You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

brian o'driscoll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 12:08pm
Off the point a bit but I would never have consider Roy to be particularly talented (as in naturally gifted) he was all about hard work, intelligence and a strong mentality but he was ina league of his own for these traits. I'd say Robbie was more talented than Roy but Roy had a longer abd more successfuk career at the top that Robbie could only dream of.

BOD trumps them all I think, if he was an all black he would have been a world cup winning captain and been a god to them
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

Off the point a bit but I would never have consider Roy to be particularly talented (as in naturally gifted) he was all about hard work, intelligence and a strong mentality but he was ina league of his own for these traits. I'd say Robbie was more talented than Roy but Roy had a longer abd more successfuk career at the top that Robbie could only dream of.

BOD trumps them all I think, if he was an all black he would have been a world cup winning captain and been a god to them

I disagree, both are completely different players and both were armoured with different traits, Roy was world class, Robbie wasn't simly as.

Roy would have gotten into more or less any international side in the world at his peak so it works both ways.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 12:40pm

I'd agree with this. Robbie was naturally a better footballer than Keane (technique wise).

Edited by seanyshuffler - 08 Mar 2014 at 12:49pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 12:40pm
O'Driscoll deserves to be considered as one of our all time greats and no doubt about it. There are very very few Irish sportspeople who have stayed at the top of their game for even half the time he has, never mind allowing for the physical nature/attrition rate of rugby, nor the fact that he has completely adapted his game in that time to not only survive at that level, but excel in nearly every game. 

There is no point in comparing him to football players, nor deriding rugby (which is a pity, because I'm fond of doing that), the fact is rugby was this fellas chosen sport, and he excelled at it for what will come to be seen as a ridiculous amount of time in modern era rugby.  Best of luck to him in his retirement anyway, and thanks for representing the country with class & dignity during his career. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Stillhuntinghenry View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I disagree, both are completely different players and both were armoured with different traits, Roy was world class, Robbie wasn't simly as.

Roy would have gotten into more or less any international side in the world at his peak so it works both ways.

I'm talking about naturally gifted GD, Roy was more nurture than nature, Robbie Keane at 17 was a phenomenon. Not taking snythjg away from Roy as you said he was world class but he got there with a bit of talent and a huge amount of hard,work and determination. If you put the 2 Keane's together you have a £50m player
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Robbie is not world class but his goal scoring record is world class.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 1:12pm
Some people cant put their dislike of rugby to one side, perhaps BOD gets more respect from england than his own country, strange indeed
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 1:14pm
Would they each have gotten into the best teams in the world at their peak? If O'Driscoll was Kiwi, he'd have been a world cup winning captain. If Roy Keane had been French ('98) or Brazilian ('94 or '02), he'd have been a world cup winning captain. If Robbie Keane had been Brazilian ('02), Italian ('06) or Spanish ('10), he wouldn't have been in the squad. That's not to denigrate his acheivements (if anything, it makes his goalscoring achievements all the more impressive) but, in terms of being world class, he never was. He has a world class scoring record at international level, yes, but at club level, he never made it.

Then again, if he'd been at United, given Fergie's dislike of international football, perhaps we'd never have seen the best of him in green.

But going back to the original point, yeay Drico! Like Robbie, we'll miss him when he's gone.
Northerner View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northerner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 1:22pm
BOD, a genuine world class player.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by packiesglove packiesglove wrote:

Some people cant put their dislike of rugby to one side, perhaps BOD gets more respect from england than his own country, strange indeed
Yeah fookin right. He's the darling of the media in Ireland and the general public like him more than any irish footballer I can think of.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 1:58pm
Frankie, did you read any of the posts on this thread. Some people on here don't think he's that special. I'm no rugby expert but many in the game feel he's as good as any in a generation
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 2:00pm
What a legend
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 2:05pm

Frankie, did you read any of the posts on this thread. Some people on here don't think he's that special. I'm no rugby expert but many in the game feel he's as good as any in a generation
I know but they're only a handful of rugby haters on an Internet forum. I don't like rugby myself but I know how god a player and sportsman O'Driscoll is. I'm not going to say he's our best ever sportsperson but he's up there with the best.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 2:14pm

In fairness anyone that thinks that is a moron and their opinion on absolutely everything should be disregarded 
@AntrimMan85
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 2:23pm
Our greatest ever citizen.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 4:05pm
Passing master class today from BOD
Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 4:30pm
Outstanding athlete and a great person off the field as well
kopkid View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kopkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 4:35pm
Spine tingling reception at the end
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic