Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 375376377378379 419>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

remember there was a sub-committee put together to put a name forward after a series of interviews. Houghton was on it etc. What manager did we end up with,was it Kerr?

Hold your horses there young fella if I recall Brian Kerr's win/ration was hell of a lot better than MON, Trap, Stan, Mick & Jack and most of them had way better squads Brian Kerr got the sh*tty end of the stick remember when McCarthy should of be gone after the WC and Saipan he stayed on got off to a bad start in our EC2004 campaign and then abandoned us! Brian Kerr as we all know was treated very badly after all this!
im asking a question as I can’t remember what manager that was for!

Was it not the one for Trap  ? Don Howe, Ray Houghton and Don Givens ? 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:01pm
Yeah could have been! 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:07pm
Yeah, I think it was for Trap.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:16pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:22pm
Seeing the following getting branded around again

Seriously how unprofessional was he towards Tony O'Donoghue here
 He didn't say as much but I think Tony is glad he's gone

rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Yeah, I think it was for Trap.

Houghton also did the interviews for the job in '13. Interviewed keane and o'neill as they put their names forward for the job.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

TOD is an arse and has been with Ireland managers for a long time
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

TOD is an arse and has been with Ireland managers for a long time

I don't think he asked any questions there that would have been unexpected to O'Neill and to any other Irish Manager in his time covering our games.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:29pm
Thank goodness the FAI did the right thing at least.

It was heading towards us losing to a Malta or Luxembourg in a half empty Aviva next year, you could just see it coming.
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:35pm
Didn't john giles fly over to meet Paul Jewell in Spoons in Wigan when he was on the selection committee :)

if we have burnt cash paying them off so what. sunk cost we move on and make sure we do not dish out contract extensions so easily after a decent win or two. Most managerial reigns have a bad ending, monroy's was as bad as i can remember in terms of results and the absolutely scandalous product their team served up since the Austria game. Its over now. It was not without its highlights but the last 12 months really detracted from them. We had some great one off victories, next step is to actually performing consistently and having an actual strategy to win games. 

I would give Stephen Kenny a 2 year contract and let him at it. He will get support and patience from most of us as long as his teams are well drilled and give off the impression they actually have a plan and do some work on the training ground. 

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:44pm

The bottom line is that we have to qualify for the euros so whoever we get in must get us there. 
The only way is up
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:52pm
Thought He should've been kept on, for the remainder of this qualification period. It will only be about 8 months of qualification, and the new manager will justify use the escuse He needs "time to build"

I knew Hed walk and not see out his contract. He wasnt gonna do a Trap

Pity the other tool at the top wouldnt walk too and take his mafia with him
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:54pm
Remember we are a host city for Euro 2020. I'd say this was a massive component behind the decision. Ireland not being at the party? 

Delighted the change was made. Albeit, much later on.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:55pm
Good that common sense prevailed.
This management team lost everyone - the dressing room, the fans and the plot, after the Denmark play off debacle.

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Remember we are a host city for Euro 2020. I'd say this was a massive component behind the decision. Ireland not being at the party? 

Delighted the change was made. Albeit, much later on.

Also the timing is perfect. Gives the new manager 3-4 months to prepare for the first set of qualifiers - plenty of time for a manager to go and watch players, meet some of them etc.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Thought He should've been kept on, for the remainder of this qualification period. It will only be about 8 months of qualification, and the new manager will justify use the escuse He needs "time to build"

I knew Hed walk and not see out his contract. He wasnt gonna do a Trap

Pity the other tool at the top wouldnt walk too and take his mafia with him

He didn't walk.  He ''left by mutual consent'' i.e. sacked and got a payoff.  He was bullish he was the man for the job yesterday so he hardly resigned.  In fact Walford left the set up for personal reasons and MON said he would miss him from the set up.  That was yesterday.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 2:16pm
Aye, and the RTE report states MON  said Walford ''hasn't been with us for a while''. We were so well coached we obviously didn't require a replacement. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

The last 2 years have seen such a regression it can be hard to remember that we had some fantastic results under MON and a great Euros in France, no matter what people say about the Italy team we faced it was an absolutely magic night in Lille and nothing can take away from that for me.

But since Austria away, the performances and results have been absolutely shocking. Scraped into a playoff after beating a Welsh team without Bale and with Allen going off injured, and totally exposed against Denmark at home for having the team unprepared and no tactics. Should have gone after that but we got there eventually.

Exactly. The last two years have seen one good result. The two years before that saw four excellent results.

If you rank results as "good", "acceptable" and "bad", in the last two years we have had one good result (Wales (a) 1-0), a decent number of acceptable results, but a heap of downright bad results (Denmark (h) 1-5, Wales (a) 1-4, Serbia (h) 0-1 and Georgia (a) 1-1, leaving aside the four competitive home draws as well) and none of those performances were anything to write home about.

In the two years before that, we had a heap of good results (Germany (h) 1-0, Austria (a) 1-0, Italy (n) 1-0, Bosnia (h) 2-0) and going just a tiny bit further, Germany (a) 1-1. There were no downright bad results in that same period, even if the likes of the home games v Poland, Scotland and Georgia were nothing to get excited about.

The standard of results, never mind performances, has declined massively. There has been no sign of improvement lately either and the football has been nigh on unwatchable.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 21 Nov 2018 at 2:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 375376377378379 419>
  Share Topic