You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Crime Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 239240241242243 328>
Author
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangSally22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 1:22pm
Cheers Paulie Smile
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

I clearly said serial offenders followed by an example of a burglar....Im not suggesting it for a single previous offence or in the case less serious offences not against a person/s. The wording in your first sentence is disingenuous to my point.

I propose those in the position to do so make it happen, ie the legislators. They can and have come up with laws very quickly when it suits, the issue around the very serious constitutional challenge (right to a defence ) in sexual offences against a minor some years back being an example. 

The use of innocent until proven guilty is great, but in the case of either very serious, or serial offenders, its wearing thin with the very public these laws are supposedly meant to protect. If theres enough evidence to charge these people, bearing in mind the DPP only charge where the evidential threshold is reached, then they should be remanded without prejudice until trial. Thats the case for those unlucky enough to be refused bail.

Sorry, I should have said 'repeatedly convicted'. But even at that I think that there may be constitutional issues with laws that might be created in limiting bail in that regard. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about legislature stepping into the shoes of the public to appease what is a populist sentiment. Government's tend to run with a "law and order" mantra, and in countries where law is an issue of the populist whim, the results are bad (America being a prime example, where at levels Judges are elected).

I suppose the question is what about the people who are ultimately vindicated in court, and released? Inherently, is there a right to take away somebody's right to liberty as they await trial. That is not to say there are not people who commit crimes while on bail. There is no question that the decision to grant bail was wrong. But by comparison, the vast majority await bail, and turn up for trial. Enough evidence to proceed with prosecution is a world of difference to sufficient evidence to convict.  
If its a constitutional issue, then let the people decive by referendum, its been good enough for other issues so why not crime. 

Protecting the general public is now populist? This is a go to phrase used against anyone who dare question the status quo.

There has been, there is and will be people held in Cloverhill who go on to be vindicated. What do they do? Again, liberty should only be restricted where the most serious of charges are brought and/orvwhere there is a clear history of offending.

I do think, notwithstanding the thread title that this is going off the topic as it currently stands. We can go around in circles disagreeing all day long.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 1:47pm

If its a constitutional issue, then let the people decive by referendum, its been good enough for other issues so why not crime.

There was a referendum in 1996 which greatly restricted the right to bail, in the event the Court determined such a restriction was necessary. This can be exercised by the court, and has been. Anything further will not have a material difference, and to start amending the constitutional right in a piecemeal way would undoubtedly give rise to serious contradiction. Or if it was to have a material difference it would pre-determine a right to bail, before anything has been heard. This would influence the judicial function. 

Protecting the general public is now populist? This is a go to phrase used against anyone who dare question the status quo.

Absolutism about 'law and oder' is populist, and parties regularly like to hang their hat on being 'tough on crime'. Fine Gael have been at it for some time. At the far end of the extreme you have elected judges in American campaigning on 'tougher sentences' etc, which means that justice is at the whim of the populace. Populism is a thing, it is not a dirty word, and it is not an attempt at silencing dissenting view. But it is understanding that issues might not be best determined subject to populist whim. A prime example being the 2004-2007 decision to cut taxes and ramp up spending. Inherently that benefits all people, but how that was implemented left us with a huge structural deficit. 

There has been, there is and will be people held in Cloverhill who go on to be vindicated. What do they do? Again, liberty should only be restricted where the most serious of charges are brought and/orvwhere there is a clear history of offending.

I see your limitations, but I disagree that awaiting trial for a serious offence should mean the automatic refusal of bail, and that has a number of reasons. Some relate to fundamental rights, and others go to public policy. Equally, recidivism and bad character does not necessarily mean that you should be held on some sort of preventative basis. In fact, bad character evidence at trial, while admissible, is highly limited.

I do think, notwithstanding the thread title that this is going off the topic as it currently stands. We can go around in circles disagreeing all day long.

Fair enough. 
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 3:38pm
Social media really is a curse at times.

I see they have photos circulating now of a fella riding a bike that may or may not be the one that the Gardai posted.

People again looking for back slaps on forums instead of sending directly to the Gardai. 

It's a dangerous game particularly with the amount of anger in and around Tullamore at the moment
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

In 2009 a local Galway man murdered a  Swiss girl Manuela Riedo as she walked home to her place in Renmore.  He was known to the GARDA and had previous offences against women and was free to walk the streets.

There is no justice.  Only law.

I was in college in Galway at the time and it really shook the city. It was horrific and shamefully it was the first time it became really apparent to me how different life was for my mates who are women. 

Manuela is always the first person I think of when stories like this crop up

notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by MustangSally22 MustangSally22 wrote:

Apologies for the incredibly long winded first post, as I mentioned I just felt the conversation needed a female perspective Thumbs Up

Well said and welcome to the forum 
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Social media really is a curse at times.

I see they have photos circulating now of a fella riding a bike that may or may not be the one that the Gardai posted.

People again looking for back slaps on forums instead of sending directly to the Gardai. 

It's a dangerous game particularly with the amount of anger in and around Tullamore at the moment

I really despair at people's stupidity 
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 4:00pm
Remember that league of Ireland player that was done for sexual assault, he got a suspended sentence. Ended up being deported. Would we be happy with having someone like that on the team because they score goals. Everyone says no until the team starts winning.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Remember that league of Ireland player that was done for sexual assault, he got a suspended sentence. Ended up being deported. Would we be happy with having someone like that on the team because they score goals. Everyone says no until the team starts winning.

No. Regardless if the team was winning. 
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 5:19pm

Bizarre post
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Bizarre post
No surprise given who posted it. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 5:22pm
I heard on the bulletin that the guards are discreetly keeping an eye on another suspect and one of the papers online say a suspect is been treated in hospital who the guards want to talk to. I would love to know how is this stuff geting out into the media?? Its absolutely disgraceful if you ask me. Same last night. Its making things worse i thinknpeople speculating all sorts.
I love beer gardens
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 5:50pm
I hope the GARDA dont make a total bungle f**k up of this.  As said how is this sh*t being leaked?  
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I heard on the bulletin that the guards are discreetly keeping an eye on another suspect and one of the papers online say a suspect is been treated in hospital who the guards want to talk to. I would love to know how is this stuff geting out into the media?? Its absolutely disgraceful if you ask me. Same last night. Its making things worse i thinknpeople speculating all sorts.

On the flip side, can give people reassurance there's not someone out and about who could strike again 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

On the flip side, can give people reassurance there's not someone out and about who could strike again 

Thsts presuming they have the right person this time. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

In 2009 a local Galway man murdered a  Swiss girl Manuela Riedo as she walked home to her place in Renmore.  He was known to the GARDA and had previous offences against women and was free to walk the streets.

There is no justice.  Only law.

I was in college in Galway at the time and it really shook the city. It was horrific and shamefully it was the first time it became really apparent to me how different life was for my mates who are women. 

Manuela is always the first person I think of when stories like this crop up

Poor Manuela Cry
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Bizarre post

This.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 9:47pm
Didn't the boyfriend of the girl who was raped and murdered over in Japan play in the LOI? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 239240241242243 328>
  Share Topic