability) that are contributing to the rise but short to medium term issues.

These are just my thoughts on the matter and I could be wrong (very wrong) but there is a very low level of transactions at the minute.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 11 Mar 2014 at 4:14pm
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 4:36pm
Cheers Dave

I suppose the best thing for me to do is keep an eye on houses I want and get one but not to panic buy
Interesting what you say about Ulster Bank. We are mortgage approved with them.

If they start building again, do you think the price od second hand dwellings will stabilise or come down?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 4:47pm
Well, that's the great unknown. I can't see prices falling that much further, but it's just a guess. I know they have risen a little bit over the last year and I think we have seen the bottom of the market. I wouldn't panic buy just yet, though. Second hand homes are unlikely to fall that much as owners in negative equity are unlikely to want to sell and, if they have jobs and are meeting repayments, are unlikely to be forced to either. That will harm supply of second hand homes until such time as prices rise a bit more and mortgages get paid down. It's just not economic for many people to sell at the minute, regardless of market fundamentals, which is causing the issue. If the banks were lending to people who can afford mortgages, prices would be only likely to go up, but for the time being, it seems the market is going to remain dysfunctional. It's really hard to know. It's odd to say it, but there are people who cannot afford to sell their homes and it is going to be like that for a while.

I mean, if building recommences, you'd imagine it would be because banks were lending to builders. And if they were lending to builders, you'd imagine they'd be lending to buyers too. And if that happened, you'd imagine demand and supply would both increase, returning some normality to the market (and making the data set bigger, making trends easier to establish properly). And if demand increased, so too would prices, assuming constant supply. But, of course, if prices rise, those currently unable to sell but who need to, might be able to, which would increase supply further, having a potentially levelling effect on prices..... it all depends on the banks, but at the minute, there isn't enough data to really know what is going on.

The other issue is their losses - if they start repossessing houses with distressed loans (there are loads of those) and selling those houses, they could greatly increase supply, which would drop prices further. As you can see, there is an obvious desire on their part not to do that unless they have to - which is why Ulster Bank's position in the market is so interesting. If RBS decide to wind it down, it will fock us up completely. If they can sell it, or if they decide to hold onto it, we might be okay. And with UK politics the way they are, they might not be too happy at having a UK taxpayer majority owned bank continuing to make massive losses in the Irish property market.... There are a lot of unknown variables out there, put it like that.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 11 Mar 2014 at 4:49pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 4:48pm
Looking to buy myself soon.

I'm buying to live in and not to sell, so once my mortgage repayments are less than what I can afford then I don't really care about the price rising/lowering.

But you're right, it is a bit nuts at the moment, lot of people haven't bought in a few years and there are now too many people bidding on too few houses. Anything in turn key condition is going for way over the value, anything that needs a bit of work is much more attainable.
houghton88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houghton88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 4:48pm
I dont know what a tracker mortgage is!!!
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 4:51pm
Gerk K.   Ronan Lyons is worth following on issues like this. Very good property economist.  

As Dave says the issue is the moment is good old fashioned supply and demand.  However the supply is so small that the demand does not have to be huge although there is pent up demand due to a huge number of years where nobody bought anything really knocking on 6 years now.  That is an awful lot of relationships formed families formed etc . 

My recommendation would be to find the place you want in the location you want to bring up your kids for the next 10 years and that you are happy to live in for the next 10 to 15 years.  When you find a place you like then go for it.  Do not buy for the sake of it, but also do not hold back on the hope that it will drop hugely again.  

Remember it dropped 50 per cent in many places after the crash and if there is a 10 per cent increase its of a hugely reduced figure so its in affect 5 per cent of the original peak value.  

Also I think the economy is going in a decent direction.  There is a desperate need for supply to the housing market.  It is hard to see when extensive building is going to happen again but I would say value is likely to stabilise  rather than a sudden drop again. 

The best value in the market is probably sales from old people dying and is being sold as part of a will. Plenty of work to be done to the house but you will get best value out of a house like that and it will be in a very settled area also.   Dave is right very little second hand stuff will be coming on the market from people upgrading though.  

Edited by Baldrick - 11 Mar 2014 at 4:55pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 4:54pm
Also, Dublin's population is continually growing, while there isn't a lot of land for nice new homes.
Whelo79 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whelo79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 5:00pm
What areas have you been looking in Ger?
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 5:18pm
Cheers lads

Whelo, anywhere in South Dublin

Have viewed houses in walkinstown, kimmage, knicklyon, firhouse, rathfarnham

Don't want to go to high. Want to live a lot and pay a mortgage
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 5:34pm
Lots of cash buyers (especially in London) looking to buy in Dublin as the rental yields are so good.
Around 8% whereas in London they are around 2%.

Outside of Dublin they have no interest.

Just saying like View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The truth is out there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just saying like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 5:39pm
http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/irish-house-prices-undervalued-by-13-says-commission-1.1714195

Irish house prices undervalued by 13%, says commission

Government needs to boost the supply of housing in Dublin

Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by ZinedineKibane ZinedineKibane wrote:

Lots of cash buyers (especially in London) looking to buy in Dublin as the rental yields are so good.

Speaking of dysfuntional property markets...
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 5:43pm

Ye heard the Chinese are also investing

Should there not be some law to stop them inflating the market?
Just saying like View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The truth is out there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just saying like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Should there not be some law to stop them inflating the market until GerK has his house and wants to sell again?

Fixed that question for you.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Should there not be some law to stop them inflating the market?

Pfft. We live in the free world. Ironically, that just makes things more expensive. But whatever. Once it is in the EU, there should be no capital controls (leaving aside the whole Cypriot banking thing).
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Looking to buy myself soon.

I'm buying to live in and not to sell, so once my mortgage repayments are less than what I can afford then I don't really care about the price rising/lowering.

But you're right, it is a bit nuts at the moment, lot of people haven't bought in a few years and there are now too many people bidding on too few houses. Anything in turn key condition is going for way over the value, anything that needs a bit of work is much more attainable.

Where you looking?
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 6:05pm

there is ways and means such as massive taxes on Investment properties but this impacts the rental market then.

also who are forced to be landlords due to circumstances may not like paying massive taxes on 2nd properties.

i would be of the view that the housing market is too important to society to be just a market and that there are mechanisms such as tax that government can do to prevent bubbles but they are not vote winning. People in general do not vote for sustainable policies.

would a teenager vote for installation of a lagging jacket in a house over the purchase of an x box.
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 51>
  Share Topic