You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody know anything about cars?????!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 126127128129130 133>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Had to get a new battery. It died again when trying to use it after lunch. Brought it on a big drive down to bray and back. Parked up, 20 minutes later tried again and it was gone again.

Did you get it looked at or just pick up a new battery yourself? Sounds like the alternator if the new battery wont charge either or maybe a short somewhere causing drain.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Had to get a new battery. It died again when trying to use it after lunch. Brought it on a big drive down to bray and back. Parked up, 20 minutes later tried again and it was gone again.

Did you get it looked at or just pick up a new battery yourself? Sounds like the alternator if the new battery wont charge either or maybe a short somewhere causing drain.

Meant I got a new battery because the original battery is not holding. They tested to see the battery was charging at normal rate when the car was ticking over (so I think means the alternator is ok). 
Have to wait for brother to fit the battery to see if it works out but seems the most logical solution was that it was battery. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 11:33pm

Meant I got a new battery because the original battery is not holding. They tested to see the battery was charging at normal rate when the car was ticking over (so I think means the alternator is ok). 
Have to wait for brother to fit the battery to see if it works out but seems the most logical solution was that it was battery. 

Ahh right, gotcha. Thought you were saying you'd already changed it and it was still giving you hassle. Hopefully thats all it was so!
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 10:47pm

I’ve heard that with many modern cars it’s not as simple as dropping the battery in and connecting it. The battery needs to be coded to the car, which requires a computer, the correct cables, the correct software, and knowing what you are doing. 

I’ve got none of those, but my car is an old banger.  
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

I’ve heard that with many modern cars it’s not as simple as dropping the battery in and connecting it. The battery needs to be coded to the car, which requires a computer, the correct cables, the correct software, and knowing what you are doing. 

I’ve got none of those, but my car is an old banger.  

Was definitely the battery. The brother hadn't a machine but to lower risk he changed the battery while the car was ticking over as he feared that potentially changing the battery when turned off when it turned back on it might trigger all warnings that would need to be corrected by the machine with software. Whether it was needed or not it has worked anyway 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 11:57pm
You changed the battery while the car was running to lower risk!!???? LOL

Edited by 9fingers - 31 May 2023 at 11:57pm
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 8:47am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

LOLLOL I can picture him with the marigolds on trying to attach the terminals with the engine running!
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 10:40am

Well I didn't. The brother did, to lower risk the car wouldn't recognize the battery. He may have been talking pony. He's not mechanic ha
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 11:41am

Well I didn't. The brother did, to lower risk the car wouldn't recognize the battery. He may have been talking pony. He's not mechanic ha

No sh*t.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

No sh*t.

LOL
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

No sh*t.

LOL
LOL
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 12:41pm

Yeah don’t do that 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 12:53pm

Yeah don’t do that 

I remember going to buy a car and the bloke said to bring it on a test drive but then says "don't cut out as there is no battery" so it must not be that uncommon to take it out while running! And when I was doing the test drive I did cut the car out when I went to take off LOL
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 1:44pm
Why buys a car with one of the main components missing from the engine LOL.

Was that not a red flag?
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 2:01pm

Yeah don’t do that 

I remember going to buy a car and the bloke said to bring it on a test drive but then says "don't cut out as there is no battery" so it must not be that uncommon to take it out while running! And when I was doing the test drive I did cut the car out when I went to take off LOL
By no battery I’d be 99% sure  he meant there’s no power in the battery. There aren’t cars out n about with batteries removed. 

You’re very lucky your brother didn’t cause a surge or a short and blow something 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 3:43pm

Was that not a red flag?

I wasn't taking it off him straight away and he was just giving me a test drive if I remember correctly. But now thinking about it could have been as 9F said that battery was just dead versus not in it. 

Listen ill just step out of this thread as I have shown my hand that I have absolutely no clue about what goes on under the Hood of the car LOL
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 4:20pm

Was that not a red flag?

I wasn't taking it off him straight away and he was just giving me a test drive if I remember correctly. But now thinking about it could have been as 9F said that battery was just dead versus not in it. 

Listen ill just step out of this thread as I have shown my hand that I have absolutely no clue about what goes on under the Hood of the car LOL

You're right Andy.

All these bleedin know it alls. I say keep going with your life endangering hacks. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 7:25pm

Was that not a red flag?

Battery probably was dead and if you jump started it and it cut out - you'd have to jump start it again.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 126127128129130 133>
  Share Topic