You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Giving up smoking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Have never been a smoker but does it affect taste that badly?

Yes, taste, smell, breathing, snoring, colds/flus all affected by smoking.
Off them 5 years this month & agree with H2H, best thing I’ve done.

Fair play, can't be easy. 

I'd say there's a serious temptation when you're on a night out.

Zero cravings these days, month 1 was the hardest, didn’t drink for the month which helped then went on a stag & brought an e cig. Once I got through that weekend I never looked back
shoggy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shoggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 8:34am
Day 1 off them Smile I tried to go off them about 3 times in the last 5 years but more determined than ever now, I don't even like smoking its just the habit/addiction, gonna stay off the booze for the first month as well
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else!
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 9:20am
Off them 3 years on NYE gone, similar to what someone posted here previously I was smoking the last bit of rollie tobacco about 23.50 on NYE and decided that was it, I went cold turkey and found it easy enough to be honest, I think deciding on a whim the way I did made it easier than planning it as I would've built it up in my head.

I'd say maybe once a month I might get a "craving", though it's probably more nostalgia than an actual craving. Hate the smell of them now, was in a bar in a smoking bar in Copenhagen in Nov and it was f**king disgusting Dead

Anyway best of luck everyone Thumbs Up
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 9:23am
First day in the office after giving up 4 weeks ago. It crossed me mind before leaving that I normally have a smoke on the way to get the luas. Just decided to run the luas instead, which was grand as I just caught it by the skin of my teeth. Win win
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 9:45am
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Off them 3 years on NYE gone, similar to what someone posted here previously I was smoking the last bit of rollie tobacco about 23.50 on NYE and decided that was it, I went cold turkey and found it easy enough to be honest, I think deciding on a whim the way I did made it easier than planning it as I would've built it up in my head.

I'd say maybe once a month I might get a "craving", though it's probably more nostalgia than an actual craving. Hate the smell of them now, was in a bar in a smoking bar in Copenhagen in Nov and it was f**king disgusting Dead

Anyway best of luck everyone Thumbs Up

Same here. When I moved to Canada 5 years ago I just gave them up cold Turkey and now cannot stand the smell of them or the smell off people who smoke. They really are disgusting.
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 11:11am
The most disgusting thing there is in my eyes now is seeing someone smoking in their car, especially if the windows are up. 

Claudia Schiffer could pull up beside me at the lights, puffing away behind the wheel, and I'd still look away in disgust.

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 11:00pm
Not going against the grain for the sake of it, but noticed absolutely nothing different, the hangovers are the same, yes, I do get out of breath at times but I'd say that's more to do with my general lack of fitness than anything smoking related, I don't ''feel better'' or capable of running a marathon all of a sudden, other people smoking doesn't really bother me much either and I don't run away from them because of the smell of cigs.  The one thing I'd agree on is the smell of smoke in confined spaces, I wouldn't say disgusting, but whereas before I'd barely notice it, now it is that bit more unpleasant and I find meself wanting fresh air. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 1:46am
It looks like rollies are being banned on Wednesday? It would seem hardly anyone is aware of this. Snuff not to be banned.

Edited by Jackal - 16 May 2020 at 1:48am
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

It looks like rollies are being banned on Wednesday? It would seem hardly anyone is aware of this. Snuff not to be banned.

Only menthol and other flavoured tabacco being banned. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

First day in the office after giving up 4 weeks ago. It crossed me mind before leaving that I normally have a smoke on the way to get the luas. Just decided to run the luas instead, which was grand as I just caught it by the skin of my teeth. Win win

Yay, seems like so long ago I was trying to give up. So far in the past now.

Just decided one day that was it, I wasn’t buying another pack and went from there. 

Would recommend not to go out for a month or so while giving up, that is what always use to catch me out. 
Don’t get cravings whatsoever, even if hammered and someone else with me was smoking, was like a switch went off and I find them disgusting now Smile
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 2:54pm

Yay, seems like so long ago I was trying to give up. So far in the past now.

Just decided one day that was it, I wasn’t buying another pack and went from there. 

Would recommend not to go out for a month or so while giving up, that is what always use to catch me out. 
Don’t get cravings whatsoever, even if hammered and someone else with me was smoking, was like a switch went off and I find them disgusting now Smile
I’m off them a while now but still smoke when I’m locked. Was smoking at my Christmas party last December then I was in Madrid in February and was smoking over there. Can’t remember the last time I had a smoke sober. I’d guess around two years ago. Just can’t resist the temptation when I’m drunk. I mean after about 6 pints or so and I’m in a pub. I’m grand when having a few cans at home.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 6:37pm
you can still buy snuff? was part of the snuff gang at school Cool

some mess on the pillow the next morn after a day and night on the gear. 

Edited by McG - 16 May 2020 at 6:38pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Norwegian lad gave me some in Edinburgh before, it was dreadful!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 6:50pm

Probably wasn’t the only mess in your bed 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 10:14pm

Off licences and pubs sell it. It's good for a blocked nose but you'd be sneezing for an hour after it.

Edited by Jackal - 16 May 2020 at 10:15pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 8:49pm
After 16 years of my life I've finally concluded I need to stop smoking cigarettes.

What is the best of way of doing this.
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 10:43pm
Take a Week off work, drink like a looney first day off, get massive hang over first day, go cold turkey and hang in for a week, how I done it 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 1:48am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

After 16 years of my life I've finally concluded I need to stop smoking cigarettes.

What is the best of way of doing this.

Try to replace the urge to have a smoke with something else.
Coffee was a big one for me. Instead of going for a smoke for a break at work I’d go for a coffee.

Not sure how you travel to work but I use the tram and always use to have a smoke for the walk to the tram station, so I overcame that urge by finding myself good podcasts to listen to instead.

I use to also have a smoke before bedtime and even during the night if I woke up, felt they helped me sleep. I replaced them by going to sleep listening to a podcast or watching a documentary on phone and drifting off and the I have a bottle of water to drink when I wake up in middle of the night. 

The urges went away surprisingly quick in the end after many years of failed attempts. I'd say "right, after this pack I'm done", the id finish the pack, but then a day or maybe even a few later I’d fall down because I'm dying for the smoke to accompany my walk to work and I'd give in and buy a pack, or not being able to sleep so I’d go the garage and buy a pack in the middle night then would smoke the pack. So then I'd smoke that pack over a few days and then have to start again 

Edited by t_rAndy - 08 Jun 2020 at 1:55am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic