Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

David McGoldrick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 43>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Read in social media that the Forest fans referred to him as David McGoaldrought.

Unfortunately, there is an element of truth to it.

Still a very good player for us.
Yeah, fella in work, a Forest fan,  always refers to him as such.
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 12:32pm
He'll never be a prolific goalscorer but his all round play has been excellent at Premier league level. He's playing regularly for a team that are currently fifth in the Premier league while Notts Forest are eighth in the Championship so Forest fans are probably not best placed to sl*g him off. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 12:38pm
Not sl*gging him off - but we have another good player who can't score goals.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 12:54pm

Not sl*gging him off - but we have another good player who can't score goals.

Mcgoldrick seems to be our best option up front, he's not going to get many goals but his all round performances have been pretty good, for ireland and sheffield. 

It would be good to see mcgoldrick and Connelly play as a front pair. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 12:55pm
Well clearly he can score goals, he has a pretty good goalscoring record at Championship level. He's been very unlucky so far this season, having goals ruled out for marginal offsides, being denied by brilliant saves, etc. I think once he gets 1 he'll start to add a few more. He's not going to be a goal machine at this level but I do think he's capable of 6-8 a season when he gets going.
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Well clearly he can score goals, he has a pretty good goalscoring record at Championship level. He's been very unlucky so far this season, having goals ruled out for marginal offsides, being denied by brilliant saves, etc. I think once he gets 1 he'll start to add a few more. He's not going to be a goal machine at this level but I do think he's capable of 6-8 a season when he gets going.
I really like the guy, he has won me over, but he doesn’t. It’s 1 in 4 at best.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 2:59pm
He averaged a goal every 260 minutes for Ipswich (1 in every 2.9 games); and a goal every 215 minutes for Sheffield United last season (1 every 2.4 games). So yeah, you're wrong.
We're decent enough..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 3:05pm
He has scored 1 goal in 16 games this season including Ireland games.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 3:06pm

Read in social media that the Forest fans referred to him as David McGoaldrought.

LOL
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 3:16pm

Unfortunately, there is an element of truth to it.

Still a very good player for us.
Saints fans called him that early in his career
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

LOL

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 4:46pm

He averaged a goal every 260 minutes for Ipswich (1 in every 2.9 games); and a goal every 215 minutes for Sheffield United last season (1 every 2.4 games). So yeah, you're wrong.
Nice selective mathematics but his total championship record is 81 goals in 357 appearances which would make it one goal per 4.407 matches in so not exactly prolific even by Shane Long standards. He's 32 now as well (and still to score a Premier league goal) so a little late for all that to change.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Nice selective mathematics but his total championship record is 81 goals in 357 appearances which would make it one goal per 4.407 matches in so not exactly prolific even by Shane Long standards. He's 32 now as well (and still to score a Premier league goal) so a little late for all that to change.

Whats selective about it? That's his Championship record from 2014-19 (ie the time he's been available to us). Judging goals based on appearances is an inferior measure to goals per minute, and using that more accurate measure McGoldricks record is much better than Premadonna's stated "best case scenario" of 1 in 4.
We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 5:54pm

Whats selective about it? That's his Championship record from 2014-19 (ie the time he's been available to us). Judging goals based on appearances is an inferior measure to goals per minute, and using that more accurate measure McGoldricks record is much better than Premadonna's stated "best case scenario" of 1 in 4.
Players get subbed off all the time, especially if they are a striker and they are not performing, you're just trying to manipulate the stats to make if sound like he scores more goals than he does. Top strikers don't need to resort to splitting hairs like that to try and justify themselves.
Mcgoldrick is a ten a season man in the championship and looks at best half that in the Prem. You can see from watching him yesterday he doesn't have a natural finisher technique or instinct, snatched badly at shots and crosses that came his way. His heading technique is a lot better. His virtue is in linking up and bring others in to play but that puts a lot of pressure on midfielders or wingers to step up and hit the net to compensate, which they will at Sheffield but not for Ireland. It is putting a huge amount of pressure on Hourihane to deliver and as of yet he's not been able to. That just leaves us dependent on defenders for goals, hence the feeble scoring record we are lumbered with. 
Still the best option up front we have currently all the same which says much about why we have no hope of scoring more than once against professional opposition.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 6:53pm

Players get subbed off all the time, especially if they are a striker and they are not performing, you're just trying to manipulate the stats to make if sound like he scores more goals than he does. Top strikers don't need to resort to splitting hairs like that to try and justify themselves.
Mcgoldrick is a ten a season man in the championship and looks at best half that in the Prem. You can see from watching him yesterday he doesn't have a natural finisher technique or instinct, snatched badly at shots and crosses that came his way. His heading technique is a lot better. His virtue is in linking up and bring others in to play but that puts a lot of pressure on midfielders or wingers to step up and hit the net to compensate, which they will at Sheffield but not for Ireland. It is putting a huge amount of pressure on Hourihane to deliver and as of yet he's not been able to. That just leaves us dependent on defenders for goals, hence the feeble scoring record we are lumbered with. 
Still the best option up front we have currently all the same which says much about why we have no hope of scoring more than once against professional opposition.

How dense do you have to be to not understand that judging a player on a goals to minute ratio examines their performance on a more precise basis than goals to games ratio? Any sort of understanding of basic statistics would confirm that. Good stats are derived from as precise information as possible;"1 game" is not a precise basis to judge something on because 1 game ranges from 0-90+ minutes. Obviously judging based on those minutes themselves is far more enlightening. If you're comparing two players for example, one who has 4 goals in 10 games and another who has 2 in 10, you might easily come to the conclusion that striker A is twice as prolific as striker B. If you did a little deeper though and see that it's taken striker A 900 minutes to score those 4 goals, whereas striker B only needed 100 to get his 2, then obviously that initial conclusion would need to be re-evaluated...
We're decent enough..
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 7:36pm
Hes not a striker though is he, he plays in the wes role just behind a 9, and he has been very good at that for Sheffiled this season.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 9:12pm

How dense do you have to be to not understand that judging a player on a goals to minute ratio examines their performance on a more precise basis than goals to games ratio? Any sort of understanding of basic statistics would confirm that. Good stats are derived from as precise information as possible;"1 game" is not a precise basis to judge something on because 1 game ranges from 0-90+ minutes. Obviously judging based on those minutes themselves is far more enlightening. If you're comparing two players for example, one who has 4 goals in 10 games and another who has 2 in 10, you might easily come to the conclusion that striker A is twice as prolific as striker B. If you did a little deeper though and see that it's taken striker A 900 minutes to score those 4 goals, whereas striker B only needed 100 to get his 2, then obviously that initial conclusion would need to be re-evaluated...
You're moving the goal post for every player though doing that, you can't just make it a per minute evaluation and then claim that is a less than 3 per game basis as you'd then have to do that for every other player he is being compared to as they are all getting subbed on and off at different times  so either way its the same whether you judge per minute or per game relative to other strikers he is equally unprolific in comparison so its just splitting hairs.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 11:14pm

You're moving the goal post for every player though doing that, you can't just make it a per minute evaluation and then claim that is a less than 3 per game basis as you'd then have to do that for every other player he is being compared to as they are all getting subbed on and off at different times  so either way its the same whether you judge per minute or per game relative to other strikers he is equally unprolific in comparison so its just splitting hairs.

What goalposts am I moving, exactly? I'm not the one who's set down any goalposts. The claim was made that McGoldrick's Championship record is "1 in 4 at best" emphasis on "at best". I've provided evidence that it's actually quite a bit better than that, "at best".
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 43>
  Share Topic