You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish property market

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 51>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 7:47pm
Question for people here that own their own place?

What age were you when you bought it and did you buy by yourself or with your partner?

Wondering what the average age is of a ybig first time buyer.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

No, just disagree with your use of language. I would still hang everybody that works in banking or owns more than two properties.

Do you have a bank account? Serious question.
Yes, I would much rather not. Unfortunately, I couldn't get paid without, which is something that grates on me hugely.

I understand I'm responding to an old post, but I wrestled with this issue and eventually ended turning to my local credit union who, as well as the usual saving account, offer a pre-pay debit card with most of the features of a current account: the ability to set up standing orders, etc. It's designed for those on lower incomes and comes with no penalty charges and doesn't allow you to be able to fall into the red. It was the most ethical solution I could come up with, anyway.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

I don't dislike them, I despise them. They are lower than vermin.

So a married guy with 2 kids in his 40s that works for a bank in a mid level admin role, earning 45k, still has a studio he got starting out and had to buy a house when kids came along.

Should be hanged and is lower than vermin,
WOW   
Thank God, Allah and Buddha, your not in the judiciary
What is he doing with it? Using it to exploit people? Leave the imaginary friends out of it and thanks to the other poster for pointing out the grammar, though that isn't witty. I don't think he understands wit, but at least he gets grammar.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

This will help free up some rental spaces around the country

It may and it may not.

The entire AirBnB stock could potentially be sold on a once off basis and it totally leaves the rental market (short and long term). There is utility to short term lending and social benefits. I’m not opposing regulation, but this is up their with the cry for rent controls as a short term solution, which may not have any positive impact.
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

So a married guy with 2 kids in his 40s that works for a bank in a mid level admin role, earning 45k, still has a studio he got starting out and had to buy a house when kids came along.

WOW   

Prepare yourself for a witty "*you're" response.

for clarity, I dont have a 2nd property and dont work in a bank
Getting old and intolerant
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 11:47am

WOW   

Prepare yourself for a witty "*you're" response.
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 11:45am

WOW   
Getting old and intolerant
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 6:43pm
This will help free up some rental spaces around the country

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 1:37pm
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 1:37pm

No, just disagree with your use of language. I would still hang everybody that works in banking or owns more than two properties.

Yes, I would much rather not. Unfortunately, I couldn't get paid without, which is something that grates on me hugely.

Bertie Ahearne was Minister for Finance and didn't have a bank account. Don't give up on your dreams!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 1:21pm

Fair enough!

But I’m still not sure you’re disagreeing with me, notwithstaning your dislike of bankers and landlords.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 1:17pm

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 1:16pm

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 1:13pm

I take it that means you both agree with my approach!

Great, we’re on the way to solving the problem!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Dublin to Dundalk is around 72km

London to Croydon is 14km

Misleading you can get from east Croydon station to Victoria in 20 mins (sometimes on a rammed train ) but you still have to get from Victoria to your place of work which could be a further hour 

Edited by Newryrep - 19 Aug 2018 at 1:04pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 12:42pm
I take it that means you both agree with my approach!

Great, we’re on the way to solving the problem!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 12:36pm
LOL
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

A mature discussion about the housing market would help. To me, that would be the starting point. Flipper has hit on a number of points, which includes building up. For some reason, as a nation we have been weirdly averse to that, even thought what would produce significantly greater housing stock around the IFSC. The government could also kick in with a sensible and sustainable social housing plan, and could use a number of other European Countries as a blueprint. There would also need to be incentive schemes on new builds like they have had in the UK, which would encourage the purchase of homes, for first time buyers, through encouraging savings with the view to home ownership.

It will be up to political will. Accepting the need for social housing, dropping a belt and braces objection to “builders and bankers”, and appreciating the need for Ireland to move with modern thinking will all help. 

At the moment, all we seem to have is a ham fisted view of what social housing will entail, and a belief in rent control, which would exacerbate the crisis

You want to talk maturely about the housing crisis yet you quote a talking dolphin.
Also, 'belt and braces' is one irritating expression. It sounds like something Richard Littlejohn would come out with.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 11:09am

A mature discussion about the housing market would help. To me, that would be the starting point. Flipper has hit on a number of points, which includes building up. For some reason, as a nation we have been weirdly averse to that, even thought what would produce significantly greater housing stock around the IFSC. The government could also kick in with a sensible and sustainable social housing plan, and could use a number of other European Countries as a blueprint. There would also need to be incentive schemes on new builds like they have had in the UK, which would encourage the purchase of homes, for first time buyers, through encouraging savings with the view to home ownership.

It will be up to political will. Accepting the need for social housing, dropping a belt and braces objection to “builders and bankers”, and appreciating the need for Ireland to move with modern thinking will all help. 

At the moment, all we seem to have is a ham fisted view of what social housing will entail, and a belief in rent control, which would exacerbate the crisis

You want to talk maturely about the housing crisis yet you quote a talking dolphin.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 51>
  Share Topic