You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Crime Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 241242243244245 328>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

An honest question here, not intending to undermine or demean anything that has happened by way of tributes to the poor girl

But is there a genuine reason why there has been such a reaction to this and very little for a father and husband who was shot dead in his front garden two weeks ago?

Not stirring it here. Just curious as to what others think 
Big call there Mark , now was thinking the same but didn't want to put anything up .
Think this horrible tragedy touched a nerve with so many people, the young woman seems to have been a beautiful soul and in many ways the type of daughter that any parent would wish for. I also think when of the recent similar tragedies in the UK occured that maybe we thought it couldnt happen here. RIP....how people from working class areas are perceived in Ireland is a totally different thing.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 4:07pm
The whole country is in mourning over this young girls death, at an athletics event in Santry they did a minutes silence, and the FAI are tweeting about it too.

Yet, an innocent father of 2 who gets murdered in his drive way and no one bats an eyelid.

Talk about a hierarchy of victims.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The whole country is in mourning over this young girls death, at an athletics event in Santry they did a minutes silence, and the FAI are tweeting about it too.

Yet, an innocent father of 2 who gets murdered in his drive way and no one bats an eyelid.

Talk about a hierarchy of victims.

Theres a presumption that when someone is shot in west dublin they are involved in crime and the victim accepted the risk. This dosent appear to be the case this time around.

AS for the young girls death, every politician jumps on band wagon and get the photo op in local n national rags, driving the momentum
Getting old and intolerant
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 10:48pm
It's the same as anything, the rarer something is, the more coverage it gets. Women don't get murdered by strangers very often, let alone young teachers out for a run. It also hit home more as it feels it could have been anyone. 

Middle aged men get killed often enough. Far less people would also feel that could've been them. Likewise the murder of the women on Dublin I mentioned previously. Not saying it's right at all, but it's the way it is. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 11:21pm

An honest question here, not intending to undermine or demean anything that has happened by way of tributes to the poor girl

But is there a genuine reason why there has been such a reaction to this and very little for a father and husband who was shot dead in his front garden two weeks ago?

I'm not for one second condoning it before I get attacked like I came up with this idea, but it's a thing that some cases get more attention to others, tend to be either attractive, people who play to the media, are upper class, or are people we can relate to.

Why do we all know Amanda Knox and Madeline McCann when there are thousands of others who go through similar. 

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 11:28pm
Must say, through this week I've been ahving a good think about what people can actually do. A lot of this called for governemtn to do something, and make new laws, I'm not sure what they can do at that level. I really think everyone needs to look at where they are on the pyramid below. If everyone were to tone their level down one level, the world would be a better place.

I've definitely seen stuff in Whatsapp groups, on Stags etc, that I'd have just laughed along with in years gone by, I'm hoping I have the balls to call it out. I think we're getting there, we all see new things every year that are no longer acceptable, maybe a combination of getting older but hopefully getting wiser too.

Even on the forum, are people going to start standing up to threads we had back in the Poland days, with some language that should be called out 12 years later? We all remember the "legendary" threads. I';ll probably be called a snowflake for this, but if we're serious about this, they're the posts that need to be called out. It may dampen the forum down further, but those little actions grow to bigger things

JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 12:17am

There was a woman killed by her husband down in greystone’s over the Christmas period....it got a 5/6 line report in the herald the next day.same crime,totally different reactions...why???

Edited by JUICEBOMB - 16 Jan 2022 at 12:17am
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 12:26am
Was that not Enniskerry? 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 12:39am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

There was a woman killed by her husband down in greystone’s over the Christmas period....it got a 5/6 line report in the herald the next day.same crime,totally different reactions...why???

Because it was a foreigner Shocked
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 1:01am

Husband isn’t the same as a random attack in broad daylight.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 1:12am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

It’ll be in the statistics of a man killing a women...same as what happened at the canal.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 1:16am

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

It’ll be in the statistics of a man killing a women...same as what happened at the canal.
You asked why there are different reactions. I told you why there are. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 6:43am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Even on the forum, are people going to start standing up to threads we had back in the Poland days, with some language that should be called out 12 years later? We all remember the "legendary" threads. I';ll probably be called a snowflake for this, but if we're serious about this, they're the posts that need to be called out. It may dampen the forum down further, but those little actions grow to bigger things

I don’t honestly think rehashing stuff from a decade ago and indeed longer, with a view to “standing up” to it will serve much of a purpose other than giving air to unacceptable comments. Many people who posted in those days have moved on from posting here for one reason or another. I say this in the full knowledge and admission that I played my own part over the years in a lot of the stuff you allude to and has been alluded to by one or two others on here since this horrendous murder.

I think it would be much better, and is incumbent on us all, but particularly myself and other mods, to ensure that things change when it comes to how women are labelled etc on here. It is certainly something I will be upping my game on. We all have mothers, sisters or other female relatives, most have wives or partners and female friends we care about and would be horrified if they were subject to such derogatory language or comments.

With that in mind, remember that we cant read and see everything that is posted (not helped by the current level of spam posts we deal with that you lot never see), so screaming blue murder that something has not been deleted etc isn't helping either. Call it out without quoting the post, the more its quoted, the harder it is to remove.

Edited by Sham157 - 16 Jan 2022 at 6:45am
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

I don’t honestly think rehashing stuff from a decade ago and indeed longer, with a view to “standing up” to it will serve much of a purpose other than giving air to unacceptable comments. Many people who posted in those days have moved on from posting here for one reason or another. I say this in the full knowledge and admission that I played my own part over the years in a lot of the stuff you allude to and has been alluded to by one or two others on here since this horrendous murder.

I think it would be much better, and is incumbent on us all, but particularly myself and other mods, to ensure that things change when it comes to how women are labelled etc on here. It is certainly something I will be upping my game on. We all have mothers, sisters or other female relatives, most have wives or partners and female friends we care about and would be horrified if they were subject to such derogatory language or comments.

With that in mind, remember that we cant read and see everything that is posted (not helped by the current level of spam posts we deal with that you lot never see), so screaming blue murder that something has not been deleted etc isn't helping either. Call it out without quoting the post, the more its quoted, the harder it is to remove.
No, I absolutely wasn't taling about cleaning up the past, like you said, it's about all of us upping our game and doing our part. All well and good all of us being outraged on this thread, but if there's silly language being used in other threads, we're being hyporcites.

It's not a mod thing, we all need to take it upon ourselves
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 10:14am
Middle aged father of 3 living in tullamore is the suspect, and it seems this time they got the right man. 

Anyone see the Irish Freedom Party holding a “mans novena” over a PA drowning out the vigil for Ashling Murphy in Galway yesterday? Load of middle aged virgins on their knees. Arseholes. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 11:09am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Middle aged father of 3 living in tullamore is the suspect, and it seems this time they got the right man. 

Anyone see the Irish Freedom Party holding a “mans novena” over a PA drowning out the vigil for Ashling Murphy in Galway yesterday? Load of middle aged virgins on their knees. Arseholes. 

Seen that! Bunch of c**ts.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 11:25am

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

[QUOTE
No, I absolutely wasn't taling about cleaning up the past, like you said, it's about all of us upping our game and doing our part. All well and good all of us being outraged on this thread, but if there's silly language being used in other threads, we're being hyporcites.

It's not a mod thing, we all need to take it upon ourselves

There was a time that there was a significant amount of women who posted on here:  like many male posters they have stopped posting due to various reasons.  However unlike the male posters they have not been replaced by other females posting on here.  I have long thought that the forum has become a cold house for female posters.  None of us our perfect and have probably posted stuff we would like deleted but some other stuff has been horrendous over the years and that’s not with revisionism.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Southstandman View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southstandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 11:43am
Eye for an eye - then it stops . 
We are Shamrock Rovers we"re Irelands number 1 .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 241242243244245 328>
  Share Topic