You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody know anything about cars?????!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 109110111112113 133>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 8:40pm
good point.  Another factor is that most financial advisors would say you are better off saving for a car then taking out a loan or PCP, however that often forgets the realities of life.  If for example you want or need a new car as your family getting bigger.  There is no point in saving for a number of years and by the time you have the money the need for the car has passed or the particular type of car. 

I think If you can get zero % finance and also save to cover the balloon payment a PCP would work for many and they have a modern safe car with plenty of boot space when they need it rathe than 5 years time when they don’t or it’s too late. 
AKA pedantic kunt
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 8:53pm
If you’re financially prudent PCP is fine, but the problem with it, and certainly at its launch it’s USP was getting you into a car you usually wouldn’t have a had a hope of getting. There’s clearly issues with that. As someone said earlier the regulator brought out an advertising campaign warning people over it. 
The lads on here that are using it, Sham etc seem to have very good financial knowledge but they’d be in minority. 
As I’ve said for years on this thread if it benefitted the customer more than supplier it wouldn’t exist. 
Each to their own etc etc but overall I wouldn’t recommend it on a forum to someone I don’t know 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

If you’re financially prudent PCP is fine, but the problem with it, and certainly at its launch it’s USP was getting you into a car you usually wouldn’t have a had a hope of getting. There’s clearly issues with that. As someone said earlier the regulator brought out an advertising campaign warning people over it. 
The lads on here that are using it, Sham etc seem to have very good financial knowledge but they’d be in minority. 
As I’ve said for years on this thread if it benefitted the customer more than supplier it wouldn’t exist. 
Each to their own etc etc but overall I wouldn’t recommend it on a forum to someone I don’t know 

Sound advice 
AKA pedantic kunt
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

good point.  Another factor is that most financial advisors would say you are better off saving for a car then taking out a loan or PCP, however that often forgets the realities of life.  If for example you want or need a new car as your family getting bigger.  There is no point in saving for a number of years and by the time you have the money the need for the car has passed or the particular type of car. 

I think If you can get zero % finance and also save to cover the balloon payment a PCP would work for many and they have a modern safe car with plenty of boot space when they need it rathe than 5 years time when they don’t or it’s too late. 

Absolutely. The most important thing is that people do their research. Need to get both the choice of car and choice of finance right. If you end up impulse buying then chances are that you have a car that will not suit and is unaffordable.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 9:23pm

That's a fair point 9fingers about not recommending it to someone on a forum you don't know. It is a good option for some but each buyer needs to do their own research and maths. 

Your point about it benefitting the supplier more than the customer, while valid applies to a whole host of other things. Like for example how if you want a reversing camera you can't just add that, you have to go for a higher spec and get 4 or 5 other features you don't necessarily want or need but are charged for as part of the 'package'.

sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 9:03am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

That's a fair point 9fingers about not recommending it to someone on a forum you don't know. It is a good option for some but each buyer needs to do their own research and maths. 

Your point about it benefitting the supplier more than the customer, while valid applies to a whole host of other things. Like for example how if you want a reversing camera you can't just add that, you have to go for a higher spec and get 4 or 5 other features you don't necessarily want or need but are charged for as part of the 'package'.

You can actually and can be fairly easy depending on the car, have retro fitted one myself. But back to topic and my main issue with PCP is not the balloon payment itself as everyone entering into these should clearly know about it but the approach of many when it comes to clearing it. A lot of these end up in people taking out loans which means in reality they can be paying for the car over an 8 year period when a traditional bank loan/finance would be offered over a 5 year max period.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

You can actually and can be fairly easy depending on the car, have retro fitted one myself. But back to topic and my main issue with PCP is not the balloon payment itself as everyone entering into these should clearly know about it but the approach of many when it comes to clearing it. A lot of these end up in people taking out loans which means in reality they can be paying for the car over an 8 year period when a traditional bank loan/finance would be offered over a 5 year max period.

Maybe some manufacturers do. Not all. Retrofitting is a different story. 
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 12:08pm
PCP is unregulated, you wouldn't take an unregulated loan for anything else.

Wouldn't be for me but if you're on top of things it should be fine. 
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Any idea how much it costs for fixing up scrapes on the side of me car. Some coont did the damge over the weekend on the front wheel arch. Might need a hammering too as there is a small dent.

Scratches on me car lads!! How much ?
Chips don't bounce
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 10:26pm

Any idea how much it costs for fixing up scrapes on the side of me car. Some coont did the damge over the weekend on the front wheel arch. Might need a hammering too as there is a small dent.

ill do it for free.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 10:29pm

Plenty of places give you a quote based on images.

Polish lad in Clonshaugh business park, Tomasz something. Google him.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 10:36pm

I’ll get my crystal ball out there, hang on 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 11:17pm

LOL pity you didn’t have it out before you lost the finger

Edited by Sham157 - 23 Mar 2021 at 11:17pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

LOL pity you didn’t have it out before you lost the finger

LOL
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 3:27pm
i40, 9f? avoid? ok?

Edited by McG - 12 Jul 2021 at 3:27pm
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 4:27pm
On a separate note, went to book NCT for my own car. Have they extended all NCTs? Cert says August. I try to book and it says not due until end of the year?

Edit... i see the extension on the main page Embarrassed

Edited by McG - 12 Jul 2021 at 4:41pm
AS YOU WERE McGx

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

i40, 9f? avoid? ok?
I own an estate i40. I bought an automatic one as the clutch & flywheels can give issues in manuals and can be expensive to replace. 1.7 diesel is pretty solid, it has a timing chain so no belt to replace but can get noisy if it hasn’t been serviced regularly so make sure the service history is decent. 
Boot in estate is massive, perfect for buggy & dog. 
Other than they’re grand, make sure you get a decent spec, reverse camera, satnav etc as it’ll help with resale value when it comes to trading in. 

Edited by 9fingers - 12 Jul 2021 at 5:25pm
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 11:52pm
did somebody on here have a back street garage/mechanic that specializes in Merc’s???
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 109110111112113 133>
  Share Topic