You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Crime Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 247248249250251 328>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 1:44pm
I think the important thing is to find out what Vogue Williams thinks 
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

These stories are absolute nonsense to me. 
But they are buried in the 'style' section of a website and don't feature prominently on the home pages or in print.
National newspapers cater for all audiences, I including people who like to keep up to date on this nonsense.

W

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

But they are buried in the 'style' section of a website and don't feature prominently on the home pages or in print.
National newspapers cater for all audiences, I including people who like to keep up to date on this nonsense.

W

Ah I understand all that, I just find it baffling how often this particular persons stories are pushed on twitter, while they (the paper) are simultaneously are being a serious media outlet. 
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 2:18pm

W

Ah I understand all that, I just find it baffling how often this particular persons stories are pushed on twitter, while they (the paper) are simultaneously are being a serious media outlet. 

I agree. It happened a few times but seems to have stopped 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 4:57pm

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Off the top of my head, I just can’t remember. In many cases they were shared on websites like these, and were often the scribes off policy and political wonks and enthusiasts. Many of them took time over their work and had citations, footnotes, links etc. The comments section was open forum. In reality, the issues were more esoteric and often involved modelling for political outcomes, or very unifying considerations for political outcomes. 

Basically, the only way the blog could be respected is if it was interesting, trustworthy, and above all, factual. Sadly, that has all gone out the window, especially as previously discredited styles of debate are in fashion, fact is replaced by narrative, and above all shouting louder and on a more repetitive basis is likely to get somebody heard.

So these blogs were so revolutionary, you can't even remember one?

These 'blogs' were not resourced and not able to gather,  edit and fact check news. That's what our media does. You are right about the noise,  and that's enhanced by the loons on the left and right who have polarised debate. Both every bit as bad as each other. 

Invariably, the media become a a target because every only sees one side on am argument 

Not revolutionary, but I thought it would raise the standard of media generally. As a result of not being able to fact check, in those days blogs had to rely on being as factual and high quality as possible. But the road ended for blogs around 2009/2010 and it was supplanted by “social media” and “independent media” which cares not for facts or editing, but pushing a narrative.

My point really is that there was once a chance for non MSM to do a service to the overall market-place of ideas and work in conjunction with it. Instead, the clowns of social media and independent media have risen to the top, and have declared war on the MSM, which to your point, remains the most valid and trustworthy source of media.

These 'blog's could not fact check so had to rely on being factual? That's a contradiction. 

Give me an example of independent media?
I know you're far better placed to correct me on this, but I subscribe to The Currency and The Athletic for long read articles. I consider them independent (at least until WSJ bought Athletic last week). What's the word in the industry on those? Are they all influenced by someone up top?
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 8:32pm
 https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0119/1274505-tullamore-murder-arrest/

A man has been charged at Tullamore District court with the murder of Ashling Murphy in Co Offaly.

31-year-old Jozef Puska, with an address at Lynally Grove in Tullamore, was brought before a special sitting of Tullamore District Court this evening.

He was remanded in custody for a week.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 9:05pm
Not sure the angry mob outside Tullamore court tonight is a great look. Could it not have been done by video link?

Seems like Irish men have been taking a hammering in the media for the last week for no good reason also.

That said, while Irish men have taken an unfair pummeling for the last week the last thing we need is for the same mob to turn on Slovakians in Ireland or Eastern Europeans in general because of the alleged actions of one man. Best to just let the justice system run its course now.

Edited by You Tell Me - 19 Jan 2022 at 9:07pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 9:07pm
Just sent it there on the news. Its like something from the 30s or 40s. A crowd waiting for them at the court house.  Like could this not be done at a secret location or something? I hope he gets exactly what he deserves but watching a baying mob on tv looks a little off putting. No?
I love beer gardens
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Not sure the angry mob outside Tullamore court tonight is a great look. Could it not have been done by video link?

Seems like Irish men have been taking a hammering in the media for the last week for no good reason also.

I was literally saying the same thing.
I love beer gardens
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 9:14pm
This perp walk type thing is completely unnecessary. More a show for the Garda who could easily have balls this up last week. He very easily have been out of the country if it wasn’t for the fella going to clontarf station.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 9:15pm

That said, while Irish men have taken an unfair pummeling for the last week the last thing we need is for the same mob to turn on Slovakians in Ireland or Eastern Europeans in general because of the alleged actions of one man. Best to just let the justice system run its course now.
A lot of talk in the media the last week about how men have to do more but what exactly is it they have to do? Like do men have to remind themselves when leaving the house not to attack any women they happen to see when out and about. Do they have to ring up their friends and remind them not to attack anyone either. Just seems the last week that’s the message out there from the media and politicians without anyone explaining what it is exactly men have to do. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

A lot of talk in the media the last week about how men have to do more but what exactly is it they have to do? Like do men have to remind themselves when leaving the house not to attack any women they happen to see when out and about. Do they have to ring up their friends and remind them not to attack anyone either. Just seems the last week that’s the message out there from the media and politicians without anyone explaining what it is exactly men have to do. 

It's social media marketing.  

Human beings have killed other human beings for thousands of years. They aren't going to stop because of a hashtag. The human brain is a bit more complex than that.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 10:16pm
The Garda trying to close the back doors of the van was like Rodney trying to get into the van after the chandelier scene in a  touch of glass. 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 10:18pm
I don't think it's a case of reminding yourself not to kill anyone throughout the course of the day, it's about the overall attitude of men towards women. It might be a minority but everyone of must have witnessed some form of harrassment towards women. Most of the whole SM angle is very toxic and virtue signaling though.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

I don't think it's a case of reminding yourself not to kill anyone throughout the course of the day, it's about the overall attitude of men towards women. It might be a minority but everyone of must have witnessed some form of harrassment towards women. Most of the whole SM angle is very toxic and virtue signaling though.

Well said, it’s not too hard to grasp? Men are the problem and if your mates make derogatory comments about women and you laugh it off you’re part of the problem! Call them out on it.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

This. 
And it’s been pointed out here a good few times in the last week but some still ignore it. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 10:41pm
People outside the court carrying babies screaming abuse, absolute weirdos. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 10:50pm

People outside the court carrying babies screaming abuse, absolute weirdos. 

And the scores of people filming it on their phones so they can post it on Facebook and say they were there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 247248249250251 328>
  Share Topic