You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 376377378379380 419>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 2:37pm
Glad this didn't drag on till the spring, when things would undoubtedly have gotten even worse. Let's hope the new manager gets us back on track, playing some semblance of decent football and scoring again. 
Sponsored Links

cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 2:42pm
Wonder if Crowley will finally get a call now
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

The bottom line is that we have to qualify for the euros so whoever we get in must get us there. 
No we don't.

Bigger picture please, get off the carousel.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 2:43pm
There was no logic keeping him on
(A) No signs of any progress in our play.
(B) We would be very unlikely to qualify if we can't even get a shot on goal
(C) Fans are fed up and are staying away, losing millions in revenue between now and euros.

Paying him off and getting someone else in at least you have the chance of creating a bit of optimism and maybe a new approach (new style, different players) will click. 
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

There was no logic keeping him on
(A) No signs of any progress in our play.
(B) We would be very unlikely to qualify if we can't even get a shot on goal
(C) Fans are fed up and are staying away, losing millions in revenue between now and euros.

Paying him off and getting someone else in at least you have the chance of creating a bit of optimism and maybe a new approach (new style, different players) will click. 

Stats showed we had gone seriously downhill. Possession stats dropped alarmingly in the last 12 months and we were creating virtually nothing. It looked like we we were playing deeper than ever and barely even getting out of our own half in most matches.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

The bottom line is that we have to qualify for the euros so whoever we get in must get us there. 
No we don't.

This. 
While it’d be great to qualify, our long term future is far more important 
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 2:52pm

No we don't.

For John Delaney it is essential we qualify for the euros where were are going to be one of the hosts. He is not going to appoint someone with no international experience.
The only way is up
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 2:56pm
Similar to Jack Charlton, Kerr, and Trapp. A bad year and that was sufficient to end the tenure, in spite of what has gone before. In 2017 the PO qualification and the win in Wales was sufficient to at least forward an argument that we had done reasonably well. 

2018 was incredibly poor, and on so many levels from HR and PR difficulties, players refusing call ups, conservative tactics, strange attitudes to certain players, odd strategy. The list could go on. But we are a very different team from the one that was well
Organised and resilient at Euro 2016. We did suffer from injury, but there was a visible change after Euro 2016, and we eventually suffered as a result. 

For me, MON did manage to achieve good things during his tenure. The individual results against Germany (2014. & 2015), Bosnia, Austria, Italy and Wales were major highlights. Although we didn’t win, outplaying Sweden in Paris for 60 minutes was fantastic. Getting to the WC play offs was another achievement, and we were 60 minutes away from Russia before the floodgates opened.

The difficulties have only become apparent since the Danish game (although Georgia in 2017 and Austria at home gave indicators). This malaise followed into this year and a change of management was needed.
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 2:59pm
Big Sam will be the man to get Rice in the squad
He'll be able to sell the benefits of 80 Ireland caps instead of 1 cap for England
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 3:02pm

No we don't.

For John Delaney it is essential we qualify for the euros where were are going to be one of the hosts. He is not going to appoint someone with no international experience.
That's where I stopped reading.

Bigger picture....get rid of Delaney.

It can be done, grassroots need to oust this despot, that's where his support lies.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Good that common sense prevailed.
This management team lost everyone - the dressing room, the fans and the plot, after the Denmark play off debacle.
Last 12 months have been awful, should just be stricken from memory/record books.

Actually, it's a good job the Nations League was there, otherwise the September/October/November horror show would have had us practically eliminated from Euro 2020 already
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 3:17pm
One positive of him not taking the Stoke job is that I honestly think JD would have been given the job to Keane at that stage. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

One positive of him not taking the Stoke job is that I honestly think JD would have been given the job to Keane at that stage. 

Agreed
El Puto Amo
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Embarrassing 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 3:36pm
Thought it was pretty funny from Territorial myself
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 3:46pm
'Agent Marty' led us to competative victories over the World Champions, Italy, Wales, Bosnia and Austria..all of whom were ranked above us. He got us to the last 16 in the Euros and a World Cup play off.

Yes the wheels have come off wagon in the last 12 months and it was time to go but he gave us a really enjoyable first 3 years following Ireland. History will be kind to him me thinks 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 3:56pm
It's a tough one for me. While I acknowledge he gave us good moments and massive highs I would go as far to say as we were also very lucky during his time. 

I actually think his time as manager could have been so much better. We could have won that group where we needed a playoff with Bosnia and we should have got to Russia. 

We never had any tactics other than keep it tight and those home games v Wales, Austria and Serbia in particular really f**king hurt. We played against 10 men in two of those and we never capitalised and against Serbia the tactics were all wrong. He had no plan B and that was very visible and we never learned from our previous mistakes. Short corner routine away in Scotland springs to mind and that home game v Austria where we were caught again by a poorly executed move. 

He picked players on loyalty rather than on form and he is was always liable for a mental decision 1 hour from KO in a big game. The players didn't know where they stood and that kamikaze style of management will only get you so far. Kevin Long started his first game and virus in midfield spring to mind. 

He put down our players and us as a nation so for me it is going to be very hard to like him again. He made me hate him which is poor management because it's very hard to lose us as Irish fans. The likes of Rolo and a few more turning says it all really. I was staunch Keane and MON and I'm happy to admit I was wrong. TJ and a few more called his style and also predicted the end. 

Please don't let it be big Sam or some circus act journeyman. 

I would love Kenny, I would be happy with Mick I suppose to an extent but think we need something new. Hughton would be amazing but not realistic and Rodgers would be too expensive. 

ybig

**feels like yesterday when I was celebrating the appointment of the "dream team". 

Edited by kearney304 - 21 Nov 2018 at 3:58pm
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 3:57pm
Thanks for the Euros, and some great one-off performances.

Even when things weren't working out the team had a never say die attitude, and scored lots of late goals. 

But the drop in form after Vienna is inexplicable.

We were in a commanding position with 4 home games to play, but the air slowly left the tires until they exploded against Denmark.

Goes down as a massive opportunity missed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 376377378379380 419>
  Share Topic