You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gib Away- March 23 - Travel & Accomm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 119120121122123 222>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 8:42am
Originally posted by londondub londondub wrote:

Our club chairman has confirmed the Indo report following a combined supporters club meeting in Dublin yesterday.

I look forward to the FAI statement today keeping independent fans as updated as the supports clubs.
Does anybody know what time this FAI statement is being released at ?

Sponsored Links

londondub View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londondub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 8:44am
Early next week by looks of things !
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 9:17am
So it’s actually being moved despite nobody wanting it moved? LOLLOL
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 10:18am
Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

Our club chairman has confirmed the Indo report following a combined supporters club meeting in Dublin yesterday.

Confirmed what exactly? Day of announcement?

I'm confused too.  What was clarified?
wicklowrunner View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wicklowrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 10:22am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Hi Gary, CRISSC were informed that the venue for the game will be announced by Wednesday.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 10:38am
Originally posted by wicklowrunner wicklowrunner wrote:

Hi Gary, CRISSC were informed that the venue for the game will be announced by Wednesday.

Any word on when this information will be shared with independent fans ?

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 10:52am
There has been NO announcement of venue despite Londondub poorly worded post

the venue will be confirmed 'at the end of this week or early next week at the latest'
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 11:13am
Just imagine if the game was to be announced for Faro...at the same time that Declan Rice was to declare for England.

Is it possible that this forum could do what Kim Kardashian's arse couldn't quite do...and break the internet? LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 11:20am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Just imagine if the game was to be announced for Faro...at the same time that Declan Rice was to declare for England.

Is it possible that this forum could do what Kim Kardashian's arse couldn't quite do...and break the internet? LOL

Was it the JAck Grealish thread that broke this forum before?
Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 11:27am
Didn't this forum collapse the day the FAI allocation for Euro 16 began? 
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Lostandfound Lostandfound wrote:

Didn't this forum collapse the day the FAI allocation for Euro 16 began? 
Ah yes, I remember that as well...as the dejection on finding no pending charge on my credit card that day.  Cry  Thankfully, I got sorted afterwards.

That was just one event happening at a time though (as were the Yacht Club and Jack Grealish incidents mentioned above)...Nuke

Edited by ConorMac77 - 11 Jan 2019 at 11:34am
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by wicklowrunner wicklowrunner wrote:

cheers.  
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 1:38pm
Obviously like most on here hoping it is in Gibraltar.  With hindsight booking Seville would have been a smarter move.  I see some did that.  

I've decided to drive from Malaga if in Faro.  I couldn't justify the cost of new flights.  Thankfully my hotel was booked on free cancellation.  

The one positive if moved is that it will reduce the chances of a slip up.  I would expect Gibraltar to lose all eight games either way but their chances of pulling off a shock result are greatly reduced in Faro.     
I'd still love to know but at least won't need to scramble for flights etc on Wednesday.  
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 2:14pm

Obviously like most on here hoping it is in Gibraltar.  With hindsight booking Seville would have been a smarter move.  I see some did that.  

I've decided to drive from Malaga if in Faro.  I couldn't justify the cost of new flights.  Thankfully my hotel was booked on free cancellation.  

The one positive if moved is that it will reduce the chances of a slip up.  I would expect Gibraltar to lose all eight games either way but their chances of pulling off a shock result are greatly reduced in Faro.     
I'd still love to know but at least won't need to scramble for flights etc on Wednesday.  

Same as, will be sticking with the Malaga flights, don't see the need to try and re-book. I'm on the early Fri and late Sunday flights so a 4 hr trip each way will still leave plenty of time in Faro. It was always going to be 1.5 hrs to Gibraltar anyway
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 2:36pm

At least two of us will be doing the same if moved. What flight are you on, Gary? 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 2:57pm
If it is in Faro, we will be driving. It is too tough to justify the cost of new flights. The total cost of car hire, petrol, insurance and tolls per person should be well under €100. New flights will definitely be well in excess of that.

Plus a relative of the lad I'm going with has a place in Fuengirola. Our plan was always to stay there and drive to Gib and back on the matchday. If it is in Faro, I reckon we'll have to stay Saturday night in Faro rather than driving back. I think the plan will be to drive up about 10am, have a few beers pre-match, spend the night, then drive back to Fuengirola on Sunday. We're not flying back to Dublin til Monday, which is handy enough. If we were to book Faro, we would obviously have increased accommodation costs too, which makes a difference for us, but might not for others.

Just a word of warning for anyone who is driving: you need to register for the road tolls when you cross the border into Portugal from Spain, on the main motorway (A22 in Portugal). As you cross the border, there is a little booth to pull in at about 2km into Portugal (it is well signposted). Pull in there, and put your credit card into the machine. It automatically links the number plate of the car to the credit card, and deducts road tolls in Portugal from your credit card. The registration is valid for thirty days, however, so make sure you cancel it afterwards, once you have returned to Spain, to stop the next person who rents the car running up tolls at your expense. The tolls from the border to Faro are cheap enough (only a couple of euro). The machine will give you a ticket with your toll identifier; make sure you keep a record of that (maybe take a picture on your phone, in case you lose the receipt). Then, when you leave Portugal, just visit www.portugaltolls.com, and at the bottom of the main page, there is a place to cancel your account. All you will need is the registration of the car and the toll identifier. It is quite simple, really.

One other word of warning on car hire, especially from Malaga: a lot of the rental companies limit the number of km you are allowed to do, to 60km a day in some cases. It is an 800km round trip from Malaga to Faro, so make sure you account for that. There's no point going with some cheap car rental for a tenner a day for three days with only 60km a day allowed and 20c per extra kilometre (620km = €124 extra, €154 total), if you can get unlimited mileage for thirty euro a day (€90 total). The charge per extra km on those contracts tends to be quite steep. Also, a lot of the cheapest rental companies have absolutely shocking reviews on trustpilot. In particular, I've seen awful reviews for firefly, who basically rob you, and are impossible to get anything back from.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 11 Jan 2019 at 2:59pm
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

If it is in Faro, we will be driving. It is too tough to justify the cost of new flights. The total cost of car hire, petrol, insurance and tolls per person should be well under €100. New flights will definitely be well in excess of that.

Plus a relative of the lad I'm going with has a place in Fuengirola. Our plan was always to stay there and drive to Gib and back on the matchday. If it is in Faro, I reckon we'll have to stay Saturday night in Faro rather than driving back. I think the plan will be to drive up about 10am, have a few beers pre-match, spend the night, then drive back to Fuengirola on Sunday. We're not flying back to Dublin til Monday, which is handy enough. If we were to book Faro, we would obviously have increased accommodation costs too, which makes a difference for us, but might not for others.

Just a word of warning for anyone who is driving: you need to register for the road tolls when you cross the border into Portugal from Spain, on the main motorway (A22 in Portugal). As you cross the border, there is a little booth to pull in at about 2km into Portugal (it is well signposted). Pull in there, and put your credit card into the machine. It automatically links the number plate of the car to the credit card, and deducts road tolls in Portugal from your credit card. The registration is valid for thirty days, however, so make sure you cancel it afterwards, once you have returned to Spain, to stop the next person who rents the car running up tolls at your expense. The tolls from the border to Faro are cheap enough (only a couple of euro). The machine will give you a ticket with your toll identifier; make sure you keep a record of that (maybe take a picture on your phone, in case you lose the receipt). Then, when you leave Portugal, just visit www.portugaltolls.com, and at the bottom of the main page, there is a place to cancel your account. All you will need is the registration of the car and the toll identifier. It is quite simple, really.

One other word of warning on car hire, especially from Malaga: a lot of the rental companies limit the number of km you are allowed to do, to 60km a day in some cases. It is an 800km round trip from Malaga to Faro, so make sure you account for that. There's no point going with some cheap car rental for a tenner a day for three days with only 60km a day allowed and 20c per extra kilometre (620km = €124 extra, €154 total), if you can get unlimited mileage for thirty euro a day (€90 total). The charge per extra km on those contracts tends to be quite steep. Also, a lot of the cheapest rental companies have absolutely shocking reviews on trustpilot. In particular, I've seen awful reviews for firefly, who basically rob you, and are impossible to get anything back from.

Flights, trains and now toll roads in Portugal - what a hero!
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 11:59pm
If you're not arsed with all the faffing around that entails, however, go off at the first junction and take the old road to Faro. That might be handier, even if it does take half an hour longer.

I think you can even get away with staying on until junction 17, which is a couple of junctions down. The first toll point is between junctions 17 and 16. They are all electronic, based on number plate recognition, so you might not notice them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 119120121122123 222>
  Share Topic