You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Avaaz.org

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avaaz.org
    Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 9:52pm
I'm not sure where I signed up to the site, but I'd get a few emails a week and sign some petitions and what not. Donated €10 for some land towards securing an Oragutan enclosureBig smile

Just had a look at their website for the first time, 33 million subscribers. And surprisingly a lot of their campaigns do actually work. Loads of them here http://www.avaaz.org/en/highlights.php/?footer

I'm usually very sceptical of all that online petition sh*t, but it seems there is power in numbers.

In one day they got enough pledges to buy the first plot of land for the oragutansCool
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 10:02pm
They have petitions for all sorts of stuff. Saw that one alright but they have new stuff every other week.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 10:10pm
Yeah most of them I wouldn't open, but some catch your eye and it takes a minute to sign. They get results so all power to them
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 10:15pm

Stop the Elephant slaughter

MARCH 2013

Across Africa, elephants are being slaughtered by poachers in record numbers -- their tusks hacked off with chainsaws -- to make luxury items and trinkets in Asia. In response to that horrifying reality, nearly 1.4 million Avaazers and WWF supporters joined Leonardo DiCaprio in a call to the Thai prime minister to end her country’s unregulated ivory market -- the largest in the world. Thousands sent her emails and left so many comments on her Facebook page that it was temporarily shut down. The combined pressure forced her to listen -- pledging to end the unregulated trade. A source in the Thai government said the announcement was a direct result of our campaigns.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 8:42pm
some of the good work they have been involved in 

Dear friends, 

From the chaos, something beautiful is emerging -- people's movements are destroying the darkest dreams of the far-right and carving out a new and exciting path forward for all of us. 

Our amazing movement has been in the middle of this global battle… and winning! 

We are turning the tide on Brexit

Britain's election decimated conservative Theresa May and her Brexit plans, even opening up a return to a unified Europe -- thanks in part to a massive tactical voting and youth turnout campaign that won in 90% of the districts we took on! 

"Avaaz members across Britain played a powerful role in helping to reshape our politics from the ground up." 
-- Frances Foley, Progressive Alliance

We helped halt the far-right in France

Outsider Macron blew open France, sweeping to the presidency on a platform of tolerance and hope, winning an historic majority in Parliament and keeping the far-right Le Pen at a measly 8 seats (out of 577!). Our viral election video had millions of views, and our major get out the vote effort against Le Pen reached more people than most major parties! 

We have Monsanto on the back foot in Europe

Over a million people added their name to an official call to ban Monsanto’s best-selling poison glyphosate, triggering a debate and response from Europe's Parliament and potentially derailing a plan to allow this chemical to cover our food -- and our movement supercharged the campaign's record breaking growth! 

And that's just in the last month! There's so much more we've achieved together in the face of the most divisive, anti-democratic, far-right forces everywhere: 

We protected Bedouin homes from settlers

A small Bedouin community facing annihilation at the hands of Israel's soldiers delayed demolition of their community and created a beautiful symbol of resistance, with a giant stone sign reading "We shall remain" right across from a settlement -- and our staff and members were key to the action and mobilizing international media attention that protected their homes!

Heading about pope mountain

We helped defeat hate in the Netherlands

A racist, Trump-style politician poised to take over the Netherlands, suffered a crushing loss in the election -- thanks in part to a massive march for unity in Amsterdam and our viral election advertising linking him to Trump!

Heading about dutch election

We’re taking Trump to court for climate crimes

When Trump pulled out of the Paris climate agreement, our community raised money for a group of awesome kids to sue the President for putting their future at risk. This groundbreaking legal case could force the US to act against climate change!

Heading about Trump

It’s all a stunning reminder that in humanity’s darkest moments, the brightest lights can flicker into life. Over 50 years ago this week, three civil rights leaders were abducted and murdered by the far-right KKK in the US. Hatred was rising and gaining power. But a powerful movement rose to meet it, and in the following four years, two different Civil Rights Acts were passed, paving the way towards a more equal future for everyone. 

These are the stories of history that inspire me in dark times -- moments when people fought hard in the face of apparently insurmountable odds, and won, giving generations to come shining examples of the transformations that people power can bring into the world. 

Let’s keep fighting and writing this new story of hope, together. 

With respect and admiration, 

Bert, Luis, Emma, Luca, Fatima, Julie, Mike and the whole team at Avaaz 

P.S. If you are new to Avaaz, or just want to look back at what this amazing movement has achieved before this year, check out our highlights page
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 11:53am
Big one today. I'd urge anyone to sign this petition. Monsanto are one of the scummiest companies on the planet. 

Monsanto's weed-killing poison glyphosate just got a green light in the first stages of Europe’s review -- but if enough of us add our names to an urgent, official EU Citizens' Initiative, we could kick glyphosate to the curb! Add your name: 
JOIN NOW
Dear friends,

Monsanto's weed-killing poison glyphosate just got a scary green light in a first review by Europe -- but an urgent, official "Citizens' Initiative" could make sure the EU kicks glyphosate to the curb for good!

Without us, Europe could hand Monsanto’s cash cow a brand new license for another 10 years.

The official European Citizen’s Initiative legally requires a reaction from the EU Commission when we hit 1 million signers. And because it’s a bit of an annoying form to fill out, getting to one million has a huge impact with lawmakers. Partners are already over half the way there -- let’s meet the goal in days! 

Yes I'm in! Add my name to ban Monsanto's glyphosate now!

This scary weed killer is sprayed EVERYWHERE -- all over our fields, playgrounds, and parks. And there is no definitive science that says it is safe.

Last year, over 2 million of us came together to stop Monsanto and other big chemical giants from contaminating our food and our planet with this poison for another 15 years -- and WE WON! Instead of a new license, the EU only granted a short extension but the fight is back on and our voices are needed now more than ever

The existing scientific evidence clearly supports our call for a precautionary ban, and we can’t let the Commission look the other way. A European Citizens’ Initiative isn’t just a petition -- it’s a powerful official democratic tool that places agenda-setting in the hands of citizens.

Together, let’s get this call over the million mark and throw a spanner in the works for Monsanto and Co before it’s too late. Join now

Yes I'm in! Add my name to ban Monsanto's glyphosate now!

We’ve already helped make the impossible possible, with the biggest global petition against glyphosate ever and massive targeted public pressure on many EU countries, but this is far from over. Let’s make this citizens initiative the fastest ever to reach a million and score a big win for food safety and sustainable agriculture!

With hope and determination, 

Pascal, Lisa, Nick, Daniel, Camille, Alice and the entire Avaaz team

MORE INFORMATION:

"Glyphosate and cancer: Buying science” shows how Monsanto rigged the science to keep glyphosate on the market: 
https://www.global2000.at/sites/global/files/Glyphosate_and_cancer_Buying_science_EN_0.pdf

Read more about Avaaz’ role in the fight against glyphosate:
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/nothing_we_cant_do

Glyphosate 'will destroy the whole ecosystem' (Deutsche Welle)
http://www.dw.com/en/glyphosate-will-destroy-the-whole-ecosystem/a-37968836 

EU experts accused of conflict of interest over herbicide linked to cancer (The Independent)
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/glyphosate-roundup-weedkiller-cancer-bees-farming-greenpeace-echa-european-chemicals-agency-a7614736.html

Doubts over EU chemical agency after weedkiller study (EU Observer)
https://euobserver.com/environment/137255 

Glyphosate weedkiller, previously linked to cancer, judged safe by EU watchdog (The Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/15/no-cancer-risk-to-using-glyphosate-weedkiller-says-eu-watchdog
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 11:43am
Helped get ivory banned in Hong Kong Clap Clap 

Dear friends, 

The world's largest ivory market just banned ivory!! And our movement was at the centre of the fight!

Hong Kong's ivory market is gigantic --- responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of elephants. With these amazing creatures careening towards extinction, Avaazers launched a massive petition,sent thousands of messages to Hong Kong legislators, got many engaged directly with our campaign, and built a media storm right before the vote -- legislators even held up our campaign ads during the debate! 

And yesterday, we won!!! Here’s how it happened... 

Hong Kong petition delivery
The 1.1 million-strong call for an ivory ban is delivered to Hong Kong's lawmakers ahead of the vote
First, over a million of us joined our petition calling for an ivory ban. Almost immediately after launching, a key legislator got in touch to talk to Avaaz about the campaign -- we definitely got their attention! 

Then, last week, we got an urgent email from campaigners in Hong Kong that the government was calling a vote on the ivory ban in just five days. So, we swung into action:
  • We plastered Hong Kong’s social media with a video from our friends at WildAid Hong Kong featuring Chinese superstar Li Bing Bing, showing the heartbreaking impact of the ivory trade.
  • Next, we created a beautiful ad to run in Hong Kong’s biggest newspaper on the day of the vote, telling legislators that the future of elephants was in their hands.
Avaaz advert in the Oriental Daily News
The Avaaz ad in the Oriental Daily News telling Hong Kong lawmakers that the elephants' future is in their hands
  • Then thousands of us sent messages to lawmakers calling on them to support the ban.
  • And as the legislators went in to vote, Avaazers joined a colourful protest organised by fellow campaigners.
Petition Delivery
"Having the support of over a million people all over the world made a big impact when it came down to the vote. Thank you Avaazers!" 
- Alex Hofford, WildAid Hong Kong
  • Finally, in the debate before the vote, one of the main legislators championing the ban held up a giant printed version of our ad for everyone to see, showing them the whole world was watching!
Petition Delivery
"It was a huge boost to be able to deliver a million voices into the debate before we voted for the ivory ban. The world stood with us, and it made a difference." 
- Hong Kong lawmaker Hon Elizabeth Quat
In the end, we won the vote by a landslide!Hong Kong Ivory Vote CountMedia worldwide have hailed this 'historic' vote -- the biggest ivory market in the world will now start shutting down its ivory trade!Ivory+MediaLike many Avaaz campaigns, we didn't do this alone. This incredible result was only possible after years of campaigning by WildAid and others, and thanks to a dedicated group of legislators in Hong Kong who made sure the vote happened. 

Today, thanks to all of us, the poachers and traders are fuming, and our majestic elephant friends have been given a lifeline. I’m full of joy, for the planet, but also selfishly, for my own family. I’ve just become a dad, and now I have hope that my new baby will grow up to have the spectacular experience of seeing elephants in the wild. 

With gratitude and pride at what we have achieved together, 

Bert and the Avaaz team 

P.S. We’ve won in Hong Kong -- but there are still markets open in Europe that we need to close. Click here and add your name to that campaign too!

Avaaz is a 46-million-person global campaign network
 that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 2:24pm
Weeds
Elephants
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 2:59pm
Stuck me name on that .

Feel good story of the day.

I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 5:16pm
Think I signed up the ybig credit card for €2 a week to it a while back Cool
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 6:59pm
Good 'ol 'clicktivism', eh.... taking the place of real activism sine 2007

And Avaaz is an interesting one.... may be great for saving the penguins, but its never seen a regime change campaign it didn't like the look of either.

All the more interesting when you take a look at where its seed funding came from Wink
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 1:27pm
The bees a great bunch of lads

Dear amazing Avaazers, 

We just won a total ban on bee-killing pesticides in all 28 EU countries!!! 

This fight took 7 years and I am so, so proud of our movement right now! We’ve been cited in hundreds of articles the last few days with media calling Avaaz a “catalyst” of the outcome

And that outcome is MASSIVE. It’s not just a global tipping point to save the bees - it bans the world’s most common insecticides, pressing industry to develop a whole new model of non-toxic agriculture! 

We faced the biggest chemical corporations in the world and used every trick in the book - from a 5 million-strong petition, to crowdsourced funding for scientists, to tracking down ministers on an airport runway. 

Here’s the crazy story of how we did it - have a look and let’s take this win global...

We built the largest petition for the bees ever

-- over 5 million strong and delivered it with Avaaz’s 5 meter high mascot, Bernice, who has travelled the world to the key decision making moments, grabbing the media's attention every time. 

We flooded key ministries with calls directly from their voters

...for seven years! And in the last weeks, the push was so strong that, in Germany and Sweden, the ministers responded to us publicly on social media. And in Cyprus the Minister replied directly to Avaaz member Nicolas

We took over the official EU public consultation

The under-the-radar consultation was having a minimal response, then Avaaz members mobilized, and the count went from just 9,000 to 66,000 submissions in just four days, even crashing the system for a day!! 

We funded the science and brought it to decision-makers

To counter the many studies funded by the chemical companies, nearly 150,000 Avaazers worldwide have donated more than 2.5 million Euros (!!!) for bees campaigning and research! Together we supported seminal independent studies by top experts and made sure they were seen by key players before the vote. Finally the official EU scientific body, EFSA, came out supporting the ban. 

Dave Goulson, Professor of Biology, Sussex University: "Friday’s vote was a fantastic victory for science and for the environment; Avaaz members should be proud of the role they played in bringing this about."

We brought pro-ban farmers’ voices to the politicians

One of the key arguments to delay a vote was that farmers had no alternatives to these chemicals, and were anti-ban. So Avaaz staff brought organic and conventional pro-ban farmers together behind an open letter that debunked that notion and published it across the EU -- from La Libre in Belgium, to Dagens Nyheter in Sweden. Even Italy’s biggest farming union joined! 

Alison Waugh, farm worker in Scotland, said: "My future career depends upon the survival of the industry, and ultimately, it depends on bee and insect survival. What you have done is great!"

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 1:30pm
I don't beelieve it, great buzz altogether
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 1:33pm
This is going to sting for the pesticide companies.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 1:40pm
I got stung by a bee the other day. Ten f**king pounds for a jar of honey!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 2:50pm
how did I know there'd be a load bee puns. Beestards the lot of you
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 2:58pm
Good to see you created a bit of a buzz in this trend again 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

how did I know there'd be a load bee puns. Beestards the lot of you

It's a hive of puns and wordplay. The question is: who is the queen? And who is droning on?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic