You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Crime Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151152153154155 325>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 2:31pm
Must be very ruff on the owner.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Must be very ruff on the owner.
And his chum they just haven’t the pedigree for this business 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 8:10am
Apparently the fella who was caught on camera racially abusing and physically assaulting a taxi man on Easter Sunday is handing himself in. Absolute scumbag.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 8:38am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Apparently the fella who was caught on camera racially abusing and physically assaulting a taxi man on Easter Sunday is handing himself in. Absolute scumbag.

Bet it's the worst hangover he ever had. f**king clown. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 8:55am
I'd never usually hope that someone loses a job over a drunken night out because it can happen quite easily and to anyone, but I make an exception in this case. Looking at the video, I was hoping the taxi man was going to start punching the head off him.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 5:21pm
Listening to the details of this case on Ana Kriegel in Lucan. Horrible.

Surprised to hear the 2 teenage suspects have pleaded 'Not Guilty' given the evidence appears stacked against them.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:30am

Surprised to hear the 2 teenage suspects have pleaded 'Not Guilty' given the evidence appears stacked against them.
You can see them eventually pleading guilty.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:45am
Children do not have to receive the mandatory life sentence for murder, incidentally.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 9:10am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Children do not have to receive the mandatory life sentence for murder, incidentally.
Not very mandatory then
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 9:14am
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

You can see them eventually pleading guilty.

Wouldn't have made it to court if it was my daughter. Would happily serve 30 years to see them get what they deserve
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:40am

Is the defence's ploy to negotiate a lesser charge of manslaughter or death by misadventure so, given their not guilty plea?

What is the minimum sentence for each of these?

Edited by Lenny82 - 01 May 2019 at 10:28pm
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:55pm
I'd made an assumption that one of these was a sick little f**k, and the other lad was brought into it. But from reading the report it would suggest one did the killing but the other was just as complicit and they had 'unusual interests' which will come out. Which makes it highly unusual. 

The age of them as well. f**king horrible what happened to her 

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 2:14pm

Is the defence's ploy to negotiate a lesser charge of manslaughter or death by misadventure so, given their not guilty plea?

What is the minimum sentence for each of these?

There is no minimum sentence for manslaughter. Theoretically, on conviction, someone being sentenced for manslaughter could get something like a fine, probation or a suspended sentence. However, save for the most (or maybe more accurately least) extreme manslaughter cases, non-custodial sentences are rare, in particular in the absence of a guilty plea. Where something like that may occur is in the context of, for example, a gross negligence manslaughter trial where a death occurs in a workplace setting, although more regularly they are taken as Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act prosecutions. In a case where an employer is being sentenced, there may be little to be gained in sending a director of a company to jail, particularly if they are running a company and providing employment to a number of people which may suffer if they go to jail, where a heavy fine doesn't harm the employment of other people. It all depends on the case but there are circumstances where someone guilty of manslaughter will not go to jail.

Minors, however, cannot be sentenced to imprisonment but can be sentenced to detention. The difference may seem academic but it is important, in that minors should not be serving sentences in the same place with adults. I do not know what happens if, for example, a 15 year old is sentenced to 10 years detention; I don't deal with minors often and I've never dealt with a case where a minor has received a detention sentence that takes them past their 18th birthday. There is case law that seems to allow a sentencing judge to have a review of the matter after a number of years although I don't know how that works with minors. Arguably, that may more properly be a matter for the parole board. However, and this may come as a surprise, the parole board in Ireland is not on any manner of statutory footing and is run on a non-statutory basis by the Department of Justice, so there is a lack of guiding legislation. In those circumstances, it seems to be allowable to have a review by the sentencing judge, or to leave the matter for the parole board.

In terms of pleading to manslaughter, it is certainly something that might have been explored. It is possible that the defence have asked the prosecution if they would accept a plea of manslaughter, on a without prejudice basis, with that being rejected. That can happen in murder cases. Sometimes, it is possible that the prosecution would say they cannot answer without a definite offer being made; sometimes, they may informally say they would accept a manslaughter plea on the basis of certain accepted facts; sometimes, they may reject it out of hand. However, it is not possible to know what happened in this case. In any murder case, it is possible that an informal, without prejudice question could be asked by the defence to the prosecution, prior to the trial, without having received formal instructions to enter a plea of guilty to manslaughter, or any admission having been made by the accused person to his legal representatives. That way, the representatives for the accused person are not in breach of any ethical duty if they then fight the case fully. A defence lawyer can ask their client if they want the lawyer to ask if such a plea would be accepted by the prosecution, to enable them to make a decision if they want to plead to manslaughter, without the lawyer having to ask the client if they accept responsibility. A lawyer cannot mislead the court as to their instructions or put forward a case at odds with their instructions but that does not stop a lawyer asking the prosecution if a plea to manslaughter would, if offered, be accepted. If that is not accepted by the prosecution, the fact it was asked can, potentially and depending on the exact case, be offered as mitigation, although it is nowhere near as strong as an actual plea of guilty to manslaughter, which is a plea that ought to be entered at the start of the trial. As such an offer is informal, there is no record of it.

I say this all by way of general comment, specifically without regard to the current case. Everyone commenting in a public way needs to be careful what they say, to avoid any risks of mistrial. There is no indication of any offer being made or not being made or anything like that happening or not happening in this case. In my quote, I removed the last sentence of your post, and suggest you edit and do likewise.
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 3:03pm
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/love-rival-verdict-patrick-quirke-found-guilty-of-murdering-mr-moonlight-dj-bobby-ryan-38049035.html

Think it's likely that he did it but beyond a reasonable doubt? Not for me, was surprised to see this one make it to court tbh, stunned by a guilty verdict!
Here we go again
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 3:06pm
This is from that Indo article: "Her testimony gripped the nation and the truth she spoke was unmistakeable. She could not be shaken by the defence, no matter how hard they tried."

F**k me, editorialising much?!
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 3:10pm

This is from that Indo article: "Her testimony gripped the nation and the truth she spoke was unmistakeable. She could not be shaken by the defence, no matter how hard they tried."

i'd say gerk is behind that. he must of banged her at a stag in Thurles years ago

Edited by LO SCIENZIATO - 01 May 2019 at 4:12pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 3:42pm

LOL
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 5:11am
It must be heartbreaking for her parents listening to how she was murdered, especially knowing the bullying she was subjected to leading up to her murder. It seems like she was a bullying target for a number of groups of teenagers. What the f*ck is wrong with those young lads.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151152153154155 325>
  Share Topic