Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We do not have the players !!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 6:39pm
Outside of the top 15-20 teams in the world, there's another 25-30 with little or nothing between them, we are in that group and with the right management could do very well for ourselves.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Agree 100%, Mentality is a big side to winning.

I remember reading that when England went to the 2006 WC the biggest regret Sven Goran Eriksson had was not bringing a Mental coach which he says could have helped the team.

If you look at the squad England brought to that WC it was massively talented just didn't work together.

Even look at our teams that went to the WC in 90 and 94 and Euros in 88 I wouldn't have called most of those players World beaters but we set the team out to be damn hard to play against and believed that team would have to fight to beat us.

Luckily we have our own mental coach. Roy KeaneLOL
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 7:14pm
O'neill won't hide behind that excise and that mentality caused keane to walk away. Really excited about ireland these days. Unfortunately if we lose tomorrow night the haters will be out already I fear.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

We've never "had the players", save for the 88-92 group which was exceptional (players were ageing by 1994).  Since Giles however instilled some discipline and organisation into the national team when he became Manager, we've shown we have bloody good players in our team and when you use those good players with solid and honest back up, you can achieve success in terms of qualifications.    We went from being a team who always competed no matter who the opposition was, to a team knowing we needed a miracle to get even a draw against a "strong" team.  

It's a convenient, lazy, catch-all phrase used by too many supposed "experts".

The more I think back on the last couple of years of Trapattoni's reign, the angrier I get.

We've reached one tournament in the past 12 years. Our last glamour victory was 12 years ago.

The theories about our players are debatable. The evidence is indisputable.

Edited by planning - 18 Nov 2013 at 7:21pm
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

We do not have the players to play poorly and get away with it.

We do not have the players to beat a top ranked team that brings their A game.  

We do have the players to beat almost any international team that does not bring their A game if the Irish team performs near to their best. 

Great to have you 100% back ClapClapClap
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 1:13am
you would rather watch Germany v spain  than your team? then SOD off
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 1:41am
There are 220,000 more people in Connacht than there are in Iceland... Connacht!!
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 1:44am
I agree to a certain extent Baldy but you have to look at where all our players play their club football in their breakthrough years. Everyone comes through the British school of football which we all know is completely flawed. 

Every year there's an Irish schoolboy side in the latter stages of the Milk Cup at both age groups beating world renowned names on the way. I've seen unbelievable players go across the channel after these tournaments and their talent is completely stifled and therefore conform to the British game. Most are then cast on the scrapheap at 18 and then comeback and drag their heels through the League of Ireland. We have had no shortage of talented players in years gone by but "making it in England" shouldn't be the barometer. 
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 8:33am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Agree 100%, Mentality is a big side to winning.

I remember reading that when England went to the 2006 WC the biggest regret Sven Goran Eriksson had was not bringing a Mental coach which he says could have helped the team.

If you look at the squad England brought to that WC it was massively talented just didn't work together.

Even look at our teams that went to the WC in 90 and 94 and Euros in 88 I wouldn't have called most of those players World beaters but we set the team out to be damn hard to play against and believed that team would have to fight to beat us.

Either that or lads that could take penos.
LOLClap
I think the only guy who scored his penalty was Owen Hargreaves who was schooled by Bayern Munich

Edited by lassassinblanc - 19 Nov 2013 at 8:34am
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

I agree to a certain extent Baldy but you have to look at where all our players play their club football in their breakthrough years. Everyone comes through the British school of football which we all know is completely flawed. 

Every year there's an Irish schoolboy side in the latter stages of the Milk Cup at both age groups beating world renowned names on the way. I've seen unbelievable players go across the channel after these tournaments and their talent is completely stifled and therefore conform to the British game. Most are then cast on the scrapheap at 18 and then comeback and drag their heels through the League of Ireland. We have had no shortage of talented players in years gone by but "making it in England" shouldn't be the barometer. 

I agree but I do not think that conflicts with my point.

I think its quite possible for someone like ruud dokter to see issues with our system and structure and try to improve it and at the same time the manager to make the most of what he has and not throw is hands up to the sky and say we don't have the players.

Acknowledging your flaws and weaknesses in your structures does not have to lead to defeatism in the short term. We can long term plan and try to improve our structures and systems and still try to be competitive in qualifying groups.
AKA pedantic kunt
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 9:17am
the dutch do not seem to be producing as many good young players as they used to. you take RVP, Robben and sneijder out and they look pretty mediocre. Kevin Strootman is about the best they have produced in the last number of years. 

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 2:39pm
Quite a lot of cross channel movement this summer for some of the LOIs younger talents. Think they could do better than league one and two, but will be interesting to see if these boys can play their way into contention for the senior side over the next couple of years. I suppose this kind of annual exodus is a big problem when it comes to development at home.

Barry MacNamee on trial at Brentford

Alan Browne from Cork City to Preston NE

Chris Forrester on trial at Bristol City

Darryl Horgan on trial at Torquay, with other clubs also looking at hiim

Danny Morrissey and Geroid Morrissey being eyed-up. Huddersfield and Wigan been mentioned in the past.

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 5:50pm
After last night starting to worry that this thread title is spot on. 1 away goal all fuking year. Didnt even look like scoring in more matches than not. The dead wood needs to be cleared and cleared quick.

Puts it in perspective when Gibraltar drew with Slovakia last night after the latter beat Poland on friday. The players need to take a look at themselves
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 6:01pm
It's not club football.

You can't get rid of the dead wood. You can only work with the players that are available to you. There's not a lot of players that are not in the squad that would improve the squad.

Anyway the dead wood that you would get rid of will probably end up being first choice for MON\RK.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Puts it in perspective when Gibraltar drew with Slovakia last night after the latter beat Poland on friday. The players need to take a look at themselves

that's not perspective though, that's referencing 1 meaningless friendly vs another meaningless friendly.

You're so negative it's unreal.

Judge the management/team over 12 months not 12 f**king days
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

It's not club football.

You can't get rid of the dead wood. You can only work with the players that are available to you. There's not a lot of players that are not in the squad that would improve the squad.

Anyway the dead wood that you would get rid of will probably end up being first choice for MON\RK.

Maybe so. If they do we'll be struggling to qualify for the Euros and there wont be any contract extension. We badly need our core group of players fit. The likes of Brady, O Brien, Reid, Clark could all be starting and hopefully will be the case. There are 4 players that can replace Sledge, Ward, Walters and Stokes. The latter 2 should never be considered for a start on the wing or be switched there as in stokes' case. If so you may as well drop them..

Edited by Kerrzy - 20 Nov 2013 at 6:09pm
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

that's not perspective though, that's referencing 1 meaningless friendly vs another meaningless friendly.

You're so negative it's unreal.

Judge the management/team over 12 months not 12 f**king days

Im not judging the management team. It genuinely worries me when the side have put such a string of shocking performances in over such a long period of time. We are in a longer dip of form than under Stan FFS.
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 6:18pm
Kerrzy you sound like my granda does when he's yapping about the non alcoholic beer my ma buys him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic