You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody know anything about cars?????!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 133>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:52am
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

French and Italian women Thumbs Up
French and Italian cars Thumbs Down

Generally great bodies, but awful temperamental.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:04am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

The cars or the women? Could genuinely apply to both!
@AntrimMan85
greengiant View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:05am
Anyone any experience of Nissan Primeras?,the one im looking at is an 02 1.6 petrol,85,000 miles??
The first two-syllable word I ever learned growing up was discretion." Dunphy on a his childhood
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:18am
Originally posted by greengiant greengiant wrote:

Anyone any experience of Nissan Primeras?,the one im looking at is an 02 1.6 petrol,85,000 miles??

Not a bad car, no timing belt on them, ask about service history as regular oil changes are very important. Probably best off getting it checked by a mechanic before you buy as they can have gearbox and front suspension issues but both are easily checked.
greengiant View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:38am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by greengiant greengiant wrote:

Not a bad car, no timing belt on them, ask about service history as regular oil changes are very important. Probably best off getting it checked by a mechanic before you buy as they can have gearbox and front suspension issues but both are easily checked.
Cheers lad!,gettin it cheap enough,hes throwin in a new clutch and im getting it fitted by a mate who has checked the car over,thanks Thumbs Up
The first two-syllable word I ever learned growing up was discretion." Dunphy on a his childhood
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:52am

That was the joke, damnit.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:54am

That was the joke, damnit.

Whoops LOL
@AntrimMan85
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:14pm
I ended up buying the accord estate and have to say its a top notch motor,great to drive and loads of extras......I stuck €40 worth of deisel in it last week and got 226 miles out of it...which I think works out at about 44mpg so it's not as bad as I first thought(a lot of that was city driving aswell) the missus drives the accord mostly and I'm in a 00 ford focus works out I'm getting 39mpg out of that and it's a 1.6 petrol......I give up!!
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

I ended up buying the accord estate and have to say its a top notch motor,great to drive and loads of extras......I stuck €40 worth of deisel in it last week and got 226 miles out of it...which I think works out at about 44mpg so it's not as bad as I first thought(a lot of that was city driving aswell) the missus drives the accord mostly and I'm in a 00 ford focus works out I'm getting 39mpg out of that and it's a 1.6 petrol......I give up!!

That model (99-05)Ford focus is probably the best car made in the last 15 years.
When you take the accord on a long motorway spin you'll get serious mpg out of it. I think you made the right choice over the A4
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:43pm
Have to say fingers the focus hasn't missed a beat in the 6 years I've had it.....I was never one for mpg in cars until I just a worked it out for the accord and said I'd do it for the focus....39 mpg for an 00 is great going.yeah I'm chuffed with the accord,it seems the more deisel I put into it the longer it lasts if you know what I mean
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 6:13pm
Need some car advice 9Fingers.

Went for my pre-NCT check today, car (03 Almera) was moving nicely so wasn't expecting much.

First off, needs 2 new tyres (185/65/15) - no brainer, but yer man is quoting me €100 for Firestone or €90 for Nove. Bit much?

Then apparently I need a new Gearbox Mount (quoted €245) and Exhaust Middle Box (€150). Are these both things you'd fail the NCT for? Are the prices right? Both prices are supplied and fitted.

And feedback would be great.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Went for my pre-NCT check today, car (03 Almera) was moving nicely so wasn't expecting much.

First off, needs 2 new tyres (185/65/15) - no brainer, but yer man is quoting me €100 for Firestone or €90 for Nove. Bit much?

Then apparently I need a new Gearbox Mount (quoted €245) and Exhaust Middle Box (€150). Are these both things you'd fail the NCT for? Are the prices right? Both prices are supplied and fitted.

Very expensive garage.
Tyres way too dear.
In total he's looking for €595. You could easily get all that done for €400-450 put it through the NCT, see what it fails on and fix accordingly.
Don't waste money on Bridgestone tyres etc but don't go for second ones either! Somewhere around €50 each would be both a decent tyre and decent value
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 6:33pm
9f,

Grinding noise going left and right - it's not too bad. - CV boots or joint?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 6:58pm

Very expensive garage.
Tyres way too dear.
In total he's looking for €595. You could easily get all that done for €400-450 put it through the NCT, see what it fails on and fix accordingly.
Don't waste money on Bridgestone tyres etc but don't go for second ones either! Somewhere around €50 each would be both a decent tyre and decent value
Cheers, figured it seemed a bid expensive alright. I'll ring around a few more garages in the morning to get more quotes. I've the NCT booked for next Thursday, would the Gearbox Mount and/or Exhaust Middle Box be reasons to fail the NCT?
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 7:12pm

Very expensive garage.
Tyres way too dear.
Cheers, figured it seemed a bid expensive alright. I'll ring around a few more garages in the morning to get more quotes. I've the NCT booked for next Thursday, would the Gearbox Mount and/or Exhaust Middle Box be reasons to fail the NCT?

Yeah both would be reasons for failure but both would have to be quite bad to fail the NCT

Edited by 9fingers - 14 Nov 2013 at 7:13pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

9f,

what car? Worn Cv joint will give a loud quick knocking noise (quicker the speed quicker the knock) when the steering is on full lock

Edited by 9fingers - 14 Nov 2013 at 7:16pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 7:32pm

9f,

what car? Worn Cv joint will give a loud quick knocking noise (quicker the speed quicker the knock) when the steering is on full lock

Lexus IS200.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 7:40pm

9f,

Lexus IS200.

Won't be a cv joint so as drive shafts are on the back axle so don't steer! Front wheel bearing possibly?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 133>
  Share Topic