You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gas and Electricity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

No chance of a gas leak?
yeah im sure its possible alright. Ive had a sniff around and dont notice any gas smell. If it is a leak, its obviously after the meter so would be in the gaff somewhere is just fecking perfect
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 10:40am
So morning 3 and again the meter is higher than yesterday when i have not used any gas. So i ring in as requested and the cheeky chut im speaking to says well the readings (3855 / 3857 / 3859) are small and Show little or no has use so the meter is ok. Im now on hold after losing the plot saying im not using any gas at all and the meter is still rising and you expect me to pay for this? f**king clowns
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 11:56am
Am with Airtricity the last 2 years, on their budget plan, €45 per month every month so no surprises in winter etc & am very happy on it.
Says in their terms& conditions that my usage is evaluated every 4 months and price can be adjusted but in 24 months it never has.
Got an email this morning saying my plan is moving to €59 pm ****s putting it up by 33%
Anyone (Sham) know who’s cheapest or has the best offers at the min?
I wouldn’t have minded a 5er increase but they ask my balls for €15 per month
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:18pm
I'm with Energia I believe they are the cheapest, I rang this morning and got a 10% decrease on both gas and leccy.

https://www.onebigswitch.ie/ Are also doing a new deal with Energia so you might get a better deal through them then going direct to Energia 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:40pm
I dont know how exactly (maybe because it's prepaid I don't use as much) but I find the prepaid gas meter as the best value I've got. I rented for a couple of years and was paying around 1000 per year for gas (sound about right?) just through the standard charge every 2 months for usage and that was with an electric cooker.
Moved into my new home nearly 3 years ago and it had a prepaid meter already. Again electric cooker (not gas). My two annual statements i have received to date have shown I have not put into the meter more than 600 in any given year over the course of the year.

No surprises each month and only pain in the hole is when you run out and have to run the shop and top up (but they do give you 5 Euro emergency which gets you easily through the night (even a few nights if it's not a cold month).

Edited by t_rAndy - 22 Nov 2017 at 12:42pm
kevjreilly View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevjreilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 2:03pm
Just switched to energia. do it on their own website and get the best deal. Also credit on first bill.
Read it 3 times before posting
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 2:37pm
WTF? I'm with Energia and I'm paying €170 per month for Gas & Electricity. Was paying over €200 per month with Airtricity before I switched over.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 5:54pm
Yeah Energia are chepaest. In general, once any contrcat is up for nay utiliy, similar to car insurance etc, you should shop around and see what offers are out there.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:07pm
So would 60 pm still be seen as decent value?
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:23pm
Was with Airtricity for both for the last year, but switched recently, 

Gas with Electric Ireland : 170 Euro credit + 5.5% discount

Electricity with Energia : 50 Euro credit + 29% discount
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

That's just the electricity though yeah? My electricity bill is working out about 60 a month, first 2 months were free. The going rate for a 3 bed house I'd reckon.

Edited by t_rAndy - 22 Nov 2017 at 11:14pm
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 4:40pm

Thats €720 per annum before any +/- afjustments. I prefer to pay my twice monthly bill as normal..ie generally 2 bills over winter that i would deem as high and then the other 4 would be lower. For me personally anything over €150 per high bill is high but then im not in the house a lot. I suppose the best thing for you is to check you usage/costs over the last 12 months and see. When adjusted periodically, did you owe them or did they credit you?
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 5:28pm
Work in the industry. Some tips. Change suppliers every 12 months for Electricity and Gas. Most companies operate at a loss for each customer with the discounts on year 1. They make their profits in the second year etc. (So you should sign 1 year deals and change when they expire)

In regards to what people pay per month or what is an average bill. It's all complete guess work. There's no such thing as an average bill as everybody uses Electricity and Gas differently. If Mrs X drinks tea, she uses the kettle more than Mrs Y who doesn't drink tea. If Mr X has a playstation and Mr Y doesn't etc etc etc. Your usage is your usage and it's pointless comparing it to anyone else

I would recommend reading your own meter at least every two months to avoid your bill being estimated. ESB Networks will try (sometimes they don't have access to the meter if it's apartments or in a locked garage) to read the meter between 1 and 4 times per year. Your supplier won't ever read it so it's a good idea to do it yourself.
Theres only one sport that matters..
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Thats €720 per annum before any +/- afjustments. I prefer to pay my twice monthly bill as normal..ie generally 2 bills over winter that i would deem as high and then the other 4 would be lower. For me personally anything over €150 per high bill is high but then im not in the house a lot. I suppose the best thing for you is to check you usage/costs over the last 12 months and see. When adjusted periodically, did you owe them or did they credit you?

Yeah it’s €180 a year increase. f**k it i’ll make the move, utilities company’s are ****s. No offence BoyZ and cheers for the advice

Edited by 9fingers - 23 Nov 2017 at 9:03pm
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

Work in the industry. Some tips. Change suppliers every 12 months for Electricity and Gas. Most companies operate at a loss for each customer with the discounts on year 1. They make their profits in the second year etc. (So you should sign 1 year deals and change when they expire)

In regards to what people pay per month or what is an average bill. It's all complete guess work. There's no such thing as an average bill as everybody uses Electricity and Gas differently. If Mrs X drinks tea, she uses the kettle more than Mrs Y who doesn't drink tea. If Mr X has a playstation and Mr Y doesn't etc etc etc. Your usage is your usage and it's pointless comparing it to anyone else

I would recommend reading your own meter at least every two months to avoid your bill being estimated. ESB Networks will try (sometimes they don't have access to the meter if it's apartments or in a locked garage) to read the meter between 1 and 4 times per year. Your supplier won't ever read it so it's a good idea to do it yourself.

I always text that number on the the sorry we missed you note is in the door. It's a pain in the hoop when getting hit with a big bill. 

Once I actually met this mystical card deliverer, I'm not gonna lie it was a big disappointment. The old saying is true never meet your heroes  
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 1:47pm
Couldn't find a thread but looking to change from oil to gas.
The house I'll be moving into has oil and when we got the surveyor report it said we needed to fix the oil tanker as it was unbalanced and need a new boiler so just thinking of changing to gas.
Might have to do some digging in the garden to get it connected. Would this be a costly job? Anyone change over?
The dark side.. And the light
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 2:16pm
Would you not just buy a new boiler?
I'm guessing getting the oil tank sorted is a quick fix and there is a grant for new boilers.
Top of the range boiler be less than 2k and I think the grant was €700 but with some stipulations.

darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 2:34pm
Think if we have have to spend money on new stuff we might as well get new stuff for gas, and would just prefer gas anyway.
I take it I might be able to get one of those grants on a gas boiler too.
The dark side.. And the light
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic