Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roy Keane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 135136137138139 163>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I'm confident Roy would take Shearer. Roy just had the viciousness needed for a scrap. Shearer might shade it with reach but Roy would bite his ear off etc.

In his own way, Shearer is just as vicious as Keane (see eg when he kicked Lennon on the ground), but he also has the self-control to go with it.

Keane would just lose the head, dive straight in and with no referee to intervene, Shearer would coolly pick his punch:

Keane's no real size (at least when you take the spite away), whereas Shearer is strongly built - one of the reasons why Keane got injured so often, flying in when he lacked the physique to back it up.

I'd have loved Viera to have got a real go at him, he'd have battered him without the smile leaving his face.

Keane was a fine boxer I believe, and an absolute headcase. If I'd a choice between fighting someone stronger than me or someone crazier, I'd choose stronger every time...
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I don’t actually recall a particularly strong rivalry between the two.

They had more than one run in. There's a bit in Keane's autobiography about that fight. Shearer called him a "stupid c*nt" or something like that, Keane punched him, got the red, then as he was walking off Shearer called him a "stupid c*nt" again and Keane, in the autobiography, accepted that he was a stupid c*nt because Shearer had wound him up enough to make Keane punch him and get sent off. I think there was a sort of grudging respect at the fact Shearer was a bigger c*nt than Keane himself.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 2:30pm
Drunkin Dunc v Big Bad John a much better scrap in the heavy weight division.......
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 2:47pm
This is probably one for the unpopular opinion thread but in terms of ability, I do think Shearer is one of the few English players that was a genuinely world class striker. 

Could finish with both feet, good penalty (and free kick taker as far as I remember). Good in the air, very strong and had a fantastic shot. 

Overrated lads? 

Lineker (a little bit before my time) gets a lot of praise but would Shearer be better overall? Lineker depended on his pace a bit more?  
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 2:55pm
No way was Lineker overrated. I would say the opposite! People thought all he did was score goals, but there is an art in being that lucky. His record speaks for itself. I think it was the speed of his reaction rather than just his pace.

Shearer is a ****, and always was, but was an unbelievable player.
One of the greats of the English game, but never took much stick for his lack of interest in their national team. 

Edited by pre Madonna - 23 Mar 2020 at 2:56pm
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 3:24pm
Shearer did deck Keith Gillespie once in Dublin when Newcastle were there to play some team. To be fair, nothing wrong with that, Gillespie had it coming and generally required a few slaps from time to time to teach him manners. He ( i.e. Gillespie ) had a tendency to overdo bad behaviour be it fags, booze , gambling or women ( he recently was the subject of a restraining order due to his harassment of a woman ) and was a lippy little self-entitled prima donna prat at the best of times. He was widely blamed for getting the well meaning but ineffectual Sammy McIlroy the sack from the NI job through indisciplined behaviour and leading other balloons like Roy Carroll , Kyle Lafferty and others down a similar path. You'd never get tired punching him. Shearer, on the other hand, was a fine pro. Had some epic battles with Richard Dunne.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

No way was Lineker overrated. I would say the opposite! People thought all he did was score goals, but there is an art in being that lucky. His record speaks for itself. I think it was the speed of his reaction rather than just his pace.

Shearer is a ****, and always was, but was an unbelievable player.
One of the greats of the English game, but never took much stick for his lack of interest in their national team. 

Couldn't agree more, Lineker was a great striker, his positioning was phenomenal alongside Flippo Inzaghi my favourite striker of all time. 

Shearer was brilliant for a period of 94 to around 98/98.

He had a bad injury which slowed him down pace wise during the middle of that time, but when he came back he continued to score goals.

A right arsehole though too alright, but as OP said Keane respected that as he'd do anything to help his team win.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 3:33pm
Lineker was world class striker.   Brilliant at two world cups and scored for fun on the wing st barca.  Let developer  
AKA pedantic kunt
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 3:33pm
FYI the whole thing resurfaced following a Match of the Day show over the weekend where Lineker, wright and Shearer ranked the top 10 Premier League captains, 

That they ranked Steven Gerrard higher then Keane tells you how serious it should have been taken
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 3:39pm
Yeah, I loved Inzaghi. I found his personality on the pitch infectious. He always looked like he had been terribly wronged until he scored. I especially loved how he seemed to celebrate the easier ones more. Ferguson said he was born offside, but that was where good strikers should be playing the game.

There were certainly similarities between him and Lineker.

Edited by pre Madonna - 23 Mar 2020 at 4:09pm
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Yeah, I loved Inzaghi. I found his personality on the pitch infectious. He always liked like he had been terribly wronged until he scored. I especially loved how he seemed to celebrate the easier ones more. Ferguson said he was born offside, but that was where good strikers should be playing the game.

There were certainly similarities between him and Lineker.

Exactly they just knew where to be and when to run when they needed to.

That instinct isn't something you can teach it's natural
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 5:26pm

I'm confident Roy would take Shearer. Roy just had the viciousness needed for a scrap. Shearer might shade it with reach but Roy would bite his ear off etc.

In his own way, Shearer is just as vicious as Keane (see eg when he kicked Lennon on the ground), but he also has the self-control to go with it.

Keane would just lose the head, dive straight in and with no referee to intervene, Shearer would coolly pick his punch:

Keane's no real size (at least when you take the spite away), whereas Shearer is strongly built - one of the reasons why Keane got injured so often, flying in when he lacked the physique to back it up.

I'd have loved Viera to have got a real go at him, he'd have battered him without the smile leaving his face.

I literally LOL'd at this comment - regarding Keane size 

He had one serious injury in his whole career. Often broke lads twice his size up.

Then referenced big Pat and spelt his name wrong. As for this, I'm with Keane's weaker frame he wouldn't have come out on top in so many clashes.

What a complete and utter sh*te post.

Also - Roy had a screw loose, would have taken Shearer's head clean off.

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Shearer did deck Keith Gillespie once in Dublin when Newcastle were there to play some team. To be fair, nothing wrong with that, Gillespie had it coming and generally required a few slaps from time to time to teach him manners. He ( i.e. Gillespie ) had a tendency to overdo bad behaviour be it fags, booze , gambling or women ( he recently was the subject of a restraining order due to his harassment of a woman ) and was a lippy little self-entitled prima donna prat at the best of times. He was widely blamed for getting the well meaning but ineffectual Sammy McIlroy the sack from the NI job through indisciplined behaviour and leading other balloons like Roy Carroll , Kyle Lafferty and others down a similar path. You'd never get tired punching him. Shearer, on the other hand, was a fine pro. Had some epic battles with Richard Dunne.
Don't disagree with your general characterisation of Gillespie and why Shearer could be forgiven for decking him, but your bold is way off the mark.

McIlroy was not sacked. He resigned the job and immediately stepped into another job he'd already lined up with Stockport County in his old Greater Manchester stomping ground. Iirc, this was soon after he'd had his contract renewed by the IFA in act of supreme loyalty/stupidity (delete as preferred) after 4 truly appalling, Stauntonesque years: 5 wins in 29 games, all of them in the first year and all of them against truly crap teams - Luxembourg, Iceland and Malta x 3.

Now it's fair to say that Gillespie, one of the most talented players in an otherwise poor squad, was pretty crap for the first 50-odd of his 86 caps. But the first 29 of those were before McIlroy was even appointed, followed by the 21 of McIlroy's 29 in charge.

When Sanchez took over, Gillespie finally began to show touches of the ability that had seen him play for Newcastle in the Champions League etc, never more so than in that famous win over England in 2005, when he made a mug out of Wayne Rooney, the 3-2 win over a fabulous Spain a year later, or the magnicent victory over Denmark the year after!

The point being that with sound management (eg Sanchez), Gillespie was still worth picking, whereas with poor management (eg McIlroy), he was only worth shooting.

(As for Carroll and Lafferty, neither of those two balloons needed any encouragement from Gillespie or anyone else.)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

I literally LOL'd at this comment - regarding Keane size 

He had one serious injury in his whole career. Often broke lads twice his size up.

Then referenced big Pat and spelt his name wrong. As for this, I'm with Keane's weaker frame he wouldn't have come out on top in so many clashes.

What a complete and utter sh*te post.

Also - Roy had a screw loose, would have taken Shearer's head clean off.

Have you ever seen Keane close up? He's no size. Now you might consider that that makes his aggression more admirable, though some might say it made him more foolhardy, not least for the red/yellow card suspensions he incurred. As for the "screw loose" argument, you just need to look at boxing to see how far that gets you eg Duran v Leonard II.

As for Keane's injury record, he played for MU for 13 seasons from 1993 to 2005, playing 326 PL games = 25 games per season.

He was almost an exact contemporary of Darren "Sicknote" Anderton, who played for Spurs in 12 seasons from 1992 to 2004, making 299 PL appearances = 25 games per season.

Now granted, Keane played a good few more Cup games (and caps) than Anderton, but it is striking that during their careers, Anderton made 471 League appearances, whereas Keane made 473 (or 450 if you exclude Cobh Ramblers Wink).

Yet Anderton gained his injury reputation while Keane was being the "hardman who'd play with a broken leg etc".

P.S. Sorry about the Vieira typo - always automatically invalidates any point anyone ever tries to make LOL

Edited by Territorial - 23 Mar 2020 at 6:13pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 6:18pm
Anderton also played two seasons over and above Keane. 2005/2006 was also a disrupted season for Keane. During that whole period Anderton made 90 further appearances.

Edited by Het-field - 23 Mar 2020 at 6:19pm
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Originally posted by longford claret longford claret wrote:

Lots in the English media today about past scuffles between Alan Shearer and Roy, and a few times they almost came to blows after the match. Alan says he would have put Roy away no bother.

Shearer is such a twat. If he couldn’t play football, he’d be like a character from the office. Imagine going on about this stuff 20 years later. You’re a grandad for Christ sake!

To be fair, nobody talks about the past more than that muppet Keane.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 6:55pm

Anderton also played two seasons over and above Keane.

You mean he played on longer.

2005/2006 was also a disrupted season for Keane. During that whole period Anderton made 90 further appearances.

He left OT in mid-November and played his first game for Celtic in early January - hardly a huge disruption.

Fact is, he was physically done by that stage, not least due to a playing style which whilst hugely committed, was also frequently reckless.

Whereas Sicknote managed his injuries so as to extend his career another couple of seasons.

Which of the two was the cleverer?

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 7:08pm
Keane didn’t play between September 2005-November 2005 due to injury, and made 10 appearances in the league for Celtic. It was a disrupted season. Leaving United mid season, joining Celtic compounded that.

I’m quite sure Keane could have played on in League 1 or 2 if he had wanted to.

Edited by Het-field - 23 Mar 2020 at 7:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 135136137138139 163>
  Share Topic