Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soccer Republic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 39>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 12:21am
There`s something not quite right about SR this season. There`s a sameness there based on a MOTD formula, with a presenter and his two panellists. I had hoped RTE could be more inventive/creative and given us a more exciting highlights package.

The set design and intensely bright lighting are offside for starters. Collins and his panellists look distracted by the intense light, blinking between their comments, while their mugs look washed out. Would a darker studio with subdued lighting not work better, where the 3 men are seen viewing match highlights in a cinema-type environment? They`d certainly be a lot more relaxed and not be distracted by the intense lighting.  
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz
Sponsored Links

Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Keith Fahey's personality is a joy to behold.  

Agreed.
I particularly enjoy the scumbag shuffle that he pulls off so well.

It's getting to the point I'm thinking a well run YouTube channel would give better value.

It's laughable how unprofessional RTE take this show.

Fahey's demeanor, body language and his thick Dublin accent make for great television Dead

I nearly had to put on subtitles. 

Fahey is horrific. At one stage this season he had to tell the presenter to move on as he wasn't able to finish off the point he started. At least Dave Barry will start ranting on about something totally unrelated when that happens to him.
1980 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 10:53am
Finally back available outside of Ireland, but sounds like im not missing much.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 1:57pm
They talked about the Galway/Cork game being one of the best of the season so far and then proceeding to show the goals with no replays and very little else
bananarepublic View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananarepublic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 2:00pm
They need to kill off that song for ireland crap. Shocking stuff.

They were on to something with the Euro highlights down through the years but what feckin' relevance has karel poborsky's chip in '96 to anything?...they could do a few minutes highlights each week of each tournament with a few goals and clip of the final etc. Thought it ended up looking amateuerish in the end.

There isn't much in the programme that will make the casual observer keep coming back. That and the lateness of the hour too.
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 2:40pm
Absolutely dreadful programme and only getting worse. I feel bad for constantly moaning about it but it's the worst show that I watch every week. They can't honestly think that it's produced well. I know there has to be a certain amount of content outside the LOI but the extra segments they do are sh*te. 

Been mentioned already but replays for the goals and big moments are a must. It's like watching the highlights on fast forward. I always liked Fahey but he's just not cut out for punditry at all. Would like to see Sadlier, Cunningham, Kerr, Duff and Cawley rotated. Actually thought Dave Barry was ok last night but that might be because Fahey is so bad.

They could use a part of the show to interview a player from each team. Just a one minute job to get a bit of insight into him and/or his club. Quick fire questions like best/worst trainer,best manager,favourite goal,favourite away day all that sh*te. Even a 'Best 11' they have played with. Different club each week.

Pain in my hole watching it at this stage but it's the only highlights package we have.
Theres only one sport that matters..
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 2:44pm
Find it hard to watch the full show. watch it in patches most weeks
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

Absolutely dreadful programme and only getting worse. I feel bad for constantly moaning about it but it's the worst show that I watch every week. They can't honestly think that it's produced well. I know there has to be a certain amount of content outside the LOI but the extra segments they do are sh*te. 

Been mentioned already but replays for the goals and big moments are a must. It's like watching the highlights on fast forward. I always liked Fahey but he's just not cut out for punditry at all. Would like to see Sadlier, Cunningham, Kerr, Duff and Cawley rotated. Actually thought Dave Barry was ok last night but that might be because Fahey is so bad.

They could use a part of the show to interview a player from each team. Just a one minute job to get a bit of insight into him and/or his club. Quick fire questions like best/worst trainer,best manager,favourite goal,favourite away day all that sh*te. Even a 'Best 11' they have played with. Different club each week.

Pain in my hole watching it at this stage but it's the only highlights package we have.
That used to be done and it just wasted time...Less punditry needed I feel. Istead of doing Euros moments they should do LOI moments...Apart from last night when they showed Stephen Elliott they seem to focus on something not related to Irish football which annoys me
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

They talked about the Galway/Cork game being one of the best of the season so far and then proceeding to show the goals with no replays and very little else

It seems they have so few cameras at games that replays from different angles are not possible. 
Some of the camera work and editing last night was poorer than usual though.

Peter Collins remains a problem. He tries to be a circus ringleader. Tony O'Donoghue would be much better, he stood in really well for Con Whatshisname a few times before.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 3:50pm
I doubt Tony O'Donoghue want it/is able to commit to a full time gig. Particularly with a busy summer ahead for him.

They have started putting camera behind the goals which gives a good shot.

I've lost all hope in it now. They had ample material last night and made a balls of it.
There was some cracking goals in the Dublin Derby and controversy and then they had what looked a very entertaining Cork v Galway game.
Alan cawley was a disaster building up the Dublin Derby.

It's just being put on to fulfil a contractual obligation and nothing more.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 4:22pm
Anyone but Peter f**king Collins. There is more life in Billo now.
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 1:53pm
I think the show should change to a highlights only programme.

Have no presenter or panel. Just use a voice-over to introduce the show and tell you what is coming up, and how things are going in the league.

Then have highlights with a commentator describing the action, with no hint of pretence that they actually covered the game live. Finish up with the league table and results from the First Division.

Cut the running time to twenty-five minutes or less, with no ad breaks if possible. And have a repeat during the week at an earlier hour, so younger viewers can get to see it.
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 12:11am
Lads, SR is a work in progress and you can be quite sure that your comments are being keenly taken on board by the production crew.

Personally I think the studio set-up is too stiff and formal and drenched in severe lighting. What about a more informal setting, where the anchor, Collins, and his panellists are lounging about on sofas under subdued lighting? They`re seen watching a large screen in the corner of a sittingroom and make brief comments at the end of each clip of match highlights?

As it stands, SR is little more than a poor man`s version of MOTD, without the multi-camera angles. The editing should focus on the more populated areas of the ground and give the casual viewer a sense that maybe a domestic game might be worth checking out. When the cameraman`s lens lingers on rows of empty seats at Longford, say, what message is that sending out to the curious viewer?  
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 5:34am
All I want to watch is the goals. I said this before but could they not just throw SR up on RTE Player along with a goals package. It's video editing 101 for the transition year work placement. Just snip out the chat and upload a second version.
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

Lads, SR is a work in progress and you can be quite sure that your comments are being keenly taken on board by the production crew.

Personally I think the studio set-up is too stiff and formal and drenched in severe lighting. What about a more informal setting, where the anchor, Collins, and his panellists are lounging about on sofas under subdued lighting? They`re seen watching a large screen in the corner of a sittingroom and make brief comments at the end of each clip of match highlights?

As it stands, SR is little more than a poor man`s version of MOTD, without the multi-camera angles. The editing should focus on the more populated areas of the ground and give the casual viewer a sense that maybe a domestic game might be worth checking out. When the cameraman`s lens lingers on rows of empty seats at Longford, say, what message is that sending out to the curious viewer?  

Do the panellists get to see more of the games, or do they just see the highlights that we do?

You're right that the show could be more relaxed, but if the panellists are limited to, "that was a nice goal", or "the ref got it wrong there" then what's the point really?

Having a panel for a live game is a must, but I'm not sure that one is needed for Soccer Republic. 
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 1:14am
Good point "Terzino", do we even need panellists and Collins for what is essentially a highlights package? Personally I like to hear the views of knowledgeable LOI people who have been around the block in domestic football, if only because their opinions and analysis helps to better inform me about our league, in between clips. 

I`ve been roasted on here in the past for championing Collins and some of the pundits but I really don`t care. I think Collins has grown into his role as a good anchor and the likes of Alan Cawley, Dave Barry and Tony Mc Donnell are upfront and honest. Fook the begrudgers... 
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 2:37pm
They should make better use of those guys.

Instead of the analysis stuff, have them do ten/ fifteen minute slots about football across the country. Club profiles involving Premier, First Divison, provincial clubs and famous school boy clubs. Meet the people behind the scenes, e.g. owners, fans etc.

Derby game profiles. Cawley did something like this for the Bohs v Rovers game. Less animalistic talk though. A bit more about players to watch, the history, famous games, goals etc.

Keeping up with players who've moved abroad. Not just phoning them but going over to see how players like Forrester and Towell etc are getting on.

As well as that you can profile League of Ireland in Europe, Cup Finals, up coming Ireland games, great Irish performances from the past. Legends or forgotten players. League of Ireland players who wore the green shirt. FAI's plans to do with player development etc.

And you can keep it relevant to what may be happening in the league. Someone scores an overhead, so that might prompt a bit about the history of this skill, and what are the greatest goals scored by League of Ireland teams.

Edited by Terzino - 25 Apr 2016 at 2:39pm
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 12:24am
I`d agree with a lot of that "Terzino" and I hope the SR production crew take your points on board. You`ve a huge amount of content or angles covered there and it could be quite challenging to fit it all in within the 50 minute slot, if you exclude ad breaks?

Actually I thought last night`s show was one of the best yet. Collins looked relaxed and moved the show along at the right pace. Croly and Cawley were cheerful and laid back and the overall vibe in the studio came across well. Plus, the analysis wasn`t half bad either.

I`ve no idea of the budget that SR is working with. I`d imagine it`s tiny compared to MOTD or Sky or BT. But even a regular Skype interview with former LOI players across the water like Forrester, Towell, Gaffney, Stevens, Doyle etc would be interesting. Also, some great archive footage of the past involving LOI clubs, showing stuffed-out grounds, (when Irish football fans supported their own league), might remind viewers of a vanished era.      

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 39>
  Share Topic