You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wetherspoons in Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 39>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Never got the idea of a pub showing the news. Surely a pub is meant to be an escape from all the sh*te on the news for a few hours. 
Spot on. Horse Racing although I dont gamble, football or turned off.

The Tuning Fork used to have Sky Movies on some times. Few pints at the bar watching Old School Thumbs Up

In truth they just used to give you the remote and let you do what you want. What a pub it was Clap. RIP Tuner.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 10:08am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

But why travel abroad to go to an Irish pub? It blows my mind

In fairness I am in full agreement with your general sentiment - if I'm on holiday with the missus or a random lads trip away an Irish bar would be bottom of my list of places to visit. I think there is a valid exception for Ireland away games though for obvious enough, non-twisted, reasons.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 10:13am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Never got the idea of a pub showing the news. Surely a pub is meant to be an escape from all the sh*te on the news for a few hours. 

The Tuning Fork used to have Sky Movies on some times. Few pints at the bar watching Old School Thumbs Up

In truth they just used to give you the remote and let you do what you want. What a pub it was Clap. RIP Tuner.
TunerClap
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 11:35am
Haven't been in a Wetherspoons in years but there is one in town that's supposed to to have amazing architecture so will pop in there for a pint some time 
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

TunerClap

Kinda apt as it's a funeral home now
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 12:28pm

Was in a pub in Carlingford once (up around the corner from Taaffe's) and  5 or 6 locals were sitting there watching RTE Nationwide. 
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 12:33pm

It's used as a plot device in many films, that's why.
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Was in a pub in Carlingford once (up around the corner from Taaffe's) and  5 or 6 locals were sitting there watching RTE Nationwide. 

Work in Headford in Galway and head up to a pub for my lunch the odd time, always a couple of old lads drinking Guinness and watching Home and Away or Neighbours on the telly LOL
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

TunerClap

Kinda apt as it's a funeral home now

Charlie Chalk had big plans for it in the 90's but wasn't able to come to an agreement with all the cottage owners to sell.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Work in Headford in Galway and head up to a pub for my lunch the odd time, always a couple of old lads drinking Guinness and watching Home and Away or Neighbours on the telly LOL

Their is/was an early house around smithfield called Delaney's that used to show "westerns" on a big screen for the punters...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Their is/was an early house around smithfield called Delaney's that used to show "westerns" on a big screen for the punters...

It's still there alright
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

It's still there alright
LOL
Top punning! Clap
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 10:30pm
Lot of people calling for a boycott of Spoons pubs when the virus has gone over Tim Martin's treatment of his staff but how many will actually go through with it?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Lot of people calling for a boycott of Spoons pubs when the virus has gone over Tim Martin's treatment of his staff but how many will actually go through with it?
Not many. It's a pub for people who can't get served anywhere else. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Not many. It's a pub for people who can't get served anywhere else. 
 Big smile
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:39pm
I was talking to a couple of people who work for microbreweries in Durham and Sunderland and they were saying that Wethersponns owe them 5/6 weeks money which they won't get till the pubs reopen.

Angry
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 10:49pm
That's one of the things he has been rightly condemned for. Whether his selfish arrogant ways will drive people away from his pubs only time will tell but I have my doubts. They're cheap-same reason Ryanair has been profitable despite the insufferable antics of Michael O'Leary. The Belfast Wetherspoons used to attract the dregs of society and employed a small army of bouncers to cope with all the fights but has evolved into an ordinary enough pub where cheap meals as well as beer attracted a healthy profit before the lockdown.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

That's one of the things he has been rightly condemned for. Whether his selfish arrogant ways will drive people away from his pubs only time will tell but I have my doubts. They're cheap-same reason Ryanair has been profitable despite the insufferable antics of Michael O'Leary. The Belfast Wetherspoons used to attract the dregs of society and employed a small army of bouncers to cope with all the fights but has evolved into an ordinary enough pub where cheap meals as well as beer attracted a healthy profit before the lockdown.
I don't know about Dublin but a large amount of people that go to the one in Cork are people who can't get served anywhere else. That and people too mean to pay €3:50 for a Beamish in a normal pub.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 39>
  Share Topic