You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Crime Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 112113114115116 328>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Downpatrick there's a surprise. I've a pal who was violently and sexually assaulted up there

Same here. My friend went out one night in DPK as he calls it and had the same experience. Two lads made a mess of him. Dont know why he never got the cops or rape crisis centre involved.
In the South, it's a legal obligation in many jobs to report it if someone has told you as the person might do it again.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Downpatrick there's a surprise. I've a pal who was violently and sexually assaulted up there

Same here. My friend went out one night in DPK as he calls it and had the same experience. Two lads made a mess of him. Dont know why he never got the cops or rape crisis centre involved.

In the South, it's a legal obligation in many jobs to report it if someone has told you as the person might do it again.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Sorry, I should have said if an adult tells you that they were sexually assaulted as a a child then it's law, for certain job holders. 
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

What the f**k Confused

Must remember never to go to Downpatrick

Wtf indeed how come this has never made the news 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 9:23pm
so let’s get this straight, you both know people who were sexually assaulted in Downpatrick? 
Two different people I assume?
I know it’s a rough enough town at times but never heard anything like that,don’t live too far from it 
DonkeyOatey View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonkeyOatey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 9:56pm
I have heard some horrific stories from DPK
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by DonkeyOatey DonkeyOatey wrote:

who the hell calls it DPK Confused

I am with Baggio on this
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
DonkeyOatey View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonkeyOatey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

who the hell calls it DPK Confused

I am with Baggio on this

The chap from DPK calls it...DPK. He's not Fully there anyway LOL
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 10:58pm
Went to school in Downpatrick, called DPK a lot. It has rough areas but no worse than any other big towns I would have thought.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 11:05pm

Me too! In fairness, all of them were on here.
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 12:12am
don't know if it's been brought up here before but I was watching primetime tonight and how that lad in Galway only got 6 years for raping 3 girls in foster care from the ages of 4-11 yrs old is unbelievable.some serious failings in the HSE involved in the case but when you seen that scum get 18yrs for seriously attacking that poor lady and some absolute dirt  rape 3 kids gets only 6 yrs it'd make your blood boil... 
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 2:20am
What may have been a factor was that he was between 14 and 18 at the time himself. I'm not saying any of that excuses anything that happened but it was clearly a factor the judge had to take into account in sentencing. I can't find much about what was said at his sentencing hearing so I don't know for sure. It doesn't make it any better but the age of an offender is always a factor in sentencing.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 8:28am
Would it be considered that this guy will re offend?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 9:43am
Then the priest who gets off with an 18 month suspended sentence cos he's old and immobile.

f**k off judge and I hope the priest gets a bullet in his head after he has his mickey surgically removed.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Would it be considered that this guy will re offend?

Risk of reoffending is a factor in sentencing, yes. However, it depends if the Probation Service were involved. They might not have assessed him.

Also, and this may surprise you, sex pests are less likely to reoffend than general criminals. Though think about it: a huge percentage of crimes are committed by junkies (all those thefts and burglaries) and lads who keep driving without insurance. Sex pests, once they are caught, tend to be known as sex pests and don't tend to have the same access to children again.
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 11:32pm
he had 40 plus offences of rape,buggary etc....I can't see why he can be sentenced for each offence!!!! 40 offences then a year for each one....how somebody can rape 3 different girls probably 100's of times and get sentenced for it as one crime is bizarre 
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 12:00am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

he had 40 plus offences of rape,buggary etc....I can't see why he can be sentenced for each offence!!!! 40 offences then a year for each one....how somebody can rape 3 different girls probably 100's of times and get sentenced for it as one crime is bizarre 

Just watched it tonight myself. What were his parents doing while all this was going on? Surely they have some accountability in all of this considering there had been allegations and then he was allowed access to the children again.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 1:30am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

I agree and I don't agree. You are sentencing the offender, not the offence, remember. There is a principle of totality, as well.

If you are a burglar and get caught, you get sentenced, say a year. If you do it again when you are released, you get caught and get sentenced again, for a longer period, say two years... because it takes into account the fact that you have reoffended having previously been sentenced, punished and given an opportunity at rehabilitation. But if you are sentenced for both offences at the same time, having been caught after committing both, you have to take account of the fact that person hasn't been caught, punished and given the warning to stop and the chance to rehabilitate. In that case, you are likely to get more than a year, but less than two. Would you disagree with a burglar in that case getting a one year sentence for the first offence, with a second year suspended for the second offence? I say that, assuming there is a base level of one year for a burglary. I'm not asking if you disagree with the length of sentence, I'm asking if you disagree with the principle in that case. The moral culpability of a person committing an offence again, after having been caught previously, is higher than the moral culpability of a person who hasn't been caught at all.

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with the sentence in this case, or that the issue of totality was correctly applied, but it does have to be taken into account.

Here's another example: if you drive without insurance once, you will lose your licence and get fined. If you drive without insurance a second time, you will, probably, get a much longer ban and a higher fine, maybe a suspended sentence. If you do it a third time, you will almost certainly go to jail. Now, imagine a situation where the Gardai have you on CCTV driving without insurance three days in a row and charge you with an offence for each day: do you deserve to be sentenced three times? I'm not comparing it to rape, I'm simply giving it as an example of repeat offending. Should the sentence be triple? If there is CCTV evidence of you doing it for a month, or for the sake of argument 40 times, should you be fined 40 times? Or locked up for years? Where do you draw the line? Say it was someone who already had three or four previous convictions for driving without insurance and drink driving, would you give four months for each one? Or the maximum of six months? Would you lock him up for 240 months (40 x 6 months, or 20 years) for repeatedly driving without insurance? Or would you look at the overall level of offending, the circumstances of the offender in front of you, the impact on victims, the need for punishment, deterrence and rehabilitation, and sentence him to a few months or a year? I think the answer is obvious, on that example. There is no reason for a different principle to apply to different cases. You have to take into account the totality of the suffering of the victims of crime as well, obviously. Neither is a simple matter of deciding a sentence and multiplying it by the number of offences.

There is a good reason there is a principle of totality and a principle that you sentence the offender, not the offence. If you start sentencing for each offence, rather than taking into account the offender appearing in court, you end up with people being given 200 year sentences for drug offences, if they have been caught a few times. That leads to mass incarceration of defined groups of society (whether it be African Americans in the US, or whatever) and doesn't help anyone.

Maybe this lad should have got a 20 year sentence, maybe not. But I cannot agree that if one charge of rape equals six years that, somehow, 40 charges of rape therefor automatically equals 240 years, or that it should.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 26 Apr 2018 at 1:33am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 112113114115116 328>
  Share Topic