You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Giving up smoking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 10:58pm
Day 3 off them now. My technique is working so far. I've taking up drinking coffee during the day at work to substitute for the 3 times I'd usually go for a smoke during the day. Then another coffee after dinner. Have had trouble sleeping the last two nights, I love my nighttime smoke. Coffee is not a good substitute just before bed so have some camomile for just before bed.

Replace one bad addiction for a not so bad addiction, the way to go!

Edited by t_rAndy - 05 Mar 2015 at 10:59pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 11:28pm
Good man Andy! Keep it up, best thing I ever did
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 2:25am
The Camomile tea hasn't worked. Insomnia here if there was a smoke in the house I'd have it!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 9:03am
Originally posted by brianie brianie wrote:

Going on the vape from tomorrow, Will make it this timeBeer

Brianie tried to give up the fags.

Who know he meant the lads on ybig :).
AKA pedantic kunt
Just saying like View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The truth is out there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just saying like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by brianie brianie wrote:

Going on the vape from tomorrow, Will make it this timeBeer

Brianie tried to give up the fags.

Who know he meant the lads on ybig :).

Maybe explains why he got so touchy and ratty all of a sudden as well Ouch
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 12:51am
So I didn't have 100% success when I gave up smokes 1-2 year ago. I did cut them down dramatically to like 2-3 a day. I did start hitting them harder in the 2nd half of 2017 though, was under a sh*t ton of work related pressure and also found myself drinking a lot more and the two kind of go hand in hand.

I decided a month ago after a heavy weekend of drinking and smokes that actually I need to follow through on my desire to stop smoking and I'm now 4 weeks without as much as a puff. Physically I believe that puts me in the clear of nicotine desire, but mentally I get very strong urges to have a cig, especially after a few beers like tonight. Only that I'm at home and not out on the tear I think I'd give in.

Questions, does that urge ever go? If not, how did you get passed it?

Edited by t_rAndy - 06 Jan 2018 at 12:53am
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 10:05am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

So I didn't have 100% success when I gave up smokes 1-2 year ago. I did cut them down dramatically to like 2-3 a day. I did start hitting them harder in the 2nd half of 2017 though, was under a sh*t ton of work related pressure and also found myself drinking a lot more and the two kind of go hand in hand.

I decided a month ago after a heavy weekend of drinking and smokes that actually I need to follow through on my desire to stop smoking and I'm now 4 weeks without as much as a puff. Physically I believe that puts me in the clear of nicotine desire, but mentally I get very strong urges to have a cig, especially after a few beers like tonight. Only that I'm at home and not out on the tear I think I'd give in.

Yeah they definitely go Andy, well done on getting this far.
I found the first month was the hardest & every day after that gets a little easier. Just try to keep yourself busy, if I was doing it all over again, I’d try to do some form of exercise every time I got an urge, as I put on a stone when I gave up & have struggled to shift it since!
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 11:09am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I found the first month was the hardest & every day after that gets a little easier. Just try to keep yourself busy, if I was doing it all over again, I’d try to do some form of exercise every time I got an urge, as I put on a stone when I gave up & have struggled to shift it since!

sh*t that's not good, I've put on a stone myself ha. But I haven't been going the gym for a few weeks on top of Christmas. No excuses not to go back with wedding in the summer.
Cheers for the advice. I managed to get asleep without caving in. Looking forward to the cravings going away
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 1:31pm

+1
Take it day by day, it does get easier.
And Jesus the price of them now as well.
Smoked thru my late teens and 20’s.
Gave up at 30 (got married, the missus asked me to give them up, didn’t take much persuading as my dad got diagnosed with cancer at the same time).
I missed them at first, hardest time was when I was in the pub.
But don’t miss them at all now, in fact I hate the smell of ciggie smoke, annoys the fook out of me when we’re away on hols and some fecker is smoking at a table right beside us when we are eating.
Yes, I went from loving smoking to being one of those coonts who complains about other smokers
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 1:37pm
Choose life , give up smoking .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 1:48pm
I’m on and off them all the time. Was smoking a bit over Christmas, back off them 3 days. My breathing is absolutely f**ked because of smoking. Mornings and nighttime is horrible, coughing and wheezing. I’ve been off them for 6 months before and was off them for 3 months last year. Felt much better when off them. Really hope I can do it this time. My biggest issue is, I can never see myself going on a session and not smoking.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 2:22pm

Changed jobs a year ago and that was a decent catalyst for meself to give up, for the previous 7 years, I was just in a habit of smoking cigs at certain times, one on way to work, one on a break at 11 with the other smokers in work, 2 at lunchtime etc. I'm not sure that it is as much an urge as a habit, though I suppose that varies for individuals. Switched to the vapour/ecig yoke, which I wouldn't use as much as cigs.

I only started on it with the intention of cutting down from 20 a day and to be honest, I was fairly surprised by how easily I managed it, within about 6 weeks, I had stopped bringing the pack of cigs in me pocket to work as a 'just in case' measure. In that time, I didn't actually smoke any of them, it was just a mental thing to have them there in case I got an urge to smoke. 

Like a lot of lads, I found it hardest to give up while drinking, but even that has reduced over time, I would have a few on Sat night with a few pints, and still do, but these days, I'd nearly struggle to finish one and wouldn't get much beyond 5 on a night out, they don't have the same appeal, previously, 20 might not have been enough on a night out. 

When I started on the vapour yoke, one of the lads asked me was I giving up, and my answer was non commital, so he says' ha, you don't have the willpower, you won't give them up' . But with meself, the trick is not focusing on giving them up, tis more trying not to think about the subject at all, and that has mainly worked so far. You would hear of lads getting acupuncture, hypnotised & all sorts , so I suppose the lesson in it is that it is different for everyone. Good luck with it anyway. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 11:03pm
Switched gradually over to the vaping. I'll have to give that up sometime aswell, but in terms of feeling healthy or fit and cost, there is no comparison.

You hear ppl say don't smoke and vape, but that's bollox cos over time I'd smoke less and go for the e cig as I just preferred the taste.

I had tried Alan Carr, lozenges and cold turkey before and none of them stuck.

Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 4:31pm
Off the smokers 6 years ... I tried and planned to quit numerous times before that . I think the more focus you put on trying to give them up ie when you are starting (date) and buying every product under the sun to help puts more pressure on you . I eventually had none left one day and never planned to quit that day and just never bothered to buy a pack and went cold turkey. it also helps to stay away from other smokers and the gargle. Best of luck if anyone giving them up . The taste buds and breathing will be all the better for it . Sometimes I'd walk by someone smoking and think I'd love a smoke for aul times sake
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 6:07pm
Have never been a smoker but does it affect taste that badly?
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 6:19pm
I can't really give any tips on giving up other than I swapped to rolling tobacco about a year before I quit. I think that helps taper as there's no where near as many chemicals in it. I put stopping smoking down to that. Started when I was 14. Up to 20 B&H a day. Off them 6.5 years now. 

What I can say unequivocally though is that giving them up is the best thing I've ever done. And it will be the best thing you'll ever do too Thumbs Up

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Yes, taste, smell, breathing, snoring, colds/flus all affected by smoking.
Off them 5 years this month & agree with H2H, best thing I’ve done.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 9:09pm

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Yes, taste, smell, breathing, snoring, colds/flus all affected by smoking.
Off them 5 years this month & agree with H2H, best thing I’ve done.

Fair play, can't be easy. 

I'd say there's a serious temptation when you're on a night out.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic