Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roy Keane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 163>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The truth is out there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just saying like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Read the Chapter on Keane in Ferguson's book.  He fairly lays it in to Keane and gives only a small bit of context to how great keane was for Utd.  

The mood swings are talked about and how it affected everybody in the dressing room from physio etc.  

Careful Baldy.  I said more or less the same thing last week on the book thread and I got ate for it.
Sponsored Links

Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/so-how-exactly-is-this-partnership-between-o-neill-and-keane-going-to-work-out-1.1582603

That's some seriously lazy journalism there.

still better than the tripe coming out of journal.ie
opa01 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by rainpaulo rainpaulo wrote:

Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Given unlike Keane never walked out on his country or feigned injury in order to avoid playing for his country.

No but he feigned fitness in order to avoid being benched for a match. Equally as inexcusable in my opinion.

Spot on...Given didn't give a rats ass about the team in the Euros.....was not fit to play but used his seniority in the squad to force his hand....every bit as bad as what Roy is being accused off.

While I can agree that Given should have given an honest appraisal of his fitness situation I can understand anyone being desperate to play for their country. What I will never understand is a player saying he is unfit to play for his country and then playing a full game for his club the next day (on 1 occasion) and 2.5 days later (on other occasions).
Will no-one rid me of this turbulent priest?
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 4:39pm
“Is it any wonder that people think we’re just there for the craic when the chief executive of the FAI is pictured dancing on tables or is videoed effing and blinding to Irish fans late at night to supporters who are the worse for wear.

“What other chief executive would carry on like that? We’re all entitled to a night out but do it discreetly. How can he be expected to be taken seriously? And how, as a nation, can we be expected to be taken seriously when we’re happy to go along with that image?”

anyone disagree with this?
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

“Is it any wonder that people think we’re just there for the craic when the chief executive of the FAI is pictured dancing on tables or is videoed effing and blinding to Irish fans late at night to supporters who are the worse for wear.

“What other chief executive would carry on like that? We’re all entitled to a night out but do it discreetly. How can he be expected to be taken seriously? And how, as a nation, can we be expected to be taken seriously when we’re happy to go along with that image?”

Sure what about Keane's nights out in which he inevitably ended up in fights or rows with people?  According to his own autobiography he wore a kiss me im irish hat in Boston in 1992 and got into arguments with Charlton and McCarthy. He got into drunken mess and poured a beer over some aul geebags head at some charity do, he got into fights with a Dublin Utd fan in Manchester and was arrested. Wish every Irish player had such a good image.

Do people not see through this whole 'Keane the ultimate professional' rubbish? 
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 6:35pm
Lots of people have suggested in the past hiring a senior manager to take the squad for a campaign or two and have a young Irish man in the coaching set up as his number 2 who would be groomed for the top job.
This could be Roy keane. Only that it is who it is are people so concerned about the appointment of a young number 2. If it was hughton or someone then people would not be questioning it.

I also don't think that Roy keane or Martin o'neill are incapable of taking a training session and doing tactics. People are speculating that neither will be hands on because of stories they've heard from their time at club level.

Martin o'Neill is recognized for not being very hands on at training during the week at club football. But what I have heard was that for big games he would be on the training ground pulling the strings (while at Leicester City anyway)
Keane apparently was not hands on at the training ground at Sunderland either. I do think he made mistakes in terms of his living arrangement in that he stayed in Cheshire so perhaps didn't make the best possible effort to be there everyday. I understand he relocated for the Ipswich job. I've not heard of his time there whether he got more involved in the day to day training. Maybe others have inside info here?

In any case, international football is a whole lot different to club management. He won't have the same responsibilities of running the club from top to bottom and really his job will be more centred on the coaching side of things. Perhaps he has recognized this himself and he needs to start out again where he learns his trade as a coach first and foremost.
I would not go knocking it just because there is a preconceived notion that neither will get their hands dirty with training.
I would question it more myself if it was club management. But international football you don't have player contracts etc to occupy you. The only thing you can really do is prepare the team when they meet up and keep the players motivated

Edited by t_rAndy - 04 Nov 2013 at 6:37pm
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Sure what about Keane's nights out in which he inevitably ended up in fights or rows with people?  According to his own autobiography he wore a kiss me im irish hat in Boston in 1992 and got into arguments with Charlton and McCarthy. He got into drunken mess and poured a beer over some aul geebags head at some charity do, he got into fights with a Dublin Utd fan in Manchester and was arrested. Wish every Irish player had such a good image.

do you agree with the statement or not?

keane was 20 years of age and in an irish squad that had a huge drink culture, that was an end of season mickey mouse friendly tour. delaney is a middle aged man and is the chief executive of a football association and was at a major football tournament.  In the book the woman attacked him first, and some knob head dublin fan had a go at him. but yeah keep bringing up stuff from the early nineties. 

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Bally O Telly View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bally O Telly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by The E The E wrote:

I've a feeling they'll more than likely be joint managers similar to Evans and Houllier. I hope i'm wrong though

It's not necessarily a bad idea if it brings out the best in both, trouble is it might have the opposite effect, if the results start going wrong you can see them blaming each other etc
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 9:14pm

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

do you agree with the statement or not?

keane was 20 years of age and in an irish squad that had a huge drink culture, that was an end of season mickey mouse friendly tour. delaney is a middle aged man and is the chief executive of a football association and was at a major football tournament.  In the book the woman attacked him first, and some knob head dublin fan had a go at him. but yeah keep bringing up stuff from the early nineties. 

For the record I think Delaney is a typical politician and I think that behaviour is bvery poor for a man in his position. The Houghton/Dokter think was a complete joke. They appoint these 2 fellas to decide on the manager and report back and then Delaney goes and appoints O'Neill before they have even finishedLOL

As for Keane I reckon you know his book off by heart as if its the bible.  You can see absolutely no flaws in his character can you?

I can see positives in him as a player i.e hunger, drive, aggressiveness, ambition but as manager his negative column is far heavier than his positve column.

Im not one bit surprise the nation is falling over themslves to worship at his feet tbh. We are a flock that lack direction and are impressionable bunch
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Bally O Telly View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bally O Telly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 9:23pm
Keane might be doing things like organising the training, making sure the kit was there and the pitch was not as hard as concrete and checking up on players suspected of faking injury Wink
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 9:25pm
Head of logistics ;)
AKA pedantic kunt
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Head of logistics ;)

Hope he's in charge of our pre-tournament training camp for 2016.
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 9:36pm
Na Making sure the balls are pumped, training vests available and rolling pitches, pillows are plumped, beds are made, orange juice is fresh, superquinn sausages are vacuum packed, punching guitar playing players, not allowing bbqs, any journo having a go at Martin punching them, any journo having a go at the team punching Martin, organising the VIP Section at Wrights for Home Matches, The List is endlessWink
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
mitch1988 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 9:37pm
im not a roy keane fan but its mon choice so lets give them both time and support.....
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Bally O Telly Bally O Telly wrote:

Keane might be doing things like organising the training, making sure the kit was there and the pitch was not as hard as concrete and checking up on players suspected of faking injury Wink
Nah Keane will be chief security officer on away trips at the team hotel keeping undesireables away, fck knows what Delaney is going to do for accomodation LOL
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 9:46pm
Paddy Power Latest Odds

Number of players to fall out with Roy by Xmas

0     100/1
1     50/1
2     50/1
3     40/1
4     40/1

All    even money
I know nothing :-)
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 10:07pm
Everyone seems to be an expert on Keanes mentality
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
devondudley View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devondudley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 11:42pm
A lot of rubbish being talked about keane walking out on ireland 12 years ago,
Gibson stephen ireland joey o brien Kieran Westwood stephen Kelly all have refused one way or another to play for us since then but not much said about that, people also talking nonsense about his role he is clearly a number two, Zidane at real bergkamp at Ajax are two examples of how this model works with famous players as number two's, not so long ago a lot of people here wanted tardelli as the next manager and after we qualified for euros he was favourite for the job, he was seen at the time as doing a good job as a number two, 12 years is along time for some of ye to still hold a grudge and it's laughable others quoting fergies book where he mentions more about a story in Portugal than all the trophies they won together, fergies book also mentions how much of a professional giggs was off the pitch which I don't think anyone in the media has joked about.
But fumble in a greasy till

And add the halfpence to the pence

And pray to shivering prayer, until

You have dried the marrow from the bone.

W. B. Yeats, September 1913
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 163>
  Share Topic