Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soccer Republic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 39>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Ya watching cummings sending off for cork, did he even connect? Hard to see on tv. Didnt even look a free kick on tv. Never a red.

They showed a terrible angle on the replay on SR. It happened in front of me and he made clear contact with Toner who had a large lump on his cheekbone. Considering the way Cummins swung the elbow, it was a red all day.
fair enough if u seen it up close but if defo didnt look like he went to elbow him. Didnt look intentional.
Sponsored Links

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 12:02am
Meant to post this earlier, but why the fcuk is this show on at 7pm on a Monday night, when a few thousand of the potential audience are physically at LOI games ? I know people can record the show, but surely it would make more sense to have it on Tuesday night, then they could show the goals from the Monday games as well, and it would be up to date with the current league standings etc. 

It's something of a niche show, I think the audience it's mainly aimed at would be as happy to watch it Tuesday as Monday. Ya wouldn't get the rugby against the head yoke or whatever tis called on at the same time as even an U20 international, never mind a senior one, it's a bizarre way to operate. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 1:08pm
Dan McDonnell and others have been critical of the scheduling of the show.

Some of the "commentary" on the highlights are awful too.

Edited by The Huntacha - 19 Mar 2018 at 1:09pm
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Siobhan Madigan is up there with the worst "commentators" I have ever heard in any sport, she has zero flair for it and just about every game she "commentates" on goes at the same pace, truly awful.

I'm not just saying this, but I'd be pretty confident any regular Joe Soap off YBIG or a person who has a big interest in soccer would do fine commentating on these little 2 and 3 minute highlight reels. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 8:48pm
I think the problem with some of the commentary is that it's inserted in the editing process. The commentators are not actually at the game, but make it try to sound like they're talking live.
Well, at least that's what it sounds like.

As for the scheduling, there were plenty of complaints that it was on at 11pm in previous years, and there are not many Monday evening matches throughout the season to clash with it.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Siobhan Madigan is up there with the worst "commentators" I have ever heard in any sport, she has zero flair for it and just about every game she "commentates" on goes at the same pace, truly awful.

I'm not just saying this, but I'd be pretty confident any regular Joe Soap off YBIG or a person who has a big interest in soccer would do fine commentating on these little 2 and 3 minute highlight reels. 

Her commentary sounds horrendous. They'd be better off just doing what RTE do for highlights during the early rounds of the Champions League.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 2:10pm
Only catching up on the last couple of programmes.  Rovers score 6 against Derry, brilliant, but what was the point in inserting Siobhan Madigan's "commentary", it as absolutely brutal and my ears were bleeding listening to it.   None of those inserted commentaries are ever any use anyhow, just have someone narrating the action and stop trying to be clever.  Utter pig sh*t.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Only catching up on the last couple of programmes.  Rovers score 6 against Derry, brilliant, but what was the point in inserting Siobhan Madigan's "commentary", it as absolutely brutal and my ears were bleeding listening to it.   None of those inserted commentaries are ever any use anyhow, just have someone narrating the action and stop trying to be clever.  Utter pig sh*t.

I used to love listening to Archie McPherson muddling his way through every league in Europe's goal action on Eurosport back in the late 80's/early 90's. 

The result would first appear on the screen with the goal scorers listed before each set of highlights and poor aul Archie only got the same info that we did, which was that Utrecht had beaten Go Ahead Eagles 8-0. 

So he would be watching Jann Van Bangsalot clean through on goal and looking confident so Archie would make the natural assumption in this instance and state

"And Van Bangsalot races through to fire home number 5 for Utrecht...." as the erstwhile hero trips over himself and the ball runs safely into the keepers arms. Meanwhile Archie just wants them to get on with the highlights and show a goal quickly so he can cover himself but sure the next clip would be of a yellow card incident and nothing to do with what he had just commented on. 

It was like they didn't have the budget or the inclination to reshoot or edit out of the mistakes. Probably because they knew that there was only one dopey kid sitting in front of the tele in Dublin who was paying any attention at all
El Puto Amo
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 2:53pm
Archie was superb! Always knowledgeable, entertaining and never, ever irritating.

UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

I used to love listening to Archie McPherson muddling his way through every league in Europe's goal action on Eurosport back in the late 80's/early 90's. 

The result would first appear on the screen with the goal scorers listed before each set of highlights and poor aul Archie only got the same info that we did, which was that Utrecht had beaten Go Ahead Eagles 8-0. 

So he would be watching Jann Van Bangsalot clean through on goal and looking confident so Archie would make the natural assumption in this instance and state

"And Van Bangsalot races through to fire home number 5 for Utrecht...." as the erstwhile hero trips over himself and the ball runs safely into the keepers arms. Meanwhile Archie just wants them to get on with the highlights and show a goal quickly so he can cover himself but sure the next clip would be of a yellow card incident and nothing to do with what he had just commented on. 

It was like they didn't have the budget or the inclination to reshoot or edit out of the mistakes. Probably because they knew that there was only one dopey kid sitting in front of the tele in Dublin who was paying any attention at all

@MC Hammered, I too valued the spread of club football that Europort showed. I saw Romario's innocuous injury for PSV when chasing a loose ball he ran through the keepers outstretched legs and kept him out of 1990 World Cup.

I presumed Eurosport broadcast in a few different languages and the same challenges faced all the other language commentators.

www.ucdsupporters.ie
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 4:15pm
Archie on Eurosport back in the early 90s:

"It's a balmy night here in Lisbon..." as he's stuck freezing his ass off in a windowless studio, commentating off a 20'x20' monitor, somewhere in an industrial estate near Heathrow.LOL

Edited by Daragho - 21 Mar 2018 at 4:16pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 8:31pm
Just watched Monday night's episode, proper highlight commentary Clap

Maria Crowe isn't bad to look at either.

They don't leave the episodes up on the RTE player for long though Thumbs Down
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 11:44am
I worked with Marie Crowe. Very nice person. Played for St.Pats Women's team a few years back, so she knows the grassroots. Thumbs Up
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 12:11pm

In the interview with the Derry chairman, it looked like he kept gawking at her t1ts LOL

deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 3:22pm

In the interview with the Derry chairman, it looked like he kept gawking at her t1ts LOL

Interviewd me before the Wales game. To be fair she is gorgeous should be more of her on the box
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by deco911 deco911 wrote:

Interviewd me before the Wales game. To be fair she is gorgeous should be more of her on the box

Was that at the fans game ??
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 3:26pm

Interviewd me before the Wales game. To be fair she is gorgeous should be more of her and her box

Fixed there Deccy boy. Heart
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Was that at the fans game ??

Yup she interviewed you too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 39>
  Share Topic