You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gib Away- March 23 - Travel & Accomm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123124125 222>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Sham source (FAI Source) tells me that supposedly the Swiss have been most vocal in opposing games going ahead in Gibralter and its highly likely it will be moved. Mini Tans are fighting tooth and nail to keep in on the pebble but barring a miracle of sorts it will be off to the Algarve.

I'll be happy with either but accommodation is a hell of alot cheaper in the Algarve. I've got 5 nights in albuferia on free cancellation for €150. 
Can't see flights jumping in price that much either given most already have something booked be it to Malaga or faro already 
if it is in Faro, ill be staying in Faro (have a free cancellation booked) as im only doing two nights. Had enough of Albufeira the last time. Bit of a kip. 

Either way, hopefully find out tomorrow anyway. 

Have heard a few people.say that and others say it's a nice place. I've the same amount of nights in gib or Algarve. Making a week away of it after paddys weekend. 
Albufeira is a grand spot 
Sponsored Links

Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 3:46pm
To save me trying to find it amongst all these pages, is there a rule that Gibraltar have to play all their games at the same venue? 

What makes the Swiss so important in all of this if the teams don't want it in Faro?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 4:03pm
Because the Swiss be like "There are rules. We must follow ze rules. Why are we having ze rules if we are not following them?"
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Because the Swiss be like "There are rules. We must follow ze rules. Why are we having ze rules if we are not following them?"

Read that in the voice of Tony from Die Hard LOL

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Swanny View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 4:30pm
Will most stay in albufeira ???
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 4:43pm
rules are there to be broken - we are Irish ffs not Swiss SmileSmile
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 4:58pm
If it's switched to Faro then flights will be an issue. Accommodation won't. Tickets won't be either, but then how many fans realistically want to go to Faro in March. I.m sure too a lot of hotels,airbnb,hostels have been closed during winter months, and would welcome a gang from Ireland.

Other issues in playing in Faro will of course be consent from the local council etc. The stadium is not used for football in the winter I.m nearly sure of that. SD. can verify that. Maybe that's what's delaying the announcement. We'll see in the next few days. 
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

If it's switched to Faro then flights will be an issue. Accommodation won't. Tickets won't be either, but then how many fans realistically want to go to Faro in March. I.m sure too a lot of hotels,airbnb,hostels have been closed during winter months, and would welcome a gang from Ireland.

Other issues in playing in Faro will of course be consent from the local council etc. The stadium is not used for football in the winter I.m nearly sure of that. SD. can verify that. Maybe that's what's delaying the announcement. We'll see in the next few days. 
Don't think flights will be an issue. Lots booked faro when it was announced and others booked Malaga etc. They won't rebook flights they'll just drive as it'll be cheaper than booking new flights 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 5:18pm
Had a look on hotels.com the other day to book a room in Albufeira (i booked in Faro also). Its only one site, but the number of hotels/apt complexes available was fairly low. Now obviously there will still be enough for whatever ampunt of lads that stay here but it would give some indication that the place will be dead.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 5:23pm

Had a look on hotels.com the other day to book a room in Albufeira (i booked in Faro also). Its only one site, but the number of hotels/apt complexes available was fairly low. Now obviously there will still be enough for whatever ampunt of lads that stay here but it would give some indication that the place will be dead.
That's odd because on booking.com there's plenty available, all of the main hotels and apartments look to be open. Albeit available for next to nothing but plenty places taking bookings. Like you said it's only 1 site 
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 5:27pm
Lots booked Faro and Malaga I agree. But with the possibility of the game being moved, it may entice more punters to go. That's all. Sham rightly pointed out that accommodation in albufera will be minimal to say the least. I know a few lads who are going to drive from marbella to Faro and back. Plenty if lads in gib and la Linea will drive to. Makes sense at this stage if it's switched. 
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 5:31pm

Lots booked Faro and Malaga I agree. But with the possibility of the game being moved, it may entice more punters to go. That's all. Sham rightly pointed out that accommodation in albufera will be minimal to say the least. I know a few lads who are going to drive from marbella to Faro and back. Plenty if lads in gib and la Linea will drive to. Makes sense at this stage if it's switched. 

Yeah your right about more going for sure, 2 months notice could put plenty off but it might add onto the numbers for sure. Yeah plenty will probably stay where they are and drive. 

I'm taking it as a week away with hopefully decent weather in either gib or the Algarve 
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 5:45pm

There is tonnes and tonnes of accommodation available in Albufeira on booking.com and for great value. A twin room in the Old town with a rooftop pool for two nights for €60 total - accommodation will not be an issue, the place is a tourist destination and it will be off peak.
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 5:53pm

Yeah your right about more going for sure, 2 months notice could put plenty off but it might add onto the numbers for sure. Yeah plenty will probably stay where they are and drive. 

I'm taking it as a week away with hopefully decent weather in either gib or the Algarve 

That's the plan for us too. A nice few days away. There are places on book in.com etc. Im Faro to get cheap accommodation. No probs. But there's a lot of places closed for the winter. Just make sure, that's all. Each one to their own when booking. 
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 5:58pm

That's the plan for us too. A nice few days away. There are places on book in.com etc. Im Faro to get cheap accommodation. No probs. But there's a lot of places closed for the winter. Just make sure, that's all. Each one to their own when booking. 

Yeah I know someone who has a holiday home out there they reckon everything will open up from the start of March onwards and the majority open from paddys weekend.

Sure we wait and see where it is first. 
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 6:12pm

Yeah I know someone who has a holiday home out there they reckon everything will open up from the start of March onwards and the majority open from paddys weekend.

Sure we wait and see where it is first. 

Cheltenham is on the week leading up to paddy's day. I.m sure there'll be places in gib.faro. and wherever the gang are staying open. Our most important issue is the venue. 
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

To save me trying to find it amongst all these pages, is there a rule that Gibraltar have to play all their games at the same venue? 

What makes the Swiss so important in all of this if the teams don't want it in Faro?

My understanding is that they must play all their home games in the same country.  Exceptions can be made for wars etc.    
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 11:11pm
Flights are booked for Faro but Gib is a new country. Don't care either way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123124125 222>
  Share Topic