You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wetherspoons in Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 39>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 5:37pm
They are boring dull places but hopefully when they enter they'll force other pubs to drop their prices.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 6:28pm
Social colonisation compete. Well done. 

Roooooooonnneeyyy!!!  (in manc accent obviously) 
@AntrimMan85
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 7:06pm
Souless kips. I wish all these English chains would f**k right off. Destroying Irish owned business here for the past ten years. Look at most towns up in the occupied six, destroyed by the likes of asdas, sainsburys and the likes.
Chips don't bounce
Rostrevor Fan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rostrevor Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Souless kips. I wish all these English chains would f**k right off. Destroying Irish owned business here for the past ten years. Look at most towns up in the occupied six, destroyed by the likes of asdas, sainsburys and the likes.

Agree DA everyone should buy Irish lets support our local Lidl and Aldi Wink
IrishPride View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishPride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Please no! feckin souless kips that sell dirt cheap poor quality food.

Will be interesting to see how the likes of Diageo deal with them. They won't want them cutting the prices like they do in England.

Hopefully this is not the start of the english style chain pubs that many breweries own coming to Ireland. If they do it will be the death of the irish local. So few independently owned pubs over here now.
This

Drink Prices are only a partial consideration when I decide which pub I go to. Mostly its the atmosphere of the public house and the friendlyness of the other punters and bar staff.

To see the old style traditional Irish pubs die out would be a crying shame...
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 7:56pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:34pm
Was in a few of these during the time of the London games. Fairly artificial and little or no atmosphere. Might get people going in there early in the night for a few filler drinks. I'd imagine all the tourists would still want the old time pub vibe when they come to Dublin.

bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:38pm
Awful kips with awful food. All they do is deep fry mccains food and put it on a plate
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:49pm
My cousin's friend worked in one for a while and he reckons the Sunday roasts are all premade on polystyrene plates and but in a microwave for a few minutes before being transferred to a plate.must be fookin rotten .they are actually dear when you consider they are just microwave dinners that are being served.
brissy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:50pm
Been in rakes of them in u.k all fine apart from birmghan full of cracks heads had one drink and legged it.They would be great over here if ran proper,pubs are to expensive.
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:52pm
Absolute dumps! Generally full of the local skanks, drug users, etc.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:52pm
Down with personal choice! no to wheterspoons!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Down with personal choice! no to wheterspoons!

wanna drink in weatherspoons ? travel to the UK
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 9:40pm
They have 18 of them in Watford and one in Luton , hey says it all really Dead
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 9:42pm
NO reason they cannot open here.  Why should the public licence alochol trade be restricted from branding like nearly every other private trade out there. I will not go to them and I have no interest in them but I do not want to live in a world where things I do not like get banned.  

In addition it may mean people who like these pubs do not go into the pubs I like.  Win win.
AKA pedantic kunt
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

NO reason they cannot open here.  Why should the public licence alochol trade be restricted from branding like nearly every other private trade out there. I will not go to them and I have no interest in them but I do not want to live in a world where things I do not like get banned.  

In addition it may mean people who like these pubs do not go into the pubs I like.  Win win.
Could also mean that pubs you like are forced to close down as they are unable to compete with these 'superpubs'.

Two sides to every coin unfortunately Cry 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Could also mean that pubs you like are forced to close down as they are unable to compete with these 'superpubs'.

Two sides to every coin unfortunately Cry 
So what. Competition is good. Publicans milked it for years.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 9:54pm
The only issue I  would have is that if they get into below cost selling which I think should be made illegal, but this goes on at the moment anyway. 

Its very hard to for a government to protect unprofitable business by preventing other business from opening.  Its a dangerous road if the government go down that way and in the end it does not work as it encourages inefficiencies.
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 39>
  Share Topic