You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody know anything about cars?????!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125126 133>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 9:03am
Every person I know who has a 5 series is usually spending a bottomless pit of money getting the timing chain replaced and other stuff. Seems to be a very unreliable car.

Not sure it's a good time to buy a car as the price is very high for second hand cars.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Have the NCT next week and depending on the result may opt to buy a new car.

Was thinking of a 2012-2016 Volvo S60 purely from a  price point of view but ideally want want newer

or

BMW 5 Series

Dont really want to spend over 13,000 and had a look on Done Deal and Carzone but cars seem to be high mileage for high prices.

Want something reliable.  Like the BMW but would be afraid some boy racer or whoever would have driven it into the ground previously.
Like the Volvo S60 but looked it up and some website reckoned the 2012-2016 models were a bit dodgy for problems and reliability.  Not sure how true that is though.

Any recommendations?

p.s. I usually buy the car outright on the day but was wondering if hire purchase or leasing is a decent way to go? 
What do you need from a car? Big boot/5 seats/room for kids dogs

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 9:06am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Every person I know who has a 5 series is usually spending a bottomless pit of money getting the timing chain replaced and other stuff. Seems to be a very unreliable car.

Not sure it's a good time to buy a car as the price is very high for second hand cars.
Agreed. They’re a money pit 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 9:29am

Like the Volvo S60 but looked it up and some website reckoned the 2012-2016 models were a bit dodgy for problems and reliability.  Not sure how true that is though.

Google any car and you're only going to see common problems. No one goes on to car forums to post that they have owned a particular car for 3 years and nothing has gone wrong.

If you're looking at buying a 7-11 year old car then things will need replacing during your ownership.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 9:39am

Was thinking of a 2012-2016 Volvo S60 purely from a  price point of view but ideally want want newer

or

BMW 5 Series

Dont really want to spend over 13,000 and had a look on Done Deal and Carzone but cars seem to be high mileage for high prices.

Want something reliable.  Like the BMW but would be afraid some boy racer or whoever would have driven it into the ground previously.

Any recommendations?

p.s. I usually buy the car outright on the day but was wondering if hire purchase or leasing is a decent way to go? 

Can’t beat a Saab 
AKA pedantic kunt
Cabs88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabs88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 4:19pm
Volkswagen Tiguan. Worth it compared to a say - Hyundai Tucson? Need a big boot and will be plenty of miles put on it. 
Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Cabs88 Cabs88 wrote:

Volkswagen Tiguan. Worth it compared to a say - Hyundai Tucson? Need a big boot and will be plenty of miles put on it. 
I’d definitely pay the extra few quid for the Tiguan 

Cabs88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabs88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 6:08pm

Thanks for the quick response. Fine car and it ticks a lot of of boxes. 

Edited by Cabs88 - 15 Feb 2023 at 3:49am
Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 6:22pm
I’ve an X Trail. Need a big boot for a big dog! Have it over a year,so far so good
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

or

BMW 5 Series

Any recommendations?

Need a big boot as have a lot of equipment for work. Also would have a fairly long commute and travel around the country a bit so considering going diesel. 
Unfortunately the car market is terrible value right now.  12,000 euro for 120,000miles on the clock for 7 year old Volvos. 

S60, S90 and BMW 5 or 3 series is what I'm currently looking at but would be open to other suggestions. 

I like a nice classy interior, the glossier the dashboard the better!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 6:44pm

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

or

BMW 5 Series

Any recommendations?

Need a big boot as have a lot of equipment for work. Also would have a fairly long commute and travel around the country a bit so considering going diesel. 
Unfortunately the car market is terrible value right now.  12,000 euro for 120,000miles on the clock for 7 year old Volvos. 

S60, S90 and BMW 5 or 3 series is what I'm currently looking at but would be open to other suggestions. 

I like a nice classy interior, the glossier the dashboard the better!
Get yourself a nice Passat estate diesel, come in 1.6 & 2L the higher specd models have everything a 5series have plus reliability 
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 7:13pm
We are changing the family car at the minute. Down to one between us since we are both working from home. Bought a renault captur new in second half of 2020. Brought it in for a service last week so wanted to discuss what the payoff on three year PCP which is coming to an end.

Couldn't believe the price offered on the existing car was. Garage selling them used for 3k less than we paid for it almost three years ago when buying new. Even allowing the margin they wanted on trade in etc, a brand new car, driven for nearly three years cost us 5k in total. 

Have gone for another captur, different colour and higher spec model. Repayments all but the same bar the rise in rates but even that is fair enough and fixed for another three years. Were very happy with the car for the last while.
PCP works out great for low mileage - 22k in that time.

Edited by Saint Tom - 13 Feb 2023 at 7:14pm
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 7:50pm
Passats Clap

What about an A4/5? 

Have a Passat 18 months and it's a brilliant car. Lovely spec too. 

Edited by McG - 13 Feb 2023 at 7:50pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 8:46pm
What’s all this spec talk ?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 8:55pm
The market is mental.  Looked up Passats on Done Deal.  Min year 2016.  Max Price 15,000.  Most cars around around 13,000 euro with 120,000 -200,000 on the clockShocked
7 year old car with 150,000 and you are paying 12-15,000.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

LOL you're some man

It's extras in a car. i.e. cruise control, steering wheel controls, sunroof etc. 
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

LOL you're some man

It's extras in a car. i.e. cruise control, steering wheel controls, sunroof etc. 
I know what it means but don’t get the fascination LOL

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 9:10pm

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

LOL you're some man

I know what it means but don’t get the fascination LOL

Thought it might have been another 4th quarter LOL

AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125126 133>
  Share Topic