Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roy Keane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 148149150151152 163>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Do you honestly think Territorial would be dying on this hill if Keane wasn't an outspoken, high profile Irish Catholic with views on the NI conflict that are incompatible with his own?

Trust me, I don't need to look to any of that to find reasons to dislike Keane.

And as for my sharing "the same pathology as Andy Goram", that's a bit rich coming from someone who only had to spot a young Catholic playing for an NI team the other week to shout "Sectarianism", without knowing the first thing about him, his family or the circumstances of his selection.

P.S. As regards Goram and all that sh*te, I have as much time for Rangers as I have for Glasgow's other Ugly Sister.

Partick Thistle?

St Mirren.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 10:03pm

"I don't post on a forum about the ROI 2.0 times a day; I post in a subsection on a forum about the ROI national team 2.0 times a day." What a weird distinction. LOL
Er, the charge is that I'm only here for political reasons. Except that the majority of my posts are in the (non-political) ROW section.

Or is that too "weird" for you to understand?

You did a good job tearing the arse out of your own argument when you categorised lads like Ballard and McCalmont with lads like Bradley as if their call-ups prove Bradley's meager game time wasn't politically motivated, when Ballard and McCalmont are also eligible for other countries.
Er no, I cited those examples (and others) of how, with a thin squad, the IFA has long had a clear policy of fast-tracking youngsters from all backgrounds, whether coming through the Club NI project, or from GB.

But yoiu (wiilfully?) ignored all of that and immediately homed in on the sole example which appeared to back your argument, whilst ignoring the many other examples which contradicted it..

Meaning that far from your identifying a problem, ironically you are the problem.

What, the IFA no longer have directives in place to strategically target players who are also eligible for the ROI and apply pressure on our management teams to not call up players from Catholic communities (kind of discriminatory in its own way, but whatever) now that Magilton and O'Neill aren't involved in the setup? News to me.
Just what are you talking about?

Otoh the IFA is anti-Catholic ("Wouldn't have them about the place"), at the same time as it is pro-Catholic ("Get them in, quick!"). Schrodinger would get a run out of that one, that's for sure.Confused

And where are these "strategic directives" you're blethering about?

To repeat, the IFA seeks to find, develop and cap as many talented players as are entitled to represent NI, regardless of religion, background, politics or nationality etc. And as part of this, they have a policy of fast-tracking the most promising youngsters - eg Galbraith, McCalmont, Bradley and McClelland.

There is no more to it than that, unless you insist that there is. In which case there is no more I can say, since you've clearly closed your mind to all reason or evidence.

Presumably you still have no qualms with using intermediaries like Austin MacPhee to try and poach lads like Michael O'Connor and Jimmy Dunne, though.
Which "interneidiary" approached O'Connor? Bearing in mind that he was already 20, he had just signed for Linfield and with a granny  from NI, he was eligible for us, entirely as normal:

Oh wait, "It was all a dream, then I woke up":

Fact is, we never even picked him, never mind "pressured" or tied him, and if you're relying on 'Mental Mickey" to support your case, well then it's a very thin one indeed!

Meanwhile, anyone who knows anything about Dunne (21 on at the time and playing for Hearts) knows that if there was any pressure involved, it was hie who was using the IFA to put pressure on the FAI , after Martin O'Neill dropped him from a Nations League squad. And once more we never actually picked him, never mind fast-tracked him.

All of which happens. You know, like eg Jack Grealish using ROI under-age teams to further his early career, until he was in the running for their English equivalents...

Even if most of your posts were in the RoW section, I'd estimate that most of them, either overly or tangentially, relate to Ireland (see Tuaisceart Eireann thread) Not that it would make it any less bizarre that an avowed Northern Ireland fan posts frequently on a forum for Republic of Ireland fans.

It's funny how when NI try to poach Michael O'Connor, it's justified because he has a granny from NI, but when Shane Duffy declares for RoI you won't shut up making judgements about his character, despite the fact he's eligible for RoI through the very same metric.

You seem to think Northern Ireland have a birthright to every player from a Catholic background despite their personal wishes and if they come up through "Club NI", or whatever the hell you're blethering about, it should prevent them from playing for us, even though the rules don't, and shouldn't, work like that. It's as absurd to think Okoflex or Odubeko or Sotona should be tied to us because of the expenditures and opportunities they were given coming up through youth football in RoI.

It's not about NI being institutionally pro-Catholic or anti-Catholic. It's about the pressure being put on players from a nationalist background not to play for a country they're eligible for and the constant bombardment of propaganda from people like Magilton or O'Neill, who you know fully well are just parroting a directive from above every time they bleat on about the FAI "stealing" players from a Catholic background. Which is something you have no proof of BTW. Several players, like Eunan O'Kane and Marc Wilson, are outspoken in their reasons for playing for us. While others, like Shane Duffy, are eligible for us through grandparents. The same way "Mental Mickey" was eligible for NI.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 10:04pm

P.S. As regards Goram and all that sh*te, I have as much time for Rangers as I have for Glasgow's other Ugly Sister.

Partick Thistle?

If ye wanna go tae Heaven when ye die,
Ye shud wear a Partick Thistle shirt an' tie.
An' a Partick Thistle bonnet,
Wi' "Fcuk the Auld Firm" on it,
If ye wanna go tae Heaven when ye die.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 8:50pm

It's funny how when NI try to poach Michael O'Connor, it's justified because he has a granny from NI, but when Shane Duffy declares for RoI you won't shut up making judgements about his character, despite the fact he's eligible for RoI through the very same metric.
Where have I ever questioned Duffy's eligiblility for ROI? (I haven't, to save you looking)

You seem to think Northern Ireland have a birthright to every player from a Catholic background despite their personal wishes and if they come up through "Club NI", or whatever the hell you're blethering about, it should prevent them from playing for us, even though the rules don't, and shouldn't, work like that.
Er, everyone born in NI has the right to represent NI, should they choose. Or are you implying that the IFA should only be permitted to select Prods?

And there is no way the IFA could prevent any NI-born player from opting for ROI against his wishes, none at all. (You've used the words "pressure" and "coerce" in previous posts, which is laughable)

Instead, we try to demonstrate why opting for NI can be an attractive option for them, via programmes such as Club  NI etc.

On which point, one young player who's been associated with Club NI for years now is a lad called Daithi McCallion. From Derry, he's now on the books if Derry City, from where he recently went on trial to Celtic. With Club NI, he's been to GB and Europe on various training camps and competitions etc.

If the name sounds familiar, he's the son of Elisha McCallion, a former Sinn Fein Mayor of Derry, MP for Foyle and Member of the Irish Senate. (She is also the neice of Martina Anderson).

Are you seriously telling me that the IFA has some sort of pernicious hold over someone like her, such that she couldn't keep her boy from their evil clutches?

https://i0.wp.com/tristarboysfc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/DC-1.png?resize=469%2C381
(That's young Daithi on the left, btw)

The simple fact is, your closed mindset, which views everything through the prism of your own narrow political views, cannot conceive that any young Catholic/Nationalist might be capable of putting their own personal views to one side when simply looking to play football.

It's not about NI being institutionally pro-Catholic or anti-Catholic. It's about the pressure being put on players from a nationalist background not to play for a country they're eligible for and the constant bombardment of propaganda from people like Magilton or O'Neill, who you know fully well are just parroting a directive from above every time they bleat on about the FAI "stealing" players from a Catholic background. Which is something you have no proof of BTW. Several players, like Eunan O'Kane and Marc Wilson, are outspoken in their reasons for playing for us. While others, like Shane Duffy, are eligible for us through grandparents. The same way "Mental Mickey" was eligible for NI.
This is not about the IFA "putting pressure" on NI-born players, it's about the FAI making ipromises that might never be kept. Several players have stated how they were approached by the FAI, as far back as Chris Baird, through Shane Ferguson, through to Paul Smyth. Why, they even tried it on with Paddy McNair, until they copped on that not every "Paddy" must be Catholic! Yet they maintain the lie that they never make the first approach, it always comes from the player himself.

And as for Michael O'Neill, he has never denied the right of any player to opt for ROI, nor even for the FAI to approach them. Rather he has pointed to the iniquity of the FAI persuading teenagers to use up their one permitted switch, before they could know how their career might turn out. Then when failing to make it with the ROI, finding that they couldn't revert back to NI even if they wanted to, and the IFA wanted them.

Or as he put it back in 2018:
"I don't have a problem with James McClean. He was 22 years of age, he knew what he wanted. I have a problem when it's a 16, 17 or 18-year-old having to make a decision on his international future.

"What is the point of asking a player to change his allegiance, to make a decision about his whole international future, and then not pick him?

"Daniel Devine of Partick Thistle is a West Belfast boy and would have gone to the Euros with us.

"Only he can't play for Northern Ireland as he's signed an international transfer. I can list you 10 players who've made that decision and have never represented the Republic."

Edited by Territorial - 24 Jun 2021 at 8:56pm
Benhur View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 9:17pm
Point being if you wait till somebody is in their early twenties before approaching them there is a fair chance they will already be capped by the north at that stage .. hence why the fai would approach them in their their teens 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Benhur Benhur wrote:

Point being if you wait till somebody is in their early twenties before approaching them there is a fair chance they will already be capped by the north at that stage .. hence why the fai would approach them in their their teens 

Really?

Fact is, only the exceptional players will get capped in a senior competitive game whilst in their teens, even by NI. And if they really were exceptional, the ROI would be capping them early, too.

Yet as Michael O'Neill pointed out, many of them make the switch without ever kicking a ball for ROI, even at under-age level.

Meaning that the real point is that people like HH cannot bear to see a young Catholic choosing to play for NI. 

And since he cannot accuse them of being "Uncle Toms" (though I'd bet he'd like to with O'Neill and Magilton), instead from a position of supreme ignorance and prejudice, he tries to put it onto "Themmuns" in the IFA, for somehow "pressuring" or "coercing" them into it.

Perhaps he might like to write to Elisha NcCallion to ask her how/why she succumbed to their evil plans for her son? LOL
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 3:02am
" i dont even care" as he posts his 9th short story of the day defending obsessively responding to every post in a ROI forum, u really couldnt make it up!
Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Do you honestly think Territorial would be dying on this hill if Keane wasn't an outspoken, high profile Irish Catholic with views on the NI conflict that are incompatible with his own?

Trust me, I don't need to look to any of that to find reasons to dislike Keane.

And as for my sharing "the same pathology as Andy Goram", that's a bit rich coming from someone who only had to spot a young Catholic playing for an NI team the other week to shout "Sectarianism", without knowing the first thing about him, his family or the circumstances of his selection.

Partick Thistle?

St Mirren.

Paisley not Glasgow.
And if you know your geography ……….

inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 2:50pm
Did anyone see Royo on ITV last night?

He was livid, called Joao Felix and impostor and said Ronaldo should catch up with him in the dressing room. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

Did anyone see Royo on ITV last night?

He was livid, called Joao Felix and impostor and said Ronaldo should catch up with him in the dressing room. 

He was in his hole livid.  Just a character he is playing for the tv like Simon Cowel did on X factor.  

Can just imagine some cockney producer in his ear saying giving it more of the fake anger Roy social media loves it.   

Edited by Baldrick - 28 Jun 2021 at 2:58pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 10:26am
Apologies that it's not the whole article.

Typical Keano story.

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 2:56pm
Roy Keane vs Portugal

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Roy Keane vs Portugal

Better performance than the Holland game. Probably his best for Ireland, absolutely immense.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Roy Keane vs Portugal

Better performance than the Holland game. Probably his best for Ireland, absolutely immense.

We'll probably not see days like it again in our lifetimes. Going toe to toe with the top teams. They look terrified of keane. 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 3:38pm

Roy Keane vs Portugal

Vintage Keano.

Brought back some great memories .

Thanks for posting it.  
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 3:47pm

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Roy Keane vs Portugal

We'll probably not see days like it again in our lifetimes. Going toe to toe with the top teams. They look terrified of keane. 

Unbelievable performance. 

Some of his forward passing that day was absolutely class, he was such a good distributor of the ball which is very often dismissed by critics who think he was just a hard working battler.

What strikes me most about him is how he reacts to poorly placed passes - there are several occasions in that video where the ball is played too far in front or behind him, but he just gets on with it and ensures the ball is won.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 3:50pm
Apart from the one by Stan LOL

His pass to Carr in the first half was class.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 3:53pm
Mad to think those games were 20 years ago Shocked
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 148149150151152 163>
  Share Topic