You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Crime Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 149150151152153 325>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 12:31pm
He was not acquitted. The State just said they no longer wanted to proceed. They are entitled to do that.

He could be retried but I doubt it. I've heard rumours as to why it collapsed but nothing solid and can't post them here.
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 2:04pm
Read these 2 articles yesterday that were listed back to back on the website:

"Odunlami’s two previous minor convictions are for theft and possession of knives."

"A JUDGE HAS jailed a 48-year-old homeless Polish man after he called a Catholic priest “a motherf**ker” outside St Peter and Paul Pro-Cathedral in Ennis last month.

It really shows how f**ked up the judicial system is in this country!
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

He was not acquitted. The State just said they no longer wanted to proceed. They are entitled to do that.

He could be retried but I doubt it. I've heard rumours as to why it collapsed but nothing solid and can't post them here.

Thumbs Up
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

"Odunlami’s two previous minor convictions are for theft and possession of knives."

"A JUDGE HAS jailed a 48-year-old homeless Polish man after he called a Catholic priest “a motherf**ker” outside St Peter and Paul Pro-Cathedral in Ennis last month.

I assume when they say minor, they mean District Court. They're still convictions of course. The lad in Ennis, by comparison, had 40 convictions, almost all as a result of his alcohol problem, it would seem.

The number and type of previous convictions plays a big part in sentencing. If these positions were reversed, the Lusk lad would have got anywhere from eighteen months to three years and the Ennis lad anywhere from a €50 fine or some manner of probation supervision to a suspended sentence.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

I assume when they say minor, they mean District Court. They're still convictions of course. The lad in Ennis, by comparison, had 40 convictions, almost all as a result of his alcohol problem, it would seem.

The number and type of previous convictions plays a big part in sentencing. If these positions were reversed, the Lusk lad would have got anywhere from eighteen months to three years and the Ennis lad anywhere from a €50 fine or some manner of probation supervision to a suspended sentence.

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 6:36pm
Lawyered or not, the fact that a lad can take a knife out with the intent to mug people and use it to threaten someone for the purposes of stealing personal belongings and get away with community service is just wrong. Its literally a split second away from potentially being murder. 
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Im no legal expert and yes you cannot be tried for the same crime twice, if acquited.

Case collapsing is a different thing.

I think you can be tried again if new evidence appears.

Provided as I say you have NOT been acquited.

I was hearing we did away with the "double jeopardy" thing a while back, so Hutch could get charged again if "compelling" evidence emerged.  As Dave said though, this is unlikely.

The emails surrounding four gardai probably have major significance and "a major error of judgement" seemed to be in the case of Colm Fox.

Feud won't be stopping any time soon that's for sure.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Local drug dispute it seems Zach had a drug debt. 

Surely they'll not kill you over a drug debt. They can never collect on it now he is dead and will have all manner of attention from the guards that they didn't have before. 
It means that if anyone else owes them a debt, they'll pay up.

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 6:28am
Was reading the article on the journal about Michael Shine;

He said the mitigating factors were Shine’s age, his health challenges, his good work record, his being held in high regard by his family and that there was a possibility of him dying while imprisoned.

I understand the health issues and age factors, but how the f*ck can his good work record (where he committed his offences), and the regard he is held in by his family, credible mitigating factors?
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 8:36am
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 9:08am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Scumbags. ffs. 
Pointless too. What can they gain from that type of crime? And it's not like they can go home and brag about it
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Scumbags. ffs. 
Pointless too. What can they gain from that type of crime? And it's not like they can go home and brag about it

Scandalous. I can’t see what real mitigation there can be in this case. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 3:22pm
So who got whacked in clondalkin? 
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 3:36pm
Rovers fans ahead of tonight's game.
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 4:18pm
Saw Joe O'Reilly is up for parole after only 10 years of a life sentence. That's just wrong
Some people just deserve a slap
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 4:21pm
He's entitled to apply. He's not going to get it. Everyone is entitled to apply.

Average length of time served by murder convicts getting released in Ireland is around 20 years.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/life-sentence-prisoners-served-on-average-18-years-before-being-released-1.3651950

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/new-12-year-minimum-sentence-for-murder-to-be-set-1.3490994

Originally posted by the first article the first article wrote:

"Life sentence prisoners released from Irish jails last year had served an average of 18 years, the Parole Board has said.

Of the 21 life sentence prisoners recommended for parole in 2017, eight had no previous convictions before they committed a murder and were jailed for life."

"In 2011, the average length of a concluding life sentence reached 20 years for the first time. And the following year, 2012, life sentence prisoners released from jail had served an average of 22 years."

"The Parole Board can begin reviewing a life sentence prisoner after they have served seven years.

However, several reviews and another decade will elapse before the vast majority of life prisoners are recommended for freedom, or parole, by the board.

Once prisoners are recommended for parole, the minister of the day can approve or reject the recommendation.

If approved for release by the minster, lifers are generally granted temporary periods of freedom – from several hours, to a day or a weekend – to gradually prepare them to be freed and reintegrated back into society.

Once freed, they are at liberty under licence for the rest of their lives and can be returned to prison if recommended during annual reviews by the Probation Service."

Originally posted by the second article the second article wrote:

"The shortest term for murder in recent years was served by Stephen Doyle, who spent 13 1/3 years inside. The board released Mr Doyle because of his efforts at reform, including setting up an organisation while in prison to assist ex-inmates."

Edited by SuperDave84 - 01 Mar 2019 at 4:28pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Saw Joe O'Reilly is up for parole after only 10 years of a life sentence. That's just wrong

Standard practice. Almost No one ever gets  it 1st time around. He'll do at least another 7-10 years before he has any chance even then he's not guaranteed 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 01 Mar 2019 at 4:27pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 9:56pm
Dunleavey - chopped up his Mam in Scotland, due for release soon. He is a dangerous man and needs help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 149150151152153 325>
  Share Topic