Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Germany / Kazakhstan Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 36>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Germany / Kazakhstan Match Thread
    Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 8:32pm
Haven't seen a match thread for these yet.

When is the squad announced? Be interesting to see if King includes the likes of Gibson & Andy Reid. Although some may see these as meaningless games, we are fighting to stay in pot two for European Championships qualifying draw.
Sponsored Links

daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 8:37pm
Dont think we will see any new faces brought into the squad until the new manager is appointed.
Good luck to Noel in these 2 games, one of irish footballs true gents of the game
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 8:44pm
Friday or maybe Friday week
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 9:14pm
Announced Friday. Gibson is a cert IMO. Probably Stokes too seeing as hes played under him. Not so sure about Reid.

Delaney/Pearce probably be in with Sledge injured and Dunne and O Shea out. Will Keane come over? Brady may be in the 21s squad
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 9:22pm
Yeah I can see Stokes being named alright along with Gibson. Keane will 100% travel, can't see him opting out. Be interesting to see who starts CB in Cologne. Clark is a cert I'd say if he's fit but wonder who will partner him.
colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by El_nino El_nino wrote:

Yeah I can see Stokes being named alright along with Gibson. Keane will 100% travel, can't see him opting out. Be interesting to see who starts CB in Cologne. Clark is a cert I'd say if he's fit but wonder who will partner him.
o'dea I would guess
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

o'dea I would guess

Would certainly be him if Trap was still in charge. Just wondering if King will see things differently.
Greengunner View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greengunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 11:25pm

Id like to see Stephen kelly and Clark myself
rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 11:29pm
Kelly ain't a centre back.
rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 11:33pm
My team for Germany provided everyone is fit and available

Westwood
Coleman....Clark...Wilson...Joey O Brien.
..............McCarthy....Gibson..................
..Pilkington....Hoolahan.........Brady......
.........................Keane/Stokes or Long..
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 11:36pm
Gibson was way off the pace tonight for Everton. Notwithstanding his lack of fitness, he was poor all round. Mistimed challenges, overhit passes, would not be starting against Germany on that kind of form.

McCarthy was fairly anonymous for a lot of the first half (Everton's best spell). Neat passer of the ball but then seems to find himself in a position where he cant retrieve it again, and as has been pointed out doesn't go looking for it enough. Got stuck in in the second half but overall, not his best performance although better than Gibson.

Coleman was good tonight. One of the few Everton players to emerge with any credit, although he missed a really good chance to equalise late on when all he had to do was hit the target but he messed it up.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Greengunner View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greengunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by rainpaulo rainpaulo wrote:

Kelly ain't a centre
back.

Id much rather him than O' Dea. He played their for 2 friendlys If i remember correctly. Not really blessed with options for cover in this game. Wilson not an option for me
coleman's View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coleman's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 12:14am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Gibson was way off the pace tonight for Everton. Notwithstanding his lack of fitness, he was poor all round. Mistimed challenges, overhit passes, would not be starting against Germany on that kind of form.

McCarthy was fairly anonymous for a lot of the first half (Everton's best spell). Neat passer of the ball but then seems to find himself in a position where he cant retrieve it again, and as has been pointed out doesn't go looking for it enough. Got stuck in in the second half but overall, not his best performance although better than Gibson.

Coleman was good tonight. One of the few Everton players to emerge with any credit, although he missed a really good chance to equalise late on when all he had to do was hit the target but he messed it up.
Not sure about coleman tonight rolo, that miss was shocking, and he wasn't very influential, still he must've going mad at deulofeu to pass the bloody thing. also gibson was at fault for fulhams second, didn't close quick enough and turned his back on the play. McCarthy was quiet and both midfileder's seemed to lose the ball a lot which resulted in those mistimed challenges
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 12:23am
McCarthy is very shy. I hope he comes out of his shell more because he needs to find more aggression and voice on the pitch and be more demanding of himself and his team mates. He has a tendency to let games pass him by. Needs to learn how to take a game by the scruff of the neck and 'own' it.  He doesn't seem great when things are going against his team. He's not a fighter.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 12:24am
It was a very bad miss. No complaints there. Should have hit the target.

I think other than that though he was ok tonight. You certainly couldnt say he had a bad game. Whereas most of the other Everton players were shocking.

Yeah Gibson was at fault for that goal. Not Ireland material on that performance. Not in time for Germany anyway

Edited by rolo - 25 Sep 2013 at 12:25am
IrwinClass View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrwinClass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 4:18am

Gibson was rusty no doubt, although he was still better than McCarthy for me, both were quite poor overall though. To say McCarthy was anonymous is a bit of an understatement. At least you knew Gibson was on the pitch. Mistimed challenges? Karagounis made a meal of the first foul and the second foul on Parker looked like a great tackle. Gibson appeared to be slack for the goal although he showed Bent onto his left foot and Robles should be saving that really from that angle.

Germany is 2 and a half weeks away and Everton have two games before that, so no reason for Gibson to not be in the squad unless you've discovered some new midfielders.

Edited by IrwinClass - 25 Sep 2013 at 4:19am
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 11:04am

Shane Duffy?? but imagine he would stay with U21 him being captain and all
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 11:09am
Originally posted by IrwinClass IrwinClass wrote:

Gibson was rusty no doubt, although he was still better than McCarthy for me, both were quite poor overall though. To say McCarthy was anonymous is a bit of an understatement. At least you knew Gibson was on the pitch. Mistimed challenges? Karagounis made a meal of the first foul and the second foul on Parker looked like a great tackle. Gibson appeared to be slack for the goal although he showed Bent onto his left foot and Robles should be saving that really from that angle.

Germany is 2 and a half weeks away and Everton have two games before that, so no reason for Gibson to not be in the squad unless you've discovered some new midfielders.

Never said Gibson shouldnt be in the squad, if you read my post - which you quoted - I said he shouldnt be starting against Germany.

As for McCarthy, yeah I do agree than anonymous was an understatement, he was invisible in the first half. But he improved in the second half.

Overall, I am very worried about our midfield after last night. There is no doubt that both are talented players, but if both play like that against Germany we will get a hiding.

This game in Cologne is going to be a very long 90 minutes.

Edited by rolo - 25 Sep 2013 at 11:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 36>
  Share Topic