You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

David McGoldrick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 43>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 4:30am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Kenny is slightly confusing. 

He's essentially gone from the 4-3-3 at the start to a now 4-2-3-1. Ok, fair enough. It make sense for James McCarthy, he's always worked better with someone else beside him in midfield.

This issue that arises is the number 10.

Hendrick got the gig. I get it & don't get it. By the looks of it, Kenny wants this high energy number 10 for pressing reasons. That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is having someone who presses, gets the ball, then hasn't a scooby what to do with it. Hendrick completely slows down the tempo in the final third, undoing the good work of the press and allowing the opposition to regroup.

If Kenny wants to play 4-2-3-1, then just sh!t or get off the pot. Give Jack Byrne a whirl or call up Connor Ronan and stick him in. Will you get high energy and ability to win the ball back? Absolutely not, but at least you'll have someone in the final third who knows how to create.

Parrott could also be a potential for this position down the road. But for now, just playing a high energy player won't suffice.

This is a good post. Seeing Hendrick behind McGoldrick was, I think, an attempt at making up for McGoldrick’s physical limitations and make the most of his intelligence. Hendrick was leading the press and McGoldrick dropping back into positions where he could receive the ball and use it given the opportunity. I think it showed some flexibility in the system.

Given now we’ll be using a more orthodox #9 in Idah or Connolly, I can’t see Hendrick being the right foil. We have to have a bit more creativity and intelligence in there (no offence Jeff). Could it be Browne? He lacks craft, but he is effective between lines in a kind of awkward way.

I also think Parrott will have the role at some point. Ive seen him play a bit like McGoldrick, dropping back and taking the ball (in the Kane model, I suppose) but he is a super finisher so we’ll need to find a place for him somewhere. 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

Darren View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

It shows what playing for Ireland meant to him if he is retiring after 14 caps to try and get his place back in his club side

Not popular to say it but I agree completely with this. Guys who qualify through grannies are unlikely to care anywhere near as much as native born players.

Not popular with me mate and not accurate in my view.

Look how many grannies Corkman Stephen Ireland had and how much he cared.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Darren Darren wrote:

It shows what playing for Ireland meant to him if he is retiring after 14 caps to try and get his place back in his club side

Not popular to say it but I agree completely with this. Guys who qualify through grannies are unlikely to care anywhere near as much as native born players.

Not popular with me either.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 10:18pm

The exception that proves the rule. For every Stephen Ireland there are 10 Bernie Slavens and the like. As I said it is "unlikely" they would care as much. Of course it isn't a hard and fast rule.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 10:24pm
To be fair McGoldrick owes us nothing. Never pulled out of squads when selected. It's up to managers to pick him. He's 33 the end of the month. Probably should be looking to another striker for the long run. 

He's alright in my book!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 10:40pm

The exception that proves the rule. For every Stephen Ireland there are 10 Bernie Slavens and the like. As I said it is "unlikely" they would care as much. Of course it isn't a hard and fast rule.

Poor example using Bernie Slaven. Just have a look at his twitter and see how proud he is and was of representing the eire.

I see your point but I think the landscape of international football has changed so much over the last 20 and even 10 years that the “tangible” value for playing international football isn’t as it was. 

Players were retired in the past as opposed to taking the option themselves to call it a day. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 11:10pm

A good servant for us. Always did well. Will remember that Swiss goal. Would have won much more Caps only for MON. 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 2:11pm

Yes, there's certainly never been an Irish born player who retired when they were pushing 33.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 2:22pm
Really don't get the grief he's getting. I'd imagine the plan would have been to stay on for the Euros if we qualified. He'd have been 5/6 months off 34 then. Given how late the next WC is he'd be 35 by the time that came around
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Really don't get the grief he's getting. I'd imagine the plan would have been to stay on for the Euros if we qualified. He'd have been 5/6 months off 34 then. Given how late the next WC is he'd be 35 by the time that came around

Thats it, in a nutshell.

Failing to qualify for something will always cause a few retirements, even ones we might be quite surprised at. Some will be convinced back, some won't be. Its been the nature of the beast for years.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 2:39pm
He was dropped for about 4 years and never complained when he came back in. Never any dramas. Good luck to him
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Agreed,

I also think because he has so few caps that it was probably easier for him to step up which again is fully understandable.

I think when you're part of the furniture and just so used to showing up (Coleman, McClean etc) you accept that time off is minimal and it's been part of your routine for the best part of a decade, McGoldrick didn't have that luxury. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 5:46pm

He obviously sees where this squad is going...... No where. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

Sleepy
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 7:21pm

I agree we should send a letter to fifa and uefa saying we dont want to play anymore as we will only lose.  Sure what's the point of it all anyway.  We should give up as we clearly are not good enough.
AKA pedantic kunt
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 7:28pm

You my friend are fast becoming a pain in my hole. 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

You my friend are fast becoming a pain in my hole. 
If he keeps this wumming up he wont be a pain for too much longer.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 8:17pm
Didsy has 4 kids under the age of 6 and recently split up with his misses. Hence his decision to retire early. I wish him all the best, he was a really bright spark for us over the past 2 years!
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 43>
  Share Topic