You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Crime Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 240241242243244 325>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by MustangSally22 MustangSally22 wrote:

First time poster... long term lurker!! Smile Young (ish) female football fanatic and I really just felt compelled to comment on this particular topic! There’s been some questionable conversations in the past on this forum regarding women that have deterred me from posting. Users posting pictures of potential dates and voting on who should have their back doors smashed in, who’s a ditch pig, if someone’s lips mean they’ll give good blow jobs, rusty sheriffs badges etc etc.. At times I’ve found the comments stomach churning and degrading. However, I’m not naïve enough to think that women don’t objectify men. I’ve been at hen parties where male bystanders have had their personal space invaded, their privates groped and mauled. Now some of those men may have actually enjoyed the experience!! but it still doesn’t make it right. Similarly we had an older lady who worked in our office who preyed on the younger men and she would literally find any excuse to touch them or initiate some form of contact and the gents in question were clearly uncomfortable and commented regularly on her inappropriate behaviour. Having said all that unfortunately the statistics clearly demonstrate that its not women repeatedly killing men in this country – it’s the opposite. Can anyone tell me of a case where a man went running in broad daylight, in an area named after another man who went missing many moons beforehand in a similar incident? No. I think its time that we ALL need to understand and realise that there is a connection between these minor acts of misogyny – comments, jokes, banter – and acts of violence. These acts contribute to a culture which dehumanises women and ultimately leads to us to be seen as objects. If anything else this senseless murder has thought me, is that I need to spend more time educating my Son about respect and attitudes and not just to focus on teaching my daughters about safe times and areas to walk in or mechanisms to deal with unwanted attention. It really doesn’t matter what nationality or ethnic background the perpetrator is from. Does that make a difference to the Murphy family? No it certainly does not. Ultimately, another women has lost her life prematurely. 

Great post and welcome to the forum. I bring my daughters regularly to LOI and Ireland matches and have generally found them to be welcoming places for them. Always a few knuckle draggers unfortunately 
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Didn't the boyfriend of the girl who was raped and murdered over in Japan play in the LOI? 
He did yeah for a good few years.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 10:45pm
An honest question here, not intending to undermine or demean anything that has happened by way of tributes to the poor girl

But is there a genuine reason why there has been such a reaction to this and very little for a father and husband who was shot dead in his front garden two weeks ago?

Not stirring it here. Just curious as to what others think 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

An honest question here, not intending to undermine or demean anything that has happened by way of tributes to the poor girl

But is there a genuine reason why there has been such a reaction to this and very little for a father and husband who was shot dead in his front garden two weeks ago?

I think because some may think their is a back story to the murder in Dublin where the murder in Tullamore appears to be totally random and lots of women feel it could be them and men think it could be their sister daughter wife gf or mother etc.  

AKA pedantic kunt
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I think because some may think their is a back story to the murder in Dublin where the murder in Tullamore appears to be totally random and lots of women feel it could be them and men think it could be their sister daughter wife gf or mother etc.  

But hasn't it been pretty much confirmed that there is no back story as such, other than asking people to leave a party after a row? Something to that effect. That could also be any half decent human being really. He was by all accounts a decent, hard working community and family man. 

I don't know. Curious 

MustangSally22 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangSally22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 11:24pm
that's a really good question. with so many shootings and gangland feuds in recent times, when we hear of another one, I wonder do we just assume the victim was involved in some sort of criminal activity and that they must be the author of their own misfortune? Therefore all empathy goes out the window? I can admit that was my own initial reaction and I certainly jumped to conclusions without knowing the facts. Perhaps its the way the media play out the story. The tone and narrative they set?

Edited by MayoMark - 14 Jan 2022 at 11:34pm
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 11:28pm

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

But hasn't it been pretty much confirmed that there is no back story as such, other than asking people to leave a party after a row? Something to that effect. That could also be any half decent human being really. He was by all accounts a decent, hard working community and family man. 

I don't know. Curious 

They actually ruled out a row at house party now. 

Could have been anything:
Mistaken identity
Random
Had historic beef with someone
Got into beef with the wrong person in the gym

With the murder of the teacher it was called out very early by police as random which sets off alarm bells and considering she was a young pretty teacher just out for a run, it is just a matter of fact that the murder of the country girl is more shocking that another shooting in ballyer

Edited by t_rAndy - 14 Jan 2022 at 11:28pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 11:31pm
there is always less sympathy for working class Dublin males in their 50s than female teachers from the country in their 20s. 

Public Empathy is complex but It largely comes down to how likely do people feel they could be the victim or related to the victim and can they envisage that being them.  

To many people outside of Dublin, a murder in a Dublin suburb of working class male doesn’t strike home as much and it has a whiff of gangland about it even if that’s not the case at all which it clearly isn’t in that case.  Peoples reaction is generally visceral and not overly considered. 

AKA pedantic kunt
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 11:34pm
That's really sad. I know that that is the case Balders. At least that was my instinct. But it's extremely sad. I don't think one is more tragic than the other on the face of it. The pain is certainly no less for the family. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 11:40pm

That's really sad. I know that that is the case Balders. At least that was my instinct. But it's extremely sad. I don't think one is more tragic than the other on the face of it. The pain is certainly no less for the family. 

Truth is humans are always thinking of themselves even when they appear to be thinking of others.  People are more likely to give to charities that strike a chord with them, they don’t do a objective analysis of what is the most worthy. The same with sympathy and empathy, it’s what strikes a chord and what they relate to. Also as a young female is seen as more Vulnerable than a working class man in his 50s from Dublin.  Again this is largely instinct rather than any conscious decision.  The poor woman who was murder this time last year got very little coverage either as she was not Irish.  It’s horrible when you over analyse it but it’s always the case.   
AKA pedantic kunt
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 11:52pm

that's a really good question. with so many shootings and gangland feuds in recent times, when we hear of another one, I wonder do we just assume the victim was involved in some sort of criminal activity and that they must be the author of their own misfortune? Therefore all empathy goes out the window? I can admit that was my own initial reaction and I certainly jumped to conclusions without knowing the facts. Perhaps its the way the media play out the story. The tone and narrative they set?

Sorry Sally, I don't know how to approve your post on the phone and I ended up editing it by mistake!!

I'd be lying if I said my initial reaction wasn't the same. But when more detail came out of course we realised how awful it was. What it must have been like for his poor wife and child. Just shocking 

Welcome aboard by the way  
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 12:22am
AKA pedantic kunt
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 12:26am
What does this mean..However, he believed the eyes of the man they were seeking were a different colour from his. 

Do they know what colour the attackars eyes are?
I love beer gardens
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 6:46am

Sorry Sally, I don't know how to approve your post on the phone and I ended up editing it by mistake!!

I'd be lying if I said my initial reaction wasn't the same. But when more detail came out of course we realised how awful it was. What it must have been like for his poor wife and child. Just shocking 

Welcome aboard by the way  
Scroll down to the bottom and select classic mode. Should do the trick.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 7:32am
I think it’s far more surprising to hear of a young girl murdered in daylight in rural Ireland than it is to hear of a man being shot dead in Dublin these days. 

Obviously that shouldn’t be the case, but we’ve become accustomed to shootings in Dublin or other urban areas. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 10:42am
RTE reporting that Ashling really fought back against killer and they have the killers DNA. Fair play to her Cry
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 11:18am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

RTE reporting that Ashling really fought back against killer and they have the killers DNA. Fair play to her Cry
Cry cant help but imagine the terror the poor girl went through as it was happening. Absolutely heartbreaking. 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 2:47pm

Big call there Mark , now was thinking the same but didn't want to put anything up .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 240241242243244 325>
  Share Topic