You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Giving up smoking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Giving up smoking
    Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 10:31am
I'm attempting this at the minute.
To be honest it's not a New Years resolution, more christmas was the last straw. I was like a full time smoker for a week there and fed up with them.
Now I don't smoke at all during the week but smoke like a trooper on a night out, easily smoking a 20-box. I honestly think it makes the task harder as I wouldn't be 1 for making Good decisions while drinking.
I got through a great wedding New Year's Eve smoke free so that's a good start but I know it's going to be hard with a lot of friends who smoke whilst out like myself.
Any tips?
Oh Poland we loved you.....
jinky View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Ireland's number one fan, ole ole ole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 10:55am
Buy an ecig and use it when you are on the lash
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 10:58am
Im off these f**kers again myself . Feel the benefits already. Quit for 5 months last year and got married in between so trust me , it can be done !!! 

I kept falling into the trap because I would make myself believe I could have a smoke with a drink the odd time and be grand. It doesn't work like that , for me anyway . Its all or nothing . Smokes are a stimulant similar to E's, coke .. all that sh*te. If you have one , sooner or later you are back in the cycle ...

I have quit 4 times and went back on them . Was on Ireland trips , at weddings , funerals .. all that stuff and didnt smoke so I know its not necessary to smoke to enjoy yourself. Its just the discipline of not having one ever again. 

l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 11:03am
4 years off them now,its basically down to how much you really want to quit and as BB says above, Discipline is the key, good luck Thumbs Up
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Jackthelad View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 11:25am
I definitely want to. I am starting to hate them the day after, my stomach can't enjoy any type of food. And after that wedding on New Years I ate like a horse the next day having not smoked.
It's health motivated really, I am hearing those ads on Telly and in the car, I'd an aunt that died same way, it's just not worth the risk for me personally. Hope I'm not rubbin ybig smokers up the wrong way. It's not as if I'm looking down my nose at smokers, never would, just I have to stop for my own sake.
I've a baby on the way in June also, another good reason as my missus is off them, and she'd smoke a few during the week normally. She's doing it easily.
roigalway ger99 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roigalway  ger99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 11:32am
Trying to quit the smokes again only on my 2nd day but giving the nicorette inhaler ago! I've been looking around for the vaporcigs that I've seen a load of people using but can't seem to find them in boots or any chemist? Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?
And they'll be dancing in streets of Total Network Solutions tonight."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 12:01pm
Personally i don't believe in the need for patches or the like,its all mental,there is huge increase in appetite and energy levels increase too,my mate suggested a bag of chopped up carrots to bring with me to work,i must have went through 50 kilos of chopped up carrots LOL but it worked,didn't bother with the sweets etc, started back swimming and playing football to keep me busy, food tasted a million times better and i stopped coughing up crap in the mornings, the benefits are huge, take it day by day and when you are feeling weak think of you aunt or another motivational reason why you quit in the 1st place.
jinky View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Ireland's number one fan, ole ole ole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by roigalway  ger99 roigalway ger99 wrote:

Trying to quit the smokes again only on my 2nd day but giving the nicorette inhaler ago! I've been looking around for the vaporcigs that I've seen a load of people using but can't seem to find them in boots or any chemist? Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?
chemists are not allowed sell them anymore,they are not approved by the pharma controllers or something,online is where you get them

Edited by jinky - 04 Jan 2014 at 12:36pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Personally i don't believe in the need for patches or the like,its all mental,there is huge increase in appetite and energy levels increase too,my mate suggested a bag of chopped up carrots to bring with me to work,i must have went through 50 kilos of chopped up carrots LOL but it worked,didn't bother with the sweets etc, started back swimming and playing football to keep me busy, food tasted a million times better and i stopped coughing up crap in the mornings, the benefits are huge, take it day by day and when you are feeling weak think of you aunt or another motivational reason why you quit in the 1st place.

Cheers Salzburg, as I was sayin I don't want to even know about them Monday - Friday. My vice is when I'm drinking so that's going to be the test.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Jackthelad Jackthelad wrote:

Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Cheers Salzburg, as I was sayin I don't want to even know about them Monday - Friday. My vice is when I'm drinking so that's going to be the test.

I was off them about 2 months when i went to Lithuania with the lads for my 30th, spent 3 days on the piss and didn't touch one, that was the acid test and i knew then i would never smoke again, it does help if the people you drink with don't smoke either.
Mick_G View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by roigalway  ger99 roigalway ger99 wrote:

Google vip e cigarette they are quality have pop up shops in most of the big shopping centres.they are expensive think 60 for starter kit but are a million times better then the Nicorette inhaler and the cheap e cigarette
@mickgleeson82
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 2:20pm
 Many old people get to a stage where they forget to smoke. Maybe it's all a mental thing? 
Best of luck with it anyway lads. I'd say ye might have to stop drinking at the start.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 5:18pm
Get Allen Carr's book, it's very good and highly recommended, it explains that smoking is a habit and once you get out of the routine of smoking after dinner/lunch/mornings etc you're sorted.

I was off them about 6 months after reading it, but slowly crept back on them, though i'd be the same as yourself in that I only mainly smoke when I drink, the fact a good few around me smoke as well didn't help the cause, in the 6 months I had 2 cigarettes, i enjoyed the 1st one and the 2nd one made me feel sick!

I've thought about giving them up for the New Year but had 1 today so that's the end of that, I'm not 100% determined to give up though which is crucial to your quest!

Best of luck anyway dude, hope it goes well
EastStandMan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

I am Shamrock Rovers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EastStandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 5:23pm
Gonna sound like a tit but fack it - its worth it - smoking is about 5% physical/chemical addiction and 95 % in yer head . You will crave for a week and its handy after that . They are filthy things and a terrible and expensive way to cripple yourself . You will laugh at em after a few months .
Shamrock Rovers - lovin the buzz .
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 5:24pm
Ya I think you've got to be 100% on giving them up. I think I am.
It's been growing on me for a good while, sick of em. Won't be easy I know that much.
EastStandMan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

I am Shamrock Rovers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EastStandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 5:28pm
Best of luck .
Shamrock Rovers - lovin the buzz .
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 5:45pm
Off them 1 year as of Thursday. Smoked for 15 years up to that 25 a day the last 5/6 years. I gave up drinking for the month of January which helped a lot, also would chew a lot of chewing gum, maybe 2 packs a day. I went on a stag at the start of February which I was very nervous about so bought an e cig and used it for the weekend. After that weekend every day got easier.

As has been said is 95% in your head so IF you really want to give them up- you will, it's as simple as that.

Best of luck to everyone that's off them, the sense of smell, taste, energy, appetite, stomach problems, colds/flus, coughs, snoring all improve so not even taking the money saving into it makes it completely worthwhile.

But if you're not fully committed, don't waste your time.

Edited by 9fingers - 04 Jan 2014 at 5:47pm
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 9:51pm
Off the smokes myself since June. Best thing ever. Don't even smoke when drink. Once first few weeks over the rest gets easier.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic