You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gas and Electricity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas and Electricity
    Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 11:35am
I can't find the old thread. Does anyone know who are the cheapest at the moment for both gas and electricity?
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 11:37am
I used to be with Bord Gais but changed to Electric Ireland, not sure on exact figures but EI is working out cheaper.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 11:40am
I'm with flogas for gas and bord gais for electricity. I do an check every 6 months or so to ensure I'm with the cheapest. They're the cheapest standard around, however if you sign up to say Electricity Ireland for example they have a 10% discount for new customers.
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 12:14pm
I run the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas and save €200 a year!
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

I run the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas and save €200 a year!

Was only a matter of time really LOL
@AntrimMan85
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

I'm with flogas for gas and bord gais for electricity. I do an check every 6 months or so to ensure I'm with the cheapest. They're the cheapest standard around, however if you sign up to say Electricity Ireland for example they have a 10% discount for new customers.

That reminds me, I signed up to both of these around 18 months ago, so got all the best discounts but those offers will be ending soon.

Sham is that the best bit of info you have that Electric Ireland will give a 10% reduction, anything better surely??

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 8:05pm
Lads or lasse's just looking for a bit of info about electric Ireland, has anybody switched from pre power to electric Ireland and have they found it any cheaper ?
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 9:23pm
Switched to Energia the other day. Their standing charges are slightly higher but based on my last gas and electric bill, I'd still save.

With pre pay power the only benefit is PAYG Daithi and not getting a bill. Each supplier has a standard rate which is anything from 10%-17-% higher than the discounted rate depending on the supplier. Sign up to the likes of Energia/Bord Gais etc for a year and you get the discounted rate but your two monthly bill again. Pasted below an article from SIPTU on the issue. Overall it depends on what suits your personal circumstances really. Level pay from Bord Gais might suit you for example, whereby they work out your average bill for the last 12 months then you know what your paying. Upside is at times of high usage your not hit with whopper bills such as in the winter but then in the summer when you might use little or no gas, your still paying. I think they correct the balance twice yearly. So you may end up owing them or they owing you. I wrote a blog on it here

Pre-pay meters pushing up cost of Electricity
Date Released: 17 December 2013

Electricity consumers using prepay meters are spending significantly more than those paying the ESB and other suppliers through the traditional billing system.

Retired public service worker, Anne Dunleavy, has estimated that she is paying 75 cent per daymore for electricity since she installed a meter in her home in Raheny, north Dublin.

Based on a comparison with her final ESB bill, Ann Dunleavy has calculated that she is putting €4.25 per day into her meter whereas she was paying €3.50 per day on her ESB bill.

The private companies promoting and installing meters argue that they help customers to monitor and reduce their electricity consumption.

However, in the case of Ann Dunleavy and others contacted by Liberty, the cost of the service could mean customers paying in excess of €273.75 per year for their electricity and even more when the discounts regularly given to users by the ESB, Electric Ireland, Bord Gais and Airtricity are taken into account Ann and her husband Tony, who is also retired, had a Prepay Power meter installed in mid-November and closed their account with Electric Ireland.

In just20 days, from 14th November to 4th December, she fed €85 intothe meter, which beeps incessantly when the meter runs low. Comparing it with her closing bill she discovered that she was paying 75 cent per day more for the service. While installation of the meter was free, she is locked intoa 12-month contract.

“I find that I am constantly feeding the meter machine. We thought it would be a good way of monitoring usage but it has turned out to be significantly more expensive than the ESB service. People should be warned that pre-pay meters can add significantly to their electricity bill,” she said.

Edited by sham157 - 26 Jun 2014 at 9:28pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 9:32pm
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 9:41pm
Thanks for that Sham Thumbs Up, i am currently with pre pay power but the electric Ireland rep was around the doors today trying to convince me to go with their PAYG meter, he was saying that my current crowd stop 97c a day before you even use any electricty and that their offer is only 30c plus  tax which brings it to about 52c a day before usage, not jumping in until i find out the whole story off someone but going by that article you also posted might just go back to the bill pay lark as have said to mrs daithi that we seem to be just feeding the meter fairly regular, stupidly i have not kept track of thehow much we are putting in quarterly
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
The Saint View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 6:02pm
Just had someone from airtricity at the door there offering me decent rates.
2 questions she couldn't answer.

1. Do I have to contact my current supplier to let them know I'm leaving? Not arsed having to spend time on hold.
2. I am currently paying the same direct debit each month for both elec and gas. Does any arrears have to be cleared before leaving or can I transfer that too?
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

1. Do I have to contact my current supplier to let them know I'm leaving? Not arsed having to spend time on hold. Once you're out of contract, you can switch to your new supplier online. No need to contact them. Can't believe yer wan didn't know that.
2. I am currently paying the same direct debit each month for both elec and gas. Does any arrears have to be cleared before leaving or can I transfer that too?
One direct debit for the 2 bills? I switched to Energia there (compare all rates before you switch btw) and I get two bills as the billing cycle of the Gas and leccy are different. Arrears have to be cleared although there is a small leeway I think. I'll check the letters I got.

€225 or more in arrears will raise a debt flag. That means when Airtricity cancel your current account, your present supplier will inform them if you have arrears of €225 or more

Edited by sham157 - 22 Aug 2014 at 6:14pm
The Saint View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

1. Do I have to contact my current supplier to let them know I'm leaving? Not arsed having to spend time on hold. Once you're out of contract, you can switch to your new supplier online. No need to contact them. Can't believe yer wan didn't know that.
One direct debit for the 2 bills? I switched to Energia there (compare all rates before you switch btw) and I get two bills as the billing cycle of the Gas and leccy are different. Arrears have to be cleared although there is a small leeway I think. I'll check the letters I got.

€225 or more in arrears will raise a debt flag. That means when Airtricity cancel your current account, your present supplier will inform them if you have arrears of €225 or more

Sound thanks. I pay the same DD for 12 months and then it's reviewed. Just means I don't have big bills in winter and catch up in the summer.
Would have closed the door on her for not knowing but she was a decent redhead
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 7:19pm
A reasonable enough reason to keep the door open.

You must be with Bord Gais so on the level pay plan? Don't think anybody else does that type of plan tbh. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 12:07am
Got a call off Bord Gais who do the electricity offering 10% discount off both gas and leccy. Now I have seen an ad on the forum from electric Ireland and they have a deal on prices, so it seems there's a price war -well a price scrap. So Sham what's your verdict?

Also lads sign up to www.onebigswitch.ie saved a few quid off my leccy last year and they are doing a deal with gas at the moment, just waiting to see what offer, they come up with. They had a €25 free taxi journey if you downloaded the uber app on to your phone, which was good.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 12:08am
Electric Ireland offer....

11% Discount
on Gas & 15%
Discount on
Electricity

plus

€30
Online Switching Bonus

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 6:50am
Generally the offers available on one big switch are the same that are open to everyone, cancelled my membership of it as when I checked it was no benefit. that may have changed recently however. I'm in a contract now so havent been checking prices Bob, however, when checking prices, it's handy to have a couple of recent bils. Check not only the unit price but the standing charge. Airtrcity had for example a higher standing charge than the others the last time I checked which unless you were using huge amounts of leccy/gas would actually mean higher bills even with their unit discount. It's a minefield out there lads....
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 8:11am
Try the price calculator on bonkers.ie it calculates all supplier prices based on your usage
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic